flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5021 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 6
31 December 2011 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Okay, this isn't the official TAC 2011 Awards thread, nor is it meant to detract from, nor compete with,
that worthy endeavour.

As mentioned in my post on http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
TID=30331&PN=1&TPN=5, I'd like to suggest entries for entirely unofficial, highly personal,
hopefully humorous, and likely facetious awards. No one will be counting votes, as each nominee may well be a
winner in its own category of one.

I'll start the ball rolling, with a copy of my post on the thread:

*"Most stalwart language-learning dedication in the face of hurricanes" Award: Meramarina.
*"Tongue so firmly in cheek one wonders how he speaks any languages at all" Award: Spanky

(Should I nominate myself for the "When does she sleep? - Posting at 2:00 a.m.!" Award?)

Updated to add: I still can't get internal Htlal links to post from my computer. - Sorry; please do a copy + paste
if you wish, removing any extra spaces inserted by the forum software.

And thanks, Meramarina, for sparking off the idea for this thread...!

Edited by songlines on 31 December 2011 at 6:51am

3 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5021 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
31 December 2011 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
Other possibilities. Self-nominations would certainly be acceptable for some of the categories below.

- “Best excuse for not studying” Award: Hurricane Irene (okay, not actually an Htlal member, but…)
- “Most creative procrastination techniques” Award. (No current nominees; feel free to nominate candidates/posts)
- “Most time spent reading forum posts rather than studying” Award. (Self-nominations only; a strong field
expected for this one..!)

Feel free to add other categories and nominees, as you wish...

Edited by songlines on 31 December 2011 at 8:02am

1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5768 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 3 of 6
31 December 2011 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:

*"Tongue so firmly in cheek one wonders how he speaks any languages at all" Award:
Spanky

Quite honestly, this is the only context in which I could possibly imagine my name and
"award" appearing in the same sentence, so I am very honoured to accept the nomination!

Edited by Spanky on 31 December 2011 at 8:49am

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5779 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 6
31 December 2011 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Most stalwart language-learning dedication in the face of hurricanes" Award: Meramarina

Oh yes, I tried, but it was only ONE hurricane!

But I wasn't unscathed by the experience, I guess, because the other night I had a sad dream that the house flooded and all my dictionaries drowned.

Quote:
And thanks, Meramarina, for sparking off the idea for this thread...!

I need a poor memory award here because I did not remember this! I thought it was your idea until I saw this sentence so my award is Most Likely to Write Something Today, Forget It Tomorrow . . . !

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 6
31 December 2011 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:

- “Most time spent reading forum posts rather than studying” Award. (Self-nominations only; a strong field
expected for this one..!)

I am absolutely going for this one - and I am sure there will be a lot of contestants here, but I have never felt so sure of winning any award in my life. Obviously noone can measure my lack of studying,but I am sure the statistics of the forum (many posts in combination with veeery long posts, should hand me this one on a silver plate.:-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5021 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 6
02 January 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
And...

- The “Oops, my bad,” Award, aka the “Well, they won’t be making that mistake a second time” Award:
Alephbey and all the other good sports on the “Most embarassing language blunder” thread.

- “Most tenuous connection to language-learning” Award, aka the “No; eating cannoli at the corner bakery does
not count as Italian practice” Award. – Anyone willing to ‘fess up to this one?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version