Language Learning Forum : Music, Movies, TV & Radio Post Reply
19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 19
19 December 2015 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Right now I'm in the process of converting my old tapes to wav files so that the collection survives the death of the tape deck. I still have two cassette players so I'm not in trouble yet, but I also have an old collection of vinyl records which I haven't been able to listen to since the band that turns the rotating disk on my grammophone broke - but luckily I had already transferred the music on the records to tapes, and now I transfer those tapes to digital files. So just to be on the safe side I transfer the music now, using the excellent - and free- program Audacity and a cable which I already had lying around. My only investment is a couple of external harddisks with 2 tB of space each.

And what has that to do with language learning you may ask? Well a lot, because I have hardly had time to listen to other sound sources like my TV since I started this project - I have spent almost all the time I'm at home and not sleeping or in bath listening to classical music. And classical music here means instrumental music. I have lots of ouvertures and even instrumental versions of other items from operas, but I don't accept them in the collection. So until this project is over (and I'm at Telemann right now) my language learning will be even more skewed towards the written language than it usually is. But from sometime in January I'll be back to the spoken languages again.

Edited by Iversen on 19 December 2015 at 12:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 19
19 December 2015 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
I feel like I read faster with instrumental music on, but I prefer modern stuff :)

Edited by Serpent on 22 December 2015 at 6:38pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 19
22 December 2015 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
I don't know whether I read faster, but I'm less disturbed by outside noise when I have some music on which I have chosen myself. And if I am trying to understand something in a weak language then music disturbs less than speech in a strong language. It must have something with the wiring of the brain to do..

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version