Poland
Joined 5540 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 17 of 20
05 January 2012 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
I don't know if anyone follows Steve Kaufman's YouTube channel, but he always says that there are 3 things that make for great language learning: time spent studying, the ability to notice, and the third thing escapes me, but I think it's attitude. In a Toastmasters speech I heard last week, the speaker said he attributes 3 things to his success: enthusiasm, persistence, and confidence. There are probably many other keys to success out there, too.

I subscribe to his channel, I always enjoy what he has to say, although I don't always agree with everything. One of the keys to learning that he mentions is motivation, the subject of this thread incidentally.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I'm not a very talkative person so the fact that I don't have anyone to speak French with doesn't bother me at all. What motivates me is to be able to understand podcasts, articles, extracts from books that I read. I always have a lot of issues with self-discipline. I prefer taking small steps very often, something that Khatzumoto from AJATT wrote about. Ultimately everyone has to find something that drives him.
1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5678 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 18 of 20
05 January 2012 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
MarcusOdim wrote:
I've been trying to find ANYBODY to speak with, in 6 different
languages

Suggestion: Maybe if you were to list your native language and the 6 languages you are
studying, in your profile here, someone on HTLAL might want to talk to you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5541 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 19 of 20
06 January 2012 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
Yes, Steve Kaufman is certainly opinionated and isn't afraid to share his opinion. Even if you don't agree with him, it's obvious he's thought out his points in detail.

I always think that as long as your motivation to learn is greater than any frustration you feel while trying to learn, you'll succeed. If you have a weak motivation, you probably won't last long.

One thing I was thinking of is that we could look at language learning like a collection. Instead of collecting silver coins or postage stamps, we're collecting words, idioms, grammar constructions, and phrases. I'm not an avid collector, but the thrill of collection comes from its value and finding unexpected bargains. Obviously the longer you collect and the more time & money you spend, the greater value your collection has.
1 person has voted this message useful

TrentBooks
Triglot
Groupie
United States
TrentBooks.com
Joined 4666 days ago

43 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Guarani
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Japanese

Message 20 of 20
07 January 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
johndoe81 wrote:
Hi all,

I enjoy foreign languages and like to think I have a natural aptitude for them. There are many languages
that I would like to study on my own; however, the issue is motivation.

I feel that studying a language when I am not living in a country that actively speaks it and have no contact
with native speakers, is a little pointless.

Does anyone share this feeling? How do you deal with low motivation?

The 2 most valuable pieces of information I've acquired (through experience and research) about language
learning are:

1. Motivation determines how fast a language is learned more than any other component of language
learning. Even immersion is useless if you're not motivated to learn.

2. Motivation remains high when real growth occurs. Achieving growth is absolutely critical to maintaining
high levels of motivation in language learning. The factors that lead to growth are too varied and
complicated to include in a single post here, but if you focus on growth - even small, simple steps of growth
- you'll advance in your language learning much more quickly.

Achieving growth depends on the individual, obviously, but if you can figure that out for yourself language
learning is a piece of cake.

Edited by TrentBooks on 07 January 2012 at 6:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version