Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 17 of 40
22 October 2011 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
jean-luc wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
The structure of Esperanto was built up around the structuralist grammar theories of the day. As language theory moves further and further from the strict structuralist approach, Esperanto is less and less of a model of language learning.

The easiness of learning esperanto does not depend of the linguistic theory of the day. It's a fact which may be checked and answered true or not.

And if you want to know about how easy it could be for yourself, you don't even have to wait for statistic studies but just to spend one hour on the language. You'll definitively be fixed on this point (and on the interest to learn the language).

Cainntear wrote:

There is a danger that learning Esperanto will reinforce structuralist thinking in the learner.

What does that mean ? Which danger are you talking about ?

Ignore him. He's claiming an eye-doctor who spoke a few languages was unduly influenced by a theory published 30 years after Esperanto, and that this 'influence' poses a danger to anyone who actually knows anything about Esperanto, rather than making up things about it out of thin air.

Edited by Volte on 22 October 2011 at 7:30pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4646 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 40
23 October 2011 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
I tried learning Esperanto many decades ago, but I found it frustrating. As an engineer I kept finding all kinds of things that were "wrong" with it, and I couldn't resist the urge to "fix" it, and correct all those things that made it too difficult, and in some cases, just plain "goofy".

What this world really needs (besides a good five-cent cigar) is for some engineers and mathematicians (leave the linguists out of it) to do an in depth study of what language learners find difficult in each language, and work out a systematic way to remove all the hard stuff and create a language that truly is easy for everyone to learn no matter what their first language.

Then, instead of trying to get everyone to use it, just make it the official international language of online video games and let the geeks and gamers lead the way. After all, a lot of them got excited about learning Klingon. Surely they could get excited about learning a super-easy language only used in the virtual worlds of online video games.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4837 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 19 of 40
23 October 2011 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
I tried learning Esperanto many decades ago, but I found it
frustrating. As an engineer I kept finding all kinds of things that were "wrong" with
it, and I couldn't resist the urge to "fix" it, and correct all those things that made
it too difficult, and in some cases, just plain "goofy".

What this world really needs (besides a good five-cent cigar) is for some engineers
and mathematicians
(leave the linguists out of it) to do an in depth study of what
language learners find difficult in each language, and work out a systematic way to
remove all the hard stuff and create a language that truly is easy for everyone to
learn no matter what their first language.

Then, instead of trying to get everyone to use it, just make it the official
international language of online video games and let the geeks and gamers lead the way.
After all, a lot of them got excited about learning Klingon. Surely they could get
excited about learning a super-easy language only used in the virtual worlds of online
video games.

What were those drawbacks of Esperanto?

jean-luc
France
Joined 4741 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 20 of 40
23 October 2011 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
I seriously doubt that engineers and mathematicians are better placed than anyone to define a languages... And it's as doubtful to be able to create a language which would please to everybody.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5450 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 21 of 40
23 October 2011 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

This is a pretty good summary.
5 persons have voted this message useful

jean-luc
France
Joined 4741 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 

Message 22 of 40
23 October 2011 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
I just had a look to your link. For what I have seen, it's mainly dishonest comments from someone who dislike esperanto.

Edited by jean-luc on 23 October 2011 at 12:47pm

jean-luc
France
Joined 4741 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 

Message 23 of 40
23 October 2011 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

- People may laugh at you
- You cannot use it for strengthening your curriculum vitae
- Some proponents are somewhat embarrassing
- It's not as easy to find books and music as for English or majors languages
- There is no movie industry
- Not so easy to find people for speaking

For a pure linguistic point of view, it's more a question of personal taste than real and objectives drawbacks. Some people seems traumatized by the difference between the male and female genders, I really don't care. I'm more concerned by the accusative, and while I understand why it exists and accept it, some peoples hate it and some like it...

Some people find the vocabulary not international enough. It's a point which could be discussed but I'm not sure it could have been much better.

For me, the root of the language seems to be its regularity and simplicity (ensuring its easiness) and its combinatory system of roots (which give him its richness as a full language). On both point Esperanto seems mainly self-coherent.

The only real drawback I see is, in absence of a bulk of native speaker, the fact there is no definitive reference for the vocabulary. I know it exist the PIV dictionary but I've read several critics saying there is too many Gallicisms. This is illustrated with the opposition of the proponents of the "bona lingvo" and the ones of the "mava lingvo".

Edited by jean-luc on 23 October 2011 at 12:47pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4837 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 24 of 40
23 October 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
"Esperantists never attempt to explain what cases or plurals are for. The former is
extremely tricky;"
Why is it tricky? If the word order is free, how can one distinguish between a subject
and an object? To add one more preposition? But it won't be better. Endings are not worse
than prepositions or particles if they are regular.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version