Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 40
21 October 2011 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
I'm lost. This thread was the last bit. My curiosity won the fight so I looked at lernu. Despite my former decision not to learn any artificial language, I think I will make some time for Esperanto next year.

The basic grammar I read introduction to looks really easier than any grammar I have ever seen but I suppose active skills will take alot of time just like in any language.

I really like the resources. Lernu looks like a great place to begin at and there seem to be a lot more at the internet. The community interested in spreading the language seems to be working really hard towards the goal and it is great. It is actually quite common that less popular languages have such excited (and exciting) communities. This is one of the important things making Esperanto easier.

It's just a bit sad how improbable it is to ever see Esperanto as a widely used language in international communication, even though it would be quite convenient for the EU for exemple. In current situation it sounds like a joke: "A british, french and czech prime ministers meet and they discuss economy issues in Esperanto".
3 persons have voted this message useful

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5116 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 10 of 40
21 October 2011 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
alang wrote:

Does anyone have the link for Kontakto's 1000 most common words and word roots?

http://en.lernu.net/biblioteko/gazetoj/juna_amiko/vortlisto. php

Maybe is not the same ... just try it.

Enrique

1 person has voted this message useful

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5116 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 11 of 40
21 October 2011 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Despite my former decision not to learn any artificial language, I think I will make some time for Esperanto next year.

Maybe after 124 years of use and evolution, now isn't that artificial.

It will take less than 20 hours to go through a basic course. Maybe you don't need to wait that long.

Cavesa wrote:
I suppose active skills will take alot of time just like in any language.

There are differences among languages. After many years of studying I started to understand written English. After some more time I was capable of understanding most of what I read. Then I needed six more years to learn to listen English. Written and spoken English are 2 languages ... also French,Chinese, Japanese ... Esperanto is just one language. You can learn from a book and be capable of understanding the spoken language ... I did that, 52 years ago.

Getting fluency in Esperanto requires time and practice ... but much less than for any other language.

Enrique

3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 40
21 October 2011 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
I'm lost. This thread was the last bit. My curiosity won the fight so I looked at lernu. Despite my former decision not to learn any artificial language, I think I will make some time for Esperanto next year.

The basic grammar I read introduction to looks really easier than any grammar I have ever seen but I suppose active skills will take alot of time just like in any language.

I really like the resources. Lernu looks like a great place to begin at and there seem to be a lot more at the internet. The community interested in spreading the language seems to be working really hard towards the goal and it is great. It is actually quite common that less popular languages have such excited (and exciting) communities. This is one of the important things making Esperanto easier.

Have fun. And yes, Lernu is great. Active skills may take less time than you think; they did for me.

Cavesa wrote:

It's just a bit sad how improbable it is to ever see Esperanto as a widely used language in international communication, even though it would be quite convenient for the EU for exemple. In current situation it sounds like a joke: "A british, french and czech prime ministers meet and they discuss economy issues in Esperanto".

There are a couple of EU politicians who speak it, and some Esperanto projects get EU funding. It's also used in international communication quite a lot every day - just not usually in official contexts between politicians. And it pops up in some unexpected places; the German Pirate Party has their program translated into Esperanto, for example.

5 persons have voted this message useful

jean-luc
France
Joined 4741 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 13 of 40
21 October 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:

There are a couple of EU politicians who speak it,

Really ? Who ?

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 14 of 40
21 October 2011 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
Enriquee wrote:
Even if some people can learn some languages very easy, most of us cannot ... But Esperanto is different, much easier. Most people can learn Esperanto much faster than other languages. This is one of the reasons for Esperanto to be a good stepping stone to learning other languages.

The structure of Esperanto was built up around the structuralist grammar theories of the day. As language theory moves further and further from the strict structuralist approach, Esperanto is less and less of a model of language learning. There is a danger that learning Esperanto will reinforce structuralist thinking in the learner.
Cavesa wrote:

I'd only really be interested in an artificial language if it was written as an experiment on current language theory -- checking things like the frequency of occurence of irregular verbs; the importance of synkinaesthesia in memorability of unfamiliar words etc.

jean-luc
France
Joined 4741 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 15 of 40
21 October 2011 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
The structure of Esperanto was built up around the structuralist grammar theories of the day. As language theory moves further and further from the strict structuralist approach, Esperanto is less and less of a model of language learning.

The easiness of learning esperanto does not depend of the linguistic theory of the day. It's a fact which may be checked and answered true or not.

And if you want to know about how easy it could be for yourself, you don't even have to wait for statistic studies but just to spend one hour on the language. You'll definitively be fixed on this point (and on the interest to learn the language).

Cainntear wrote:

There is a danger that learning Esperanto will reinforce structuralist thinking in the learner.

What does that mean ? Which danger are you talking about ?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 16 of 40
22 October 2011 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
jean-luc wrote:
Volte wrote:

There are a couple of EU politicians who speak it,

Really ? Who ?

Wikipedia's article on the European Esperanto union mentions "two members of the European Parliament, Ms. MaƂgorzata Handzlik of Poland and Ms. Ljudmila Novak of Slovenia", although their wikipedia pages say that Ms. Novak has given up on speaking it and sticks to passively understanding it these days.

At lower levels of government than the European Parliament, there are others.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version