Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The dangers of immersion.

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
17 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6761 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 9 of 17
31 December 2011 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
Thor1987 wrote:
Everything about this wreaks of foriigner taking advantage of by
locals.

It's possible, but hard to say for sure based on the few details you have shared.

Even if it's shown that this was a result of some sort of scam that couldn't have
happened if he weren't a foreigner, then I'd still file it under "the dangers of
travelling solo". The dangerous part here was his location and perhaps the people he
chose to trust, not his method of language study. Language immersion can be done at
home or even in a classroom.

Regardless of the circumstances, I'm sorry to hear the news. I imagine it's been quite
a shock for you and everyone who knew him. This is a real danger when travelling abroad
that everyone should be aware of.

Here in Japan, the crime rate is very low, so I guess the greatest danger to most
foreigners (as long as they didn't become indebted to Yakuza in order to enter the
country) is culture shock. Also, it's advisable to have your passport with tourist visa
or your foreign resident ID card on you at all times, because you can be detained for
not having it on your person, and some officers will check. I have a friend in another
city who was checked three times in a week - once was while slipping outside his
apartment in his pajamas to visit the vending machine across the street.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 31 December 2011 at 7:22am

2 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6362 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 10 of 17
31 December 2011 at 7:35am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
1) i'm not a dude.

1) i wish you'd stop doing that
2) a dude can be female

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 17
31 December 2011 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Serpent wrote:
1) i'm not a dude.

1) i wish you'd stop doing that
2) a dude can be female
i wish you could somehow experience what it's like when everyone assumes you're a female.
(though really it's only upsetting to hear this from long-term members)

Edited by Serpent on 31 December 2011 at 7:42am

leosmith
United States
Joined 6362 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 12 of 17
31 December 2011 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
i wish you could somehow experience what it's like when everyone assumes you're a female.
(though really it's only upsetting to hear this from long-term members)

I assume you mean male.
But it's not anything personal, and nobody wants to hurt your feelings. If it was important to you, you could have
chosen a different handle. I doubt if I'm the only one who is too lazy to look at the profiles of every member that I
post about.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Thor1987
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4546 days ago

65 posts - 84 votes 
Studies: German

Message 13 of 17
31 December 2011 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
Thor1987 wrote:
Everything about this wreaks of foriigner taking
advantage of by
locals.

It's possible, but hard to say for sure based on the few details you have shared.

Even if it's shown that this was a result of some sort of scam that couldn't have
happened if he weren't a foreigner, then I'd still file it under "the dangers of
travelling solo". The dangerous part here was his location and perhaps the people he
chose to trust, not his method of language study. Language immersion can be done at
home or even in a classroom.

Regardless of the circumstances, I'm sorry to hear the news. I imagine it's been quite
a shock for you and everyone who knew him. This is a real danger when travelling abroad
that everyone should be aware of.

Here in Japan, the crime rate is very low, so I guess the greatest danger to most
foreigners (as long as they didn't become indebted to Yakuza in order to enter the
country) is culture shock. Also, it's advisable to have your passport with tourist visa
or your foreign resident ID card on you at all times, because you can be detained for
not having it on your person, and some officers will check. I have a friend in another
city who was checked three times in a week - once was while slipping outside his
apartment in his pajamas to visit the vending machine across the street.

Agreed.

P.S. dude/man/babe/guys has little to do with gender at least with young canucks.
1 person has voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 5003 days ago

245 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 14 of 17
31 December 2011 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
Thor1987 wrote:
Are you kidding, this would never happen where we're from

Huh? What about the famous "webcam slaying" that took place in Canada this year? The devastated parents had to travel from China to retrieve their daughter's body.

Thor1987
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4546 days ago

65 posts - 84 votes 
Studies: German

Message 15 of 17
31 December 2011 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
tibbles wrote:
Thor1987 wrote:
Are you kidding, this would never happen where we're
from

Huh? What about the famous "webcam slaying" that took place in Canada this year? The
devastated parents had to travel from China to retrieve their daughter's body.
First off I meant where were from, in canada, and B wouldn't happen to people
from here. Second 9 chances out of ten that was in vancouver.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 16 of 17
31 December 2011 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
Crime happens, of course, even in a highly developed low-crime place like Hong Kong, and when something like
this happens, it's tragic. Being a foreigner can sometimes aggravate the risks (I recall reading about Chinese tourists
being targeted in Sweden because they're often rich). These are, however, risks associated with travelling, not with
immersion. Immersion, learning the local language and culture probably decreases the risks, but then the long-term
stay and the tendencies to want to get out of the "touristy" areas will of course increase them.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version