leosmith
United States
Joined 6310 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 9 of 19
26 October 2011 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Nice post. What did your anki decks look like? I got the impression from your post that this study period was all
listening/shadowing. That would mean audio cards only though, which for some reason doesn't ring true. Did your
knowledge of Japanese allow you to make normal text cards without the extra effort of learning characters? Did you
learn pinyin somewhere along the way? Just curious.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6342 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 10 of 19
27 October 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Nice post. What did your anki decks look like? I got the impression from your post that this
study period was all listening/shadowing. That would mean audio cards only though, which for some reason
doesn't ring true. Did your knowledge of Japanese allow you to make normal text cards without the extra effort of
learning characters? Did you learn pinyin somewhere along the way? Just curious.

My Anki deck started out as recognition and production, and when I tested recognition I'd write the character on
a piece of paper if I had one handy, or with my finger in the air otherwise. After a while, as the deck grew, I
started doing sound only in production (still using characters for recognition) to speed up practice. In the end,
the last couple of months before I went to China, I wanted to really up my character recognition count to get to
reading native materials, so I ditched the production altogether.

My knowledge of Japanese is limited to "Cowabunga" and "Domo arigato, Mister Roboto", and as I don't know the
characters for that, this was of little use.

I did Pinyin from the very start.
2 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6310 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 11 of 19
28 October 2011 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
My knowledge of Japanese is limited to "Cowabunga" and "Domo arigato, Mister Roboto", and as I don't
know the characters for that, this was of little use.

Sorry for my senility. Should have read your profile before posting.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 12 of 19
19 October 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Ari, could you provide some insight as to what your specific regimen helped you achieve that you couldn't have achieved without a method, or at least not as fast or not as efficiently?

I ask this because although I eventually did use podcasts in a mostly regular way, I didn't start out with any given method and the strategy that arose over time was simply a reflection of how it fit into my life, and what I felt was a comfortable learning regimen.

Although I'm not in any way diminishing the value of the method you present, I wonder if we should be telling people how to use podcasts (or any other method) or if we shouldn't be telling them to simply use them and develop a way that works and feels best for them.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6342 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 

Message 13 of 19
20 October 2012 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Ari, could you provide some insight as to what your specific regimen helped you achieve that you couldn't have achieved without a method, or at least not as fast or not as efficiently?

Without a method? Any learning you do becomes a method if you do it the same way for a long time, no? Like I said in the original post, I started out just listening passively and got some slow progress. Then I started doing things more "in-depth" and progressed faster. I'm not sure how studying without a method would look like.

Quote:
I ask this because although I eventually did use podcasts in a mostly regular way, I didn't start out with any given method and the strategy that arose over time was simply a reflection of how it fit into my life, and what I felt was a comfortable learning regimen.

Yeah, that seems to mirror what I wrote in my OP above.

Quote:
Although I'm not in any way diminishing the value of the method you present, I wonder if we should be telling people how to use podcasts (or any other method) or if we shouldn't be telling them to simply use them and develop a way that works and feels best for them.

No, I don't think we should be telling people how to use them, and I don't think that's what I was doing in this post. I was asked in a PM about how I had used ChinesePod to learn, and rather than replying in a PM I wrote it into a post because I though more people might be interested which, going by the responses of this thread, turned out to be the case. A lot of people just do what you and I started doing and just listen, not sure how they could get more out of the material provided. What I present is what I did, and other people can see one way of getting it done. My method above developed out of my routines, just as yours did, but I think it's dangerous to think that people will automatically find a method perfect for them. What I want to do is to give ideas and suggestions, not to construct a compulsory schedule. If I gave the impression that people should follow my schedule to the letter, I apologize. People should find their own routines, but there's nothing wrong with sharing ideas. In fact, that's what places like this are for!
3 persons have voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4461 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 14 of 19
21 October 2012 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
I use JapanesePOD, and completely without a method. I just pick a level and listen through it. Sometimes 5 lessons a day, sometimes nothing for weeks.
Yes, doing it systematically would be better.

I think I'll start to use some sort of system - but the huge amount of lessons (over 700?) are just a bit much. One level alone takes forever to complete if you do it 1 lesson/day.

I'm at a level where I can understand Japanese TV without huge problems, and yet the various levels (from Intermediate up) DO add something, as in filling gaps and some new vocab items. However, not so many things taught there are really new for me. I do find the lessons useful, but it's so hard to identify what's useful and to construct meaningful and effective schedules with that material.

Maybe if JPOD was all I had, and if I had no prior knowledge, it would be worth much more.

The idea to build an ANKI deck and to build playlists, however, is nice, and I'll see if I can somehow incorporate it.

PS:
This is a problem with everything I do for my Japanese studies except for "pleasure watching" of shows:
I end up being bored pretty fast.
I tried to read through grammar books to weed out mistakes I may make on a daily basis and to finally solve some minor riddles that popped up here and there but were never important enough for me to really investigate and thoroughly learn.
I did learn some new stuff, but the amount of known things is just so huge, it takes more time to read through all the stuff to FIND the actual new things, that I almost fall asleep before I do dig them out.
Now, JapanesePOD with their just insane number of lessons and the pretty chaotic PDFs, the chatter inbetween all the explanations (I do enjoy that, as the Upper Intermediate chatter is in Japanese, too, and great listening comprehension practice - plus I like the staff), is like an ocean. Try to find some drops and you'll be discouraged from doing so before you even start.

Yeah.. that's it.

Edited by atama warui on 21 October 2012 at 10:16pm

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6342 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 

Message 15 of 19
22 October 2012 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
I think I'll start to use some sort of system - but the huge amount of lessons (over 700?) are just a bit much. One level alone takes forever to complete if you do it 1 lesson/day.

Dunno about JapanesePOD, but with ChinesePod you're not meant to "complete" any level. you're just supposed to find and work with studies you find interesting on a certain level, and when that level becomes too easy, you skip to the next one. CPod has over 2000 lessons, so going through them all would take years.

Edited by Ari on 30 October 2012 at 6:40am

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4461 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 16 of 19
23 October 2012 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
That's the point. Finding what you need to learn..

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version