Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
89 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 11 12 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6252 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 41 of 89
09 February 2012 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I consider myself a polyglot.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5235 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 42 of 89
09 February 2012 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
1. Do you consider yourself a polyglot?

No. Maybe I qualify, but I don't care.

2. Are you planning to become one?

No.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4816 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 43 of 89
09 February 2012 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

3. If you are, what are you planning to achieve before you can call yourself a polyglot?

1. Yes by technicalities since the word just means "many tongues", not how well they're done. Some of them I speak like a baby, but it's still speaking/communicating. I don't necessarily brag about it since I know how modest my abilities actually are.

2. I never planned so much as it's my personality to like to do many things and be interested in them for their own merits. It's the same with music where I sing and play many different instruments. The degree of skill is different, but I still do many. It fits my nature.

3. I just want to learn and study throughout my life to enjoy what I can do and to progress in the ways I can that are enjoyable to me.

When I was younger and first online, I had the word polyglot as part of a telnet bbs profile of mine. I got hit on by a man who read that and had misunderstood it for polyamory. He said there was nothing wrong with that kind of lifestyle. I thought he was a horny idiot who clearly didn't understand the word I had actually used.

Now, though, I think being a polyglot IS a lifestyle choice. I'm choosing to fill my life with language via books or music or internet. It makes the way I live it different than those who would be happy only in one language. It's no burden, but it is a lifestyle choice of a sort.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5475 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 44 of 89
10 February 2012 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 

No, I don't.

Yes!

3. If you are, what are you planning to achieve before you can call yourself a polyglot?

By purely personal standards, I want to be able to speak three more languages (for a total of four foreign languages plus my native tongue) at a C1 level before I will feel comfortable calling myself a polyglot. Of course, by the time I get to that point, my standards may have gone up. We'll see.
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 45 of 89
10 February 2012 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 

Sure, why not? Who's going to stop me? The closest I've seen to a universal requirement is to be able to speak at least 3 languages. Do I think it's a great achievement to be borderline "fluent" in Yiddish when I already knew German? Or to have very much sub-fluent capability in a large handful of other languages? No, but who cares, it's fun.

Yes, according to some, but not all, of the stricter definitions.

3. If you are, what are you planning to achieve before you can call yourself a [more advanced] polyglot?

I'm maybe already advanced in German, and eventually I hope/plan to reach advanced (C1+) in at least one non-Germanic language for a total of 3 strong major languages, and/or basic (~B2) in 2 or more languages than where I already claim fluency. If I do that, then maybe I'll raise the bar again, but that'd be a great start.

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4773 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 46 of 89
29 March 2012 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
3. If you are, what are you planning to achieve before you can call yourself a [more
advanced] polyglot?

1. I do consider myself a polyglot, because I can have conversation at least on B2-
level in one language, and on C1- or C2-level in 4 languages. :-)

2. :-)

3. I will soon start learning another language. And I plan to brush up Portuguese and
Russian.

Good luck to everybody!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Midnight
Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4421 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English

Message 47 of 89
31 March 2012 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
I'm gonna learn these. German, Esperanto, Spanish (Carinbean or Mexican or Colombian) , Portuguese (Brazilian), Mandarin, Finnish, Southern, Lule, Northern, Inari, Skolt and Kildin Saami.

But at this point I don't consider myself a polyglot.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6650 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 48 of 89
31 March 2012 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Interesting choices, Midnight. Why those, and where will you find resources?

Edited by Journeyer on 31 March 2012 at 5:39pm

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version