Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
104 messages over 13 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 12 13 Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4912 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 49 of 104
23 April 2012 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Midnight wrote:
Hello everybody.

My friend got this site personally from Mr. Fazah.

www.ziadfazah.com.br

I think it's worth checking out. I find the English translation too influenced by his Portuguese though.

No kidding. "The biggest multilingual"?

Anyway, I was hoping I'd actually find out something under his "Methodology" link. No such luck. It looks like the site is fairly new though, so maybe he'll add more as time goes on.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6650 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 50 of 104
23 April 2012 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
It looks like the site is fairly new though, so maybe he'll add more as time goes on.
==

This has been my impression as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Zorrillo
Pentaglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6166 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Sign Language, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Greek, Georgian, Indonesian

Message 51 of 104
24 April 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged 

"Contact me, I will be happy to outroot your doubts"

Seriously, Mr. Fazah? You're going to outroot my doubts? Well, you've got a lot of outrooting to do.

That website is an absolute train wreck. His English is just horrible- abysmal. I would expect more from the "biggest multilingual".

I would have no problem with this guy if he weren't so incredibly, astoundingly arrogant. Suffice it to say, if I wanted private lessons, I'd hire Luca, Richard, or Arguelles.   
3 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6701 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 52 of 104
24 April 2012 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
Too bad he used Google Translate to translate the site (biography, etc.) from Portuguese into English.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Midnight
Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4421 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English

Message 53 of 104
24 April 2012 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
Indeed. Sheesh now I'm beginning to sound like him. I thought English had been one of the languages he could get by. Maybe he was too lazy to translate. On the other hand he could've used the GT output in his other languages as well. What I'm more curious about is how is he going to teach Czech for example. When I exchanged a few e-mails with him, he told me he hadn't spoken it for years and so I wonder how can he take new students which might find interest in it. Well my Russian and Polish are very basic, but his videos are not really well put. He said something like: Я изучал порусский язык. Since when is the language called Porussian. His Vietnamese, Mandarin, Hindi and Hebrew are very accented and therefore I'm not sure if comprehensible at all. I'll stop bashing this person and others (I heard You-know-who is learning languages from Wikipedia, I almost die laughing) , because I'll have to focus on my own language journey, but I just wanted to share my 2 cents.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4912 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 54 of 104
24 April 2012 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
Midnight wrote:
Maybe he was too lazy to translate. On the other hand he could've used the GT output in his other languages as well.

I'm willing to bet he didn't have anything to do with the translation of his website. As translator2 notes, it looks like it was just run through GT. My guess is the website creators (listed as www.tenas.com.br at the bottom of the page) were given the basic text and told to create it in English too.

For what it's worth, I regularly receive "pre-translated" text - i.e. run through GT - to translate, and this is exactly what it looks like. It's certainly not something that's ready for final publication.

R.
==

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 55 of 104
24 April 2012 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
I also got this from Ziadh Fazah, and I was feeling guilty for forgetting to put it here, but when I see the
reactions I am almost glad I didn't. We are all entitled to our opinions, but I would appreciate it if you could
treat him with as much kindness as you can muster. He is a sweet man, and he does speak several
languages even if he may not be at a high level in all of them. Imagine he was in the room when you talked
about him, just as we should do whenever we are on Internet. We are dealing with real people with real
feelings. Let us never forget that :-)
7 persons have voted this message useful

Midnight
Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4421 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English

Message 56 of 104
24 April 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Nicely said Solfrid, but as you may have noticed he's set up this site of his in intention to teach each of his "languages". I wouldn't learn anything apart from Arabic, Portuguese or Spanish from him. No offense meant of course. Another example could be CM. It's harmless for him to say he knows all the languages he claims to, but if he started to give lessons for money, then I'd discourage the people as much I could do. No wonder he hasn't shown up on the Canadian TV (all they required were 6+ languages). Last time I called him on Skype I asked for some Albanian basics and he told me he was fluent while giving me all the phrases from omniglot where he took his Kazakh proverb thing from (since GT doesn't support it). Not to mention he used the "word" HOPAS instead of ESPERAS when talking to me in Esperanto and that was the last straw. I'm just saying we CAN discuss it while being nice and polite. I like Ziad Fazah as person, but before I saw him speaking on Viva el lunes I thought it was possible to speak so many languages ( I still think it is on let's say A2 level at most) and I was disappointed more than anything else.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version