Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5651 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 1 of 69
14 October 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
I have just completed the test recommended by Professor Arguelles in his "Extensive
Reading and Vocabulary Range", in order to find out my English vocabulary size. I only
know 9200 word families and I am very disappointed and angry with the result. The main
reason for my disappointment and anger is that despite learning English for 20+ years
since kindergarten as the first language (i.e. as though you are a native speaker), I
have far fewer knowledge of word families than a native speaker (20,000 word families).
The requirement of learning English as a L1 is compulsory in Singapore and everyone
here should, by definition, have a L1 standard of English. All the other subjects are
taught in English, with the exception of Mother tongue (Chinese in my case). I learn
Chinese as a 2nd language in school, despite the fact that it is my better language.

As my parents can only speak Mandarin and growing up without any English, learning
English as L1 caused me a lot of problems. I am much slower in learning new English
vocabulary and I cannot assimilate the grammar. I can only overcome English only some
years ago in the university, where the English tutors there applied 2nd language
teaching techniques that boost my ability of English.

If you are wondering of the status of my "native" language Mandarin, I can say that my
standard is lower than that of someone who comes from China. As I am learning Mandarin
(Chinese) as a 2nd language, I actually learn much less vocabulary than with English. i
did not learn any specialized terms in Chinese, as these terms are taught through other
subjects in English. In addition, the secondary school syllabus of Chinese in Singapore
is barely equal to the primary school syllabus of Chinese in China. Furthermore, the
method to teach Chinese is very mechanical and outdated: forcing the students to
memorize long wordlists of literal vocabulary which one rarely use in conversion. If my
parents did not speak to me in Mandarin, my Chinese could have been a disaster!

One of the most nonsensical things that anger me is that I am not allowed to study
Chinese literature because of my English results! During my schooldays, the education
system emphasized the important of English, that if you did not do well for English, a
lot of doors were closed to you. I did badly for my English language and English
literature and hence I wanted to study Chinese literature instead. But the school
replied that I need to polish my English in order to study Chinese literature as this
is a directory from the ministry of Education. Years after I left, the ministry decided
to change this rule and allowed anyone with strong Chinese to study Chinese literature,
regardless of their English results. This incident caused me to hate English literature
and unable to appreciate Chinese literature. In short, I do not have literacy in my
best languages!

This is a big blow to me as a language lover. I do not have a native language in the
strictest sense an I wonder how I should learn other languages? Personally, I would
like to have Russian or French to take the role of my "native" language, but I think I
should brush up my Chinese or English instead.

Edited by Fasulye on 15 October 2011 at 11:07am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4852 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 2 of 69
14 October 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
You know the most spread languages as a native speaker. You can always make some effort
and learn some Mandarin terms and anything else.
2 persons have voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5052 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 3 of 69
14 October 2011 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I have just completed the test recommended by Professor Arguelles in his "Extensive
Reading and Vocabulary Range", in order to find out my English vocabulary size.

Could you give a link to this test? I'm very curious about it.
And don't be angry with the results. Nobody can possibly know as much words as a native speaker does unless he has lived in a country where the language is spoken.
1 person has voted this message useful

balou67
Triglot
France
Joined 5028 days ago

15 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: French*, Esperanto, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese

Message 4 of 69
14 October 2011 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
I feel so sad for you… I hope someday people will be allowed to choose language for
pleasure instead of undergoing humiliations like almost denying one's own culture and
silly drills to ease the path for the whites and still not feeling respected and
rewarded in any way.

To master a mother language has nothing to do with "knowing the most spread languages".
Asians should understand that English mustn't be allowed to rule the world as well as
their lives, as westerners should see that in no way can our children learn chinese
efficiently at school. Frustrating so many kids, even torturing them, just for the sake
of fulfilling their parent’s dream they’ll one day all have "good job" and "money"
makes me wanna p***!

Well… forget what I just said… I have difficulties with that kind of facts. It’s beyond
my understanding.

Edited by balou67 on 14 October 2011 at 9:21pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4862 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 5 of 69
14 October 2011 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
What is the test that Professor Arguelles recommended?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 69
14 October 2011 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Here it is:
http://my.vocabularysize.com/
7 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5562 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 7 of 69
14 October 2011 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
I'm curious what result you get with http://testyourvocab.com/.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5901 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 8 of 69
14 October 2011 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
I scored a vocabulary of 23,800 word families out of a maximum 25,000.
I'm a native English speaker so this isn't surprising, but some of the words were
tough nevertheless. Of the words used in the test I'm guessing that I know only 15%
in my target language (Polish). A lot of the words are uncommon, so anyone with a low
score should not be too discouraged.

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version