one-giant-leap.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

465 posts - 696 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, ItalianC1, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Serbian

Message 9 of 18
15 September 2011 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Radu-1987 wrote:
Ah, I may appear silly now, it was the impression I had from the article you've posted. It was quite difficult for me to comprehend it, that's why I may seem off!

Sure, this quote is a joke. She mocks the "Bureaucratish" language and intentionally wrote this piece in Bureaucratish herself. Of course it's hard to understand. ;) Learn this piece and next time you'll recognize the bad style. :)

Edited by Siberiano on 15 September 2011 at 6:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

RedKing'sDream
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5587 days ago

53 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 10 of 18
24 September 2011 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
Both the vocabulary, the case system, the verbal aspect and tense system, as well as the pronunciation has changed. In other words-- all most everything.

I took an entire course on ~12th - 17th century Russian, and while the language has not changed as much as English has in that time frame, it has substantively changed.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4844 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 11 of 18
24 September 2011 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
RedKing'sDream wrote:
Both the vocabulary, the case system, the verbal aspect and tense
system, as well as the pronunciation has changed. In other words-- all most everything.

I took an entire course on ~12th - 17th century Russian, and while the language has not
changed as much as English has in that time frame, it has substantively changed.

Язык 13 века всё равно более или менее понятен.Изменилось всё, но сравнительно мало.
Базовая лексика осталось той же, в произношении это, в первую очередь, редукция гласных и
отвердение ж, ш и ц. Система склонения перестроилась, но не сильно. Вид глагола по сути
не изменился (только новые глаголы образовались), утвердилось одно будущее время,
давнопрошедшее исчезло, глагол "быть" в настоящем времени исчез, окончательно исчезло
двойственное число.

RedKing'sDream
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5587 days ago

53 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 12 of 18
24 September 2011 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
RedKing'sDream wrote:
Both the vocabulary, the case system, the verbal aspect and tense
system, as well as the pronunciation has changed. In other words-- all most everything.

I took an entire course on ~12th - 17th century Russian, and while the language has not
changed as much as English has in that time frame, it has substantively changed.

Язык 13 века всё равно более или менее понятен.Изменилось всё, но сравнительно мало.
Базовая лексика осталось той же, в произношении это, в первую очередь, редукция гласных и
отвердение ж, ш и ц. Система склонения перестроилась, но не сильно. Вид глагола по сути
не изменился (только новые глаголы образовались), утвердилось одно будущее время,
давнопрошедшее исчезло, глагол "быть" в настоящем времени исчез, окончательно исчезло
двойственное число.

I don't entirely agree. Once again, if you compare the changes that English undertook, then yes, modern Russian has not wildly deviated from the Eastern Slavic dialects spoken hundreds of years ago. But the changes are still rather substantive. First of all, a rather significant part standard lexicon used at that time is now defunct, so your implication that the standard, every-day vocabulary was the same is not true. Secondly, both the verbal system and the case system were rather different--I wish I had a handbook of Old Russian to just begin to list some of the many, many differences.

There are no doubt many sentences and phrases in Old East Slavic that are completely transparent, but many are rather opaque due several factors. While I am not a native speaker, I have asked educated speakers of Russian (some working on their phd in Slavic literature, no less) and they're usually surprised how difficult some things are to translate.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4844 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 13 of 18
24 September 2011 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
В письменной речи под влиянием церковнославянского использовались многие формы, не
употреблявшиеся в устной речи, например аорист и имперфект. Что изменилось в глаголе с 13
века? Хотя да, по мелочи изменений набирается много. Я думаю, что древнерусский после
падения редуцированных отличался от современного, примерно как русский от украинского.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4844 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 14 of 18
26 September 2011 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
И ты летаешь над твореньем,
Согласье прям его лия,
И в нём прохладным дуновеньем
Смиряя буйство бытия.
Текст написан в первой трети 19 века. Все понимают сразу смысл второй строчки?

Sasha_Kiselev
Russian Federation
Joined 4597 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Studies: English

Message 15 of 18
26 September 2011 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Все понимают сразу смысл второй строчки?

лилея?

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4844 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 16 of 18
27 September 2011 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
Что значит "лилея"? И в любом случае она тут ни при чём.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version