264 messages over 33 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 32 33 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 1 of 264
01 January 2012 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
|| Teams: Caesar (captain) == *jäŋe/*ledús == Rätsel == Spanish == Rare == Advanced ESL == Advanced Study Group ||

This will be my log. And among other things I'll aim to analyze and show how optimization can be applied to language learning. Basically, for cis women, the hormone levels vary according to a monthly pattern... which gives us optimum times for various activities - simply the preferable time to do this or that thing. These might be individual, but most of the time the factors that explain them are the same. In this log I'll be describing only those things that have to do with language learning, but trust me, this affects everything in life. This changed my life.

Language-related wishlist as of December 2013:
I don't plan/hope to do ALL of these in 2014! it's a longer-term list.
-see JP Leppäluoto live with Raskas joulu and Harmaja
-travel somewhere outside Europe, probably nothing more exotic than Turkey, Israel, Egypt, Kazakhstan or perhaps something in the Asian part of Russia
-read ASOIAF when George Martin writes the last book
-fly Finnair, most likely to somewhere outside Finland
-visit Hamburg on its Hafengeburtstag
...to be continued...

Tadoku:
-for January I signed up with Finnish, German and Spanish. Goal - 914 pages, reached exactly that. 158 German, 344 Spanish, 412 Finnish.
-for the 2-week round in March I signed up with Portuguese, Polish and German and a modest goal of 149. Got 436.97 pages, of which 27 in German, 103 in Polish (practically zero previous study!), 306.97 in Portuguese. for the next round I'll do Portuguese and Italian, and maybe Polish, German or Finnish.
-for January 2013 I did Italian, Polish and German. the total score is 749.33, out of which 78 in German (didn't count how the rest are split).
-for the 2-week round in March it was Italian, Portuguese and Belarusian. a total of 630 which is great - just 120 pages less than what I did in the whole month of January!
-June 2013: Portuguese, Polish, Croatian. Great scores in the first two for a total of 643. Only 19 pages in Croatian.
-In August 2013 I took the plunge and did a masochistic two-week Tadoku with German. Also Swedish and Dutch for an illusion of choice, but they got 4 and 6 pages respectively. German got 69 - one page less than in the second half of January! Although if it wasn't for the challenge I'd have been reading PT, PL, IT, HR, and I've had a significant improvement in German too.
-October 2013: Italian, Croatian and Polish. Prepared for Malta, read the Sapkowski trylogy, very little Croatian. 464 pages.
-In January 2014 I did the same languages as in January 2012, apart from German. Finnish and Spanish though, yeeees. Also Portuguese. Mostly Portuguese, actually. 730 pages total.
-In March 2014 I finally started Swedish. Also good old friends Italian and Polish. Got a total of 210 pages.
-In June 2014 I did Italian and Swedish. As well as German, which was incredibly relieving since I was done with uni. 367/73/145 pages respectively, and I finally reached the Gold tier after registering 121 pages on the last day!

6WC STATS:

-February - Indonesian
-May - Polish
-August - Spanish
-November - Belarusian
-May - Croatian
-November - Italian
-February - Romanian
-May - Swedish
-the latest stats

My consistency thread goals are listed a few posts down the page.

Challenges archive: super challege | reineke's challenge

ա

Edited by Serpent on 27 October 2018 at 12:54am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 264
01 January 2012 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
This post will summarize any discoveries related to the hormonal monthly cycle and language learning.

active phase
A great time for starting new goals, hopefully works for the consistency thread as well.
Extremely productive time, most of my frustrations are a result of not remembering that this phase won't last forever.
Good time for organizing your studies, looking at the greater picture and figuring out what you need to work on. Facing your weaknesses.

expressive phase
conclusions from the last time:
-i'm all emo
-need audiobooks with sexy voices (mmm the dragon talk in the German hobbit!) or just focusing on the languages that have a more romantic feeling about them (for me that's Croatian and Italian mostly)
-need to be more attentive when checking the football schedules in this phase.
-i'm very accepting and i should learn not to skip classes especially in this week. also relatively talkative in class.
-did a translation quite easily
-able to say things nicely/politely, at this forum too. also no longer frustrated about the lack of interest in my thread on optimization for females
-can't make a neat, organized list of conclusions.

creative/PMS
Great time for writing. I always write a few decent forum posts.
Only light reading, whichever way you define it (*cough*Hermione*cough*).

reflective phase
Passive. L-R. SRS repetitions. sensitive. tender.
a good time to read horoscopes and reflect on them, gotta find some horoscopes in foreign languages. EDIT: in fact, anything that has to do with psychology/sociology etc is fantastic too. if you have this guilty pleasure, find foreign sites on these topics in advance or at least make sure to know the terms to google.
TYPOS. formatting forum posts almost difficult too. should've maybe ignored the date and put off posting this whole log
Need to have the dictionaries etc readily available. Can't be bothered to go and grab them if I'm reading in bed for example.
I tend to start doubting my goals are realistic.
Very sensitive to the pronunciation/phonetics.

Edited by Serpent on 01 January 2014 at 6:54am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 3 of 264
01 January 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Specific things to do/read/watch (updated in January 2013)

-Work on my medical vocabulary, especially in Italian and German for which I already have the materials
-Get a "medical Latin" textbook. Work on some "tourist Latin" too if I find some resources.
-a big book about calcio
-books about my favourite teams Benfica and Fiorentina
-reread The Master and Margaret, in 2014 it'll be 13 years since I read it ;) Also Dog's Heart
-get more exposure to Italian audio with female voices
-reread Ennen päivänlaskua ei voi. Or more like Der Troll
-read the Belarusian translation of Yhdeksän miehen saappaat
-a few books in Spanish
-a few books in Croatian
-go through all Assimil courses I have for my non-fluent languages
-watch A Very Potter Musical (in English)
-read the HP analysis that friend sent me (also English)
-coursera stuff like the history of rock and about computers as well
-Ilya Frank method books in Romanian and Dutch
-watch Thor
-start learning the Devanagari script
-reach 50 consecutive days in the consistency thread
-later reach 99 days; also 100+ total

Edited by Serpent on 12 January 2014 at 6:21am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 4 of 264
01 January 2012 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Defeat is not when you fall down, it is when you refuse to get up.

My goals for the consistency thread:

07 days - Serpent, Polish, L2 audio+L2 text, 15 mins
6+4+3+2+1+3=18 days - Serpent, Polish, shadowing, 5 mins
3+2+3=8 days - Serpent, Polish, tongue twisters, 5 mins
(my original note about the first one: completed, got pretty comfortable with the spelling!)
These have helped me enormously before my trip to Poland. A lot of the shadowing was done during LR, as more and more phrases became so familiar that I felt like saying them aloud. I got quite a decent pronunciation, good enough to get difficult responses sometimes :P

1+2+5+3+1+10=22 days - Serpent, Spanish, one episode of Destinos on weekdays
watched the whole thing! I used subtitles, it helped my Spanish for sure. 6WC was a great excuse to watch it hehehe. I'll watch some of the episodes again for sure, like #41, 43, 15, 22 for example.

3+9+2+4=18 days - Serpent, Danish, one Super Challenge item (completed HP 4, far more comfortable with the language now)
6+1+1+1+2+2=13 days - Serpent, Portuguese, adding cards focusing on verb forms, 14 cards, later 10 mins (easily added 100 cards in 6 days, the next 100 were slower. satisfied with 200 cards for now, though aiming for 500 eventually and 1000 one day)

1+2+4+3+12+3+18=43 days - Serpent, Polish, Reading (min 4 pages)
14 days - Serpent, Polish, Reading (min 1 poem)
And I completed the Super Challenge!

3+1+8+9+1+2+4+1+3+3+1+13=49 days - Serpent, Italian, Reading (min 7 pages)
And the Italian challenge too! Started midway through Tadoku on October 16 2013 with the hope to continue until the November 6WC ended. Actually kept reading until December 31.

4+6+9+1+6+2=28 days - Serpent, Spanish, reading, 4 pages (started during Tadoku January 2014; it quickly turned out that I own almost nothing interesting in Spanish, which made me discover this book, pre-loaded on my e-reader)

11+1+10=22 days - Serpent, Portuguese, reading 1 story from this book to honour the memory of Eusébio, Benfica legend who died on 5 January 2014. The book consists of 100 stories (mostly memorable matches) about Benfica in the 60's. Prior to the challenge I had read 28 of the stories, but I started with the story #12, about Eusébio's arrival. I finally read the book to the end, and the feeling of doing something meaningful helped me cope with my sorrow.

ACTIVE GOALS:
Serpent, Italian, reading, 3 pages - a very low-pressure goal in hope of reaching 99 days of consistency

other goals:
3+1+1 days
- Danish, LR for 30 minutes (abandoned)
2 days - Indonesian, singing (abandoned)
5+2 days - Portuguese, reading, 10 pages (abandoned)

ա

Edited by Serpent on 25 February 2014 at 4:46pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 5 of 264
01 January 2012 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
so finally just a usual post. here's what i typed up some time recently:

day 21: enjoying the jokes, but i can't read 3454368 pages at a time like in my active phase. taking the book every once in a while to read a little is better. (therefore taking it along for commuting is not a good idea)

day 23: been thinking a lot about the process of learning languages, probably too much. discovered i might be stuck in grammar-translation when it comes to German. the prof gave us sentences to translate at home, i wrote them down in finnish (what a waste of time to write 15 or so sentences in russian!) and i translated them using my new finnish-german-finnish dictionary<333 i've done so many stupid German translations for classes that it's easier for me to think in German if i translate from finnish. quite challenging though, something i'll only do voluntarily in my active phase for now

day 26: get tired easily. LR in danish for the first time. Italian relaxing after that... but after Italian, answering a question about russian was difficult lmao

i'm in my reflective phase now and i still have quite little energy. i spent most of the New Year night reading for Tadoku - impossible to imagine this in any other phase. It's also been hugely challenging to just put up this whole post - maybe i shouldn't have cared about the date and should've just put it off. Took about three hours!!! Of course I was also doing other stuff, watching TV with my parents etc... but still, 3h. and typos, typos are like a hallmark of this phase.

The active phase is nearing, though - I don't really have the enhanced logical skills etc yet, but now that I think of it... that was actually quite a unique time, the New Year night. I haven't seen it in the materials I linked to, but it seems like for me, the switch between the phases is always very important. The best example would be the day when the active phase is ending and the expressive one (ovulation) is beginning. Last month I did a lot of uni stuff on that day, because that's the day when I still have the energy of the active phase... but I'm no longer a perfectionist. If it's ok for uni it will do. So anyway, at New Year I had enough energy to stay up reading all night - but I didn't have this epic desire to do something, do something, do something yet. Now I perhaps already have it. Yay, new phase then.

my current tadoku score is 50.

plans for today - a few songs in Spanish from lyricstraining.com and L-R to HP4 in Danish (accelerated audio)

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5884 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 6 of 264
02 January 2012 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
Oh wow, what an interesting set of languages. I'm curious how you do with Karelian. I assume you use Russian materials to study this?

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5154 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 264
02 January 2012 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
Happy New Year, Serpent! I'm so excited to be on one of your TAC Teams this year!

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4718 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 8 of 264
02 January 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Thought I'd give you the complete Team 德 list like you have for Team Žá :).

Magdalene: Mandarin, German, Spanish & maybe another language
-
WingSuet: Cantonese, Mandarin & Spanish
Log
Here

NickJS: Mandarin & either Russian, Norwegian & Cantonese (Just one, when chosen)
Log
Here

Luna Moonsilver: German, Mandarin & Swahili
Log
Here

JimmyJameskun: Mandarin & Indonesian
-
Serpent: German, Danish & Dutch
Log
Here

Hidden: German
Log
Here

Silverpolyglot: Mandarin & Swedish
Log
Here

B_Hutt: Dutch
Log
Here

jae: Mandarin & Portuguese
Log
Here

Elsinore13: German & Mandarin
Log
Here

Mepisevaerg: Spanish, German & Mandarin (Maybe French)
Log
Here

-* indicates no language log at this time.

Edited by NickJS on 02 January 2012 at 9:46pm

This discussion contains 264 messages over 33 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version