Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 17 of 80
03 June 2012 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
Välkommen!
I'm glad you have decided to learn a Scandinavian language. I love Swedish and Sweden, so this is an excellent choice!
Swedish pronunciation is not as tricky as it seems, Polish pronunciation is much trickier! :) The only real problem is the sje-sound [ɧ]. Okay, pitch accent takes some time to get acquainted to, but I didn't find it too difficult. And as you have already studied some Mandarin, you should be used to tonal languages.
Swedish is an excellent start into the Germanic languages (after English, of course). It shares many loanwords with German, but has an easier grammar.
I also used Svenska utifrån when I took Swedish at university. It's a good book, although it is exclusively in Swedish.
Lycka till med dina studier!
1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4664 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 18 of 80
03 June 2012 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
I'm glad you have decided to learn a Scandinavian language. I love Swedish and Sweden, so this is an excellent choice!

Well, Europe has chosen ;) But it was one of these "must be learned during my life" languages. So, better sooner than later.
Josquin wrote:
Swedish pronunciation is not as tricky as it seems, Polish pronunciation is much trickier! :)

Good to read it - chrząszcze w Szczebrzeszynie się ucieszą ;)
Josquin wrote:
The only real problem is the sje-sound [ɧ].

What's the problem with this sound? Maybe you haven't been listening to Nanne Gronvall too often: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX1nKSh2QGk
Josquin wrote:
Okay, pitch accent takes some time to get acquainted to, but I didn't find it too difficult. And as you have already studied some Mandarin, you should be used to tonal languages.

'Some' is an accurate word. But, to be honest, a thing that came to my mind yesterday (or today? dunno) was that in this case Chinese seems to be easier :-o (at least Swedish doesn't have thousands of characters)
Josquin wrote:
Lycka till med dina studier!

Tack!

P.S. Today in the supermarket I've met two Swedish girls (two beautiful Swedish girls, I'll add) and I've felt so awful that I couldn't say anything meaningful in Swedish :( Let's hope this will change soon. Pity that I don't know any Swede who comes to Euro 2012. Or maybe I'll write on Couchsurfing's group and see.

P.S. 2 Don't worry my dear forumers, in this Swedish Euphoria I don't forget about the rest of my languages. The closest exams are, in the time order: Chinese, Persian, Slovene.

Edited by prz_ on 03 June 2012 at 3:24pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4814 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 19 of 80
03 June 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Ahoj, využívám tvou nabídku psát sem česky (i když to dá sakra práci snažit se psát
spisovně. Dám si pozor na gramatiku, abych tě nepletla, ale svého osobitého stylu a
slovníku se nevzdám :-) ) . Nedávno jsem si nainstalovala Skype a ráda si budu povídat,
jen co trochu opadne zkouškové šílenství. Už déle se chystám na polštinu, ale zatím jsem
se k ní moc nedostala. Snad po zkouškách (až na to že tak trochu "Non credo in vitam post
examinis":-( ). Jak daleko jsi s češtinou? Jestli rozumíš radiožurnálu, tak to není
špatné. Sice tam používají téměř čistě spisovný jazyk (jsou veřejnoprávní, takže asi
musí), ale jejich témata jsou celkem různorodá. Každopádně jejich hudební vkus prosím
nepovažuj za reprezentativní vzorek vkusu národa, to by pro nás byla mezinárodní ostuda
:-D

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 20 of 80
03 June 2012 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
chrząszcze w Szczebrzeszynie się ucieszą ;)

I totally agree on that - whatever it means! ;)

prz_ wrote:
Josquin wrote:
The only real problem is the sje-sound [ɧ].

What's the problem with this sound? Maybe you haven't been listening to Nanne Gronvall too often: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX1nKSh2QGk

Well, I haven't listened to this lady indeed - not my type of music. Anyway, I actually didn't mean to say that I had a particular problem with that sound, it was more like "If there's a problem with a sound in Swedish, then it's probably this one".

prz_ wrote:
But, to be honest, a thing that came to my mind yesterday (or today? dunno) was that in this case Chinese seems to be easier :-o

Oooooookaaaaaayyyyy... I'm not quite sure what to respond to this... It's something between "Are you really serious?" and "Are you completely out of your mind?". :-P

prz_ wrote:
P.S. Today in the supermarket I've met two Swedish girls (two beautiful Swedish girls, I'll add) and I've felt so awful that I couldn't say anything meaningful in Swedish

Just say: "Du har vackra ögon." That should do the trick! :-D

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4664 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 21 of 80
03 June 2012 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Ahoj, využívám tvou nabídku psát sem česky

Pokračuj :)
Cavesa wrote:
jen co trochu opadne zkouškové šílenství

Zdá se, že je to mezinárodní věc.Dnes dokonce v BBC mluvili to samé :P
Byl bych rád pomoct tobě s polským.
Cavesa wrote:
Jak daleko jsi s češtinou? Jestli rozumíš radiožurnálu, tak to není
špatné. Sice tam používají téměř čistě spisovný jazyk (jsou veřejnoprávní, takže asi
musí), ale jejich témata jsou celkem různorodá.

S chápání je lepší ("moc moc lepší" ;) ) než při mluvení. Ale to není že rozumím všechno, více z kontextu.
To by bylo skvělé pohovořit, znaj jen, že během prvního týdne můj mluvený česky bude tragický - Nemluvil jsem (a nemluvím) mnoho v češtině :(

Josquin wrote:
I totally agree on that - whatever it means! ;)

'The beetles in Szczebrzeszyn will be delighted'
Josquin wrote:
Oooooookaaaaaayyyyy... I'm not quite sure what to respond to this... It's something between "Are you really serious?" and "Are you completely out of your mind?". :-P

Oooooookaaaaaayyyyy... Remember, I learn Chinese for several months and Swedish... for three days?
Josquin wrote:

Definitely better than 'Du har vackra rumpa'.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4814 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 22 of 80
04 June 2012 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
Ahoj, využívám tvou nabídku psát sem česky

Pokračuj :)
Cavesa wrote:
jen co trochu opadne zkouškové šílenství

Zdá se, že je to mezinárodní věc.Dnes dokonce v BBC mluvili to samé :P
Byl bych rád pomoct tobě s polským.

small corrections (drobné opravy):
na BBC dnes mluvili o tom samém. Rád ti pomohu s polštinou/s polským jazykem (s polským
jazykem zní formálněji, polština je běžnější)

[/uote]
Cavesa wrote:
Jak daleko jsi s češtinou? Jestli rozumíš radiožurnálu, tak to
není špatné. Sice tam používají téměř čistě spisovný jazyk (jsou veřejnoprávní, takže
asi musí), ale jejich témata jsou celkem různorodá.

S chápání je lepší ("moc moc lepší" ;) ) než při mluvení. Ale to není že rozumím
všechno, více z kontextu.
To by bylo skvělé pohovořit, znaj jen, že během prvního týdne můj mluvený česky bude
tragický - Nemluvil jsem (a nemluvím) mnoho v češtině :(
[/QUOTE]

"Rozumím lépe než mluvím" zní přirozeněji, ale "s porozuměním je to lepší než s
mluvením"by taky ško. Ale to neznamená, že rozumím vše, hodně (nebo by šlo dost)
rozumím z kontextu.

znaj jen? řekla bych, že tohle je polsky, hádám že to je "ale věz" nebo "ale měl bych
tě varovat" :-D, že během prvního týdne bude má mluvená čeština tragická. Moc/mnoho
jsem toho česky nenamluvil.

Píšeš dobře, ale občas je to angličtina převlečená za češtinu. Čteš česky? Myslím, že
přečtení aspoň pár knížek by tě mohlo v tomto ohledu hodně posunout :-)

Co rád čteš? Třeba bych měla nějaké doporučení :-)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 23 of 80
04 June 2012 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Josquin wrote:

Definitely better than 'Du har vackra rumpa'.

Indeed, but I wouldn't be a true language nerd if I didn't tell you that it had to be "Du har en vacker rumpa".
Anyway, good luck with the Swedes and their fascinating tongue.

Edited by Josquin on 04 June 2012 at 12:34am

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4664 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 24 of 80
04 June 2012 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Language nerds here are always appreciated.
By the way, how do you estimate your level of Swedish? B2? C1? C2? And how many years do you learn it?

Edited by prz_ on 04 June 2012 at 12:54am

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version