Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4420 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English

Message 49 of 89
31 March 2012 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
I'm learning German, because I'm 1/8 Austrian and feel that this particular language has not only influenced my native language, but my culture as well. I want to learn Esperanto out of curiousity and because it is really easy. I really like the sound of Spanish and Portuguese. I want to learn Mandarin, because it's really challenging and it can improve even my non-linguistic skills. I find Finnish very beautiful and I like how complex yet logical the language is. I would do with just learning Northern Saami, but I want to save some of the others and publish books about them. Also want to compare one with another. As to resources, I want to meet the native speakers myself and get whatever resource there is.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6649 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 50 of 89
31 March 2012 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently learning Czech, as I'm living in Prague for the time being, but I look forward to when I will be able to focus on Finnish, as well. I also find it to be a very beautiful language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5705 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 51 of 89
17 April 2012 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
How did I miss this thread? I think this is a great topic.

1. Do you consider yourself a polyglot? No, not yet. I still use way too much English in my daily life.

2. Are you planning to become one? Yes, but I may not actually become a polyglot as I have other interests that I refuse to totally give up on.

3. If you are, what are you planning to achieve before you can call yourself a polyglot? I will be comfortable calling myself a polyglot when I reach B2 level or better in at least half of the languages I am learning.

Edited by mick33 on 18 April 2012 at 10:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4381 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 52 of 89
25 April 2012 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Yes... I consider myself a Polyglot... with one stipulation... Im still in training, but
my ambitions (as of yet) are to specifically reach at least B2 level, in five languages
(which includes English) and In Japanese and chinese, I probably wont be Satisfied with
B2...

I dont limit myself on which languages to or not to learn, even for languages I dont
particularly care for, I just know My list so far contains (in order) English, Japanese,
Mandarin, Spanish, Korean...

Elizabeth_rb
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
polyglotintraining.b
Joined 4417 days ago

54 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: GermanB1

Message 53 of 89
17 May 2012 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
1. Do you consider yourself a polyglot?
2. Are you planning to become one?
3. If you are, what are you planning to achieve before you can call yourself a
polyglot?

Yes, it's an interesting question and I agree with those who've said, in effect, that
they feel too outclassed by some of the really accomplished linguists on forum to
consider themselves polyglots. I also like the comments by two contributors, one
saying they preferred to call themselves a linguist and the other saying they'd rather
be a polymath. I think I find myself in both of those comments.

To meet the requirements of the 'basic fluency' level on this forum, I just about make
the grade with Mandarin and no others yet. Actually, definitions of fluency vary and
mine is generally 'not knowing everything in the language, but using what you do know
so well that no-one can tell the difference'. Also, I'm interested in gaining and
improving skills in a few areas including language, such as sciences, history, creative
arts and so on.

To answer the questions more directly:

1) No, I don't call myself a polyglot. One of my blogs, however is called "A Polyglot
(in training)" As someone whose taught Mandarin and so on, I would call myself a
linguist.

2) Yes, I think I can say I am planning to become a polyglot. I read somewhere that a
polyglot was a speaker of 3 or more languages and a super-polyglot spoke 6+. As has
been said, there seems to be no reliable definition and I don't think it counts in
either direction whether the languages spoken are closely related or not. To learn
Spanish after French may well be 'buy one get one half price', but it still takes a lot
of work and practice to learn. It may not be as impressive as languages from several
families, (to those who ever even think that way and, frankly, most Brits - who
consider themselves genetically unable to learn foreign languages - certainly
wouldn't), but it's still x number of languages.

I digress....sorry!

3) I've just re-taken up Spanish and I hope to get really moving forward with that,
including up to 3 years of classes if finances, time and strength allow. I also plan
to really buckle down with resurrecting my French and moving my German forward as well
as ploughing on with more Mandarin and even writing some materials for post-beginners.
I also want to get on with Dutch soon too and will come back to Italian when most of
the Spanish feels comfy and I'm ready to take on a related language without worrying
about confusion and 'fighting'. Plans are to get to C1+ with Mandarin and B2/B2+ with
all the others. If we ever have to move to Germany, then I'll be looking tor C1+ with
German too.

Excuse my blethering on. It's so nice to talk about multiple language learning plans
with people who are actually interested and don't think you're nuts!=)

2 persons have voted this message useful

NC181818
Tetraglot
Hong Kong
Joined 4130 days ago

17 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 54 of 89
29 January 2013 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
1. No
2. No
3. N/A

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4148 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 55 of 89
23 March 2013 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
I am not a polyglot. Besides my native tongue German, I speak French and English quite okay (both C1 level), but I'm far from perfect. And I don't always feel comfortable speaking them. Really depends on my mood. I need more practice and immersion. My other languages I don't speak well at all.

A polyglot for me is someone who speaks several languages fluently and comfortably. Being able to read is not enough, "Assimil with ease" level is not enough. A typical polyglot would be someone like Amanda Lear who speaks fluent French, English, Italian and enough German to host a TV show.

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5850 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 56 of 89
24 March 2013 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Sterogyl wrote:
.."Assimil with ease" level is not enough.

buy "assimil perfectionnement" then :P

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version