21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5452 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 1 of 21
03 October 2011 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
I just found this survey through Tumblr and thought I'd share it with you folks, in case anyone is interested in helping out this researcher by taking his questionnaire.

Language Learning Beliefs Survey

Please note: I do not know this guy personally and have no information about the survey, other than the description that came with the link:

"The first is Ron Peek, a PhD student in the Department of
Applied Linguistics and Communication, Birkbeck, University of London. He’s looking at the beliefs people have about learning a second language. If you’ve ever learned a second language he’d love to know about it! Ron’s survey is here."
3 persons have voted this message useful

ronp
Heptaglot
Australia
ronpeek.blogspo
Joined 5853 days ago

33 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, German, Flemish, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Norwegian, Mandarin, Esperanto, Finnish, Macedonian, Hindi, Greek, Indonesian, Lithuanian, Basque, Portuguese, Russian, Arabic (Written), Sign Language
Studies: Turkish, Swahili

Message 2 of 21
03 October 2011 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Hi Jinx!

I literally just created a post on this forum for my survey as well: I hit the 'Post'
button, and then I saw a post with the same title under mine! Well, thanks for posting
it, you just beat me to it. :-)

I have now closed the thread I created with the same name and here is what it said
previously:

What do you believe about language learning?

Hello,

My name is Ron Peek. I am a member of this forum (ronp) and a PhD student at Birkbeck,
University of London.

As some of you may already know, I am currently investigating a fascinating topic: the
effect of language learning experience on language learning beliefs. To this end, I am
very interested in finding out what you believe about learning languages and was
wondering whether you would like to participate in an online survey I specifically
designed for this purpose, the Language Learning Beliefs Survey (LLBS):
http://ronpeek.com/lime/index.php

Doing the survey will give you a more detailed insight into what you believe about
learning languages, which may help you in your own language studies. In due time, I
will share the results on this forum.

Kind regards and many thanks in advance for all your help,

Ron Peek

PhD Student
Department of Applied Linguistics and Communication,
School of Social Sciences, History & Philosophy,
Birkbeck, University of London
www.ronpeek.blogspot.com

Edited by ronp on 11 October 2011 at 5:11pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 21
03 October 2011 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
I have filled out the survey and hope that others will do the same. The members of HTLAL can't in any sense constitute a representative sample, but it will nevertheless be interesting to see the results when the survey is closed.

Edited by Iversen on 13 October 2011 at 3:13pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 21
04 October 2011 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
I have also taken the survey and can recommend other forum members to participate because this survey is full of interesting questions which are relevant for language learning. According to my estimation there is still not enough scientific research on this special topic so it's important to see what will come out of it. I am looking forward to read about the results which ronp will share our forum members. :)

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 04 October 2011 at 3:39am

1 person has voted this message useful

Icaria909
United States
Joined 5350 days ago

201 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 21
04 October 2011 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
Just did it. You should post the results here when the study if finished.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5452 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 6 of 21
04 October 2011 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
Hi Ron! I should have guessed you might be a member of the forum already, haha. Nice survey. :)

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 7 of 21
04 October 2011 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I think you should have added questions about the things that prevent people from learning, or which slow down the learning process, such as stress, fear of failure, being busy with work or family, lack of financial resources, etc.

ronp
Heptaglot
Australia
ronpeek.blogspo
Joined 5853 days ago

33 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, German, Flemish, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Norwegian, Mandarin, Esperanto, Finnish, Macedonian, Hindi, Greek, Indonesian, Lithuanian, Basque, Portuguese, Russian, Arabic (Written), Sign Language
Studies: Turkish, Swahili

Message 8 of 21
04 October 2011 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
@ Arekkusu: Thank you for taking the survey, much appreciated, as well as the feedback
you provided. Yes, I agree, all very important issues as well. But there is only so
much you can do in one survey. :-)

For me, establishing a language learning habit is about time management and
seizing/creating/maximising (small) islands of time during the day, so I do something
everyday and keep the momentum (or momentums) going, even if there are circumstances or
events that may impede or slow down my language learning, as you just highlighted,
which is always going to be the case - including enjoyable distractions, in my case
family time.

The main thing, I find, is not to get discouraged and to keep at it, but also find
something enjoyable about it and to find out how you learn best - where, when, with
whom and using what materials - which may take some time to figure out (in my case, a
continuous work in progress).

Edited by ronp on 04 October 2011 at 9:11pm

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version