Diglot
United States
Joined 4797 days ago

24 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 13
27 December 2011 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
I think the same when it comes to Russian, French, and Greek.
1 person has voted this message useful

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5852 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 10 of 13
30 December 2011 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Turkish definitely. I like the language but I prefer listening to it when it's sung.

Chevalier
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4519 days ago

53 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 11 of 13
06 January 2012 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
I used to dislike French songs and enjoyed spoken French. I think you just have to get used to it. Maybe you haven't listened to a good Portuguese singer (I can't give you names, because I'm not a fan of Brazilian music). When I wanted to listen to some French I asked on Yahoo answers and I didn't like any of the singers. But then, I came across Stromae and Alizee on Youtube and I like them very much now.

I'm not a fan of spoken Italian and spoken Spanish, but sometimes I catch myself singing songs in those languages. I think it's easier to prefer songs instead of the spoken language. Songs are supposed to rhyme and to have a nice melody/beat, maybe that's the reason.

I have friends who didn't like the German language until they listened to Rammstein. Some of them even started studying it after that.

Ug_Caveman
United Kingdom
Joined 4594 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 12 of 13
07 January 2012 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Welsh, definatly. Cwm Rhondda is one of my favorite songs, sung in Welsh it is beautiful. For those who don't know, in English it's commonly known as "Bread of Heaven" but it's real name is "Rhondda's Valley".

Neutrino
Russian Federation
Joined 4531 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English, Dutch

Message 13 of 13
07 January 2012 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
I adore dutch songs. As for spoken dutch - a lot depends on an accent - some of them sound very nice though in other ones those "G" are a bit too strong.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version