Tokelau
Joined 4531 days ago

7 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English, Portuguese*
Studies: Italian

Message 9 of 10
07 December 2011 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
I love all the stories in here! Ehe.

I think my awkwardest linguistic moment was actually with two languages I know well - Portuguese and English. I was travelling with a friend and we mostly spoke English to each other. At some point, we met a group of travellers who were clearly from abroad as well, and I started listening to their language because I'm creepy/geeky like that. It turned out it was my native language, so of course I had to but in and say hello. My friend was a bit confused but amused. We were all standing there and waiting together, so I got to talk to them a bit. At some point, my friend asked me something and I replied, and then I turned to the other travellers to explain why had suddenly switched to English. Turns out I hadn't switched to English when talking to my friends, just to these strangers who were very confused. What's more, when I realized this and tried to explain, my brain went into linguistic overload and I seemed unable to match the right language to the right people, so I was basically switching the languages around and being unable to stop. My friend was amused, but those girls seemed to think I was strange.

Edited by 5years on 07 December 2011 at 6:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mizunooto
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4492 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Mandarin, Japanese, Polish, Kazakh, Malay

Message 10 of 10
20 May 2012 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
I knew I was going to meet my friend's mother (Koreans) so I wanted to learn how to say "pleased to meet you". Unfortunately it appears that she misunderstood my request for help with this expression because the phrase I practised so well turned out to be basically "pleased to eat you"!! (i.e. "bon appetit", something like 잘 먹겠습니다 )

Edited by mizunooto on 20 May 2012 at 12:15am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version