Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 33 of 104
04 January 2012 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
I had another conversation with Ziadh Fazah this evening. He told me about how as a young boy he had dreamt of working for the UN, and how he set out to learn the most difficult languages first, and took up Mandarin. He said that you need to be creative and disciplined, and that is how he learned the 59 languages in three years when he was a young boy in Lebanon. He expressed gratitude that God had bestowed him with such a gift.

I asked him what his definition of speaking a language was, since that was one of the questions that came up in this thread. He answered that first you must know the entire grammar from A to Z, and then you need about 3000 words. If you then need to speak about any particular topic, you would need to learn that specific vocabulary. As a minimum 1500-2000 words were needed to make basic conversation. He added that on a daily basis, the only languages he spoke were Portuguese and Arabic, and that he would need to prepare before using the others. In our last conversation we also spoke in French, Spanish, Italian and German without any preparation, but I assume he meant his lesser used languages.

I also asked him how long he would need in order to revise a language so he could speak it without effort, and he answered 2-3 weeks for a difficult language like Mandarin for example. He is planning to set up a website from which he can teach languages.

He also wandered what his image was on this forum, and I told him that it was a bit mixed, since some were fairly critical, but others were more positive. He then asked me to send his greetings to you all.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6655 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 34 of 104
04 January 2012 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the update. That sounds pretty similar to the talks I've had with him as well.

I assume you have your conversations in English mostly? Do you use Norwegian ever or do you ever skip around languages?
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 35 of 104
04 January 2012 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
This evening we spoke in English only. Last time we spoke the languages I was able to speak in: English, German, French, Spanish and Italian - and he spoke a little Norwegian and Russian to me. The first five went very well. We were both a tad rusty in German and Italian, but we had a flowing conversation - with a lot of laughter mixed into it. He is fluent in English, Spanish and French, though with a minor accent in English and Spanish. I did not hear any accent in his French.

He did not speak more Norwegian because he has not used it in a very long time, but he said that he wanted to read up, so that we could speak Norwegian together in a later conversation. He did not speak more Russian, because I could not keep up. My Russian is very basic.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 04 January 2012 at 9:20pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4778 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 104
22 March 2012 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Hey there...

Thanks for posting. I found it interesting to see that Mr. Fazah speaks more or less
the same languages as we both do.

Concerning some posts in this thread: Sincerely, I don't know why people always
question the fact of using the expression "to speak a language". We all know Torbyrne.
The difference between Ziad and Torbyrne: Torbyrne does not claim to "speak" X
languages. He often says in his videos that he has "studied many languages".

So let's just agree with Mr. Fazah, that he may have studied 59 languages, and that he
is fluent in some of them.

- Mae
2 persons have voted this message useful

Midnight
Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4426 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English

Message 37 of 104
23 March 2012 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Hello, I know this might not be the right place. But where did my thread about the hyperpolyglot Cesare M go? Just asking.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 38 of 104
23 March 2012 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
Could you please not discuss that in this thread? Otherwise it will be derailed.

Midnight
Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4426 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English

Message 39 of 104
23 March 2012 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
I would not if my thread wouldn't mysteriously dissapear, but I won't make any more posts then. Someone could've at least message me.

On topic : I personally exchanged some e-mails with Ziad and he clearly speaks many languages. Some of them fluently and some only conversational, but the number isn't that big if you spend only 3 months on each language. MAybe not hyperpolyglot, but an accomplished polyglot for sure.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6655 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 40 of 104
24 March 2012 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Midnight wrote:
I would not if my thread wouldn't mysteriously dissapear, but I won't make any more posts then. Someone could've at least message me.

Forum courtesy would ask that you simply start a thread to address this question rather than ask it in an unrelated thread.

Please keep this thread related to the topic at hand.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version