Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Systematic way to Chinese reading online?

Tags: Hanzi | Reading | Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
15 messages over 2 pages: 1
ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4338 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 9 of 15
29 August 2012 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
You can make your own readers :)

With about 10 minutes of effort, you can turn any online text into a reader. Download perapera Mandarin if you don't have it, it's a popup dictionary addon for firefox. Go into options and uncheck "disable keys", this will allow you to press "s" whenever you hover over a Chinese word and save it into your own vocab list. Go through an entire text, doing this with all words you don't know, and then copy and paste the vocab list, as well as the original text into something like microsoft word. Then you can print off both those pages and study them as you would with a normal reader. That's what I do myself with the Little Prince.

For actually learning the characters well, I've found that learning all 214 radicals changed my perception of characters so much. Now I see them in a different and fascinating light. Besides, of the 214, 80% are characters themselves, so you'll learn most of them eventually. If you study the radicals first, you'll realize that actually, Chinese characters are not only logical, but to a large extent, phonetic. And even for characters that aren't phonetic, thinking of them and writing them as radicals (puzzle pieces) of a character (puzzle), reduces the amount of effort needed to be put in. A character with 12 strokes for example, would require you to remember 12 steps. However if that same character had 3 radicals, then that means you only have to remember 3 steps.

Anyways, even if you don't take my suggestions, I wish you lots of luck!

Edited by ZombieKing on 29 August 2012 at 4:02am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Vegemighty
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4299 days ago

45 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 15
04 September 2012 at 5:40am | IP Logged 
I just signed up for remember.it two week trial. I like it so far. Thougyh I dont like how you need to give them your credit card info before the end of the two week trial and automatically enroll you if you don't unsubscribe in two weeks.
They say one can learn 2100 or so characters in 3 months with it. I'll see if that really is the case.
1 person has voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5770 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 11 of 15
04 September 2012 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
Vegemighty wrote:
They say one can learn 2100 or so characters in 3 months with it. I'll see if that really is the case.

I think it's going to mostly depend on how well the approach suits the way your mind works. For instance, Heisig learned 2100 Kanji in about a month...though note the number of forum members who dislike his approach. Good luck to you.

Edited by Snowflake on 04 September 2012 at 7:03am

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4482 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 

Message 12 of 15
04 September 2012 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
There are 10 shared anki decks called "Mastering Chinese Characters". Each deck has 300+ characters. They come
with very good audio, single character cards, sentence cards, English to Mandarin, Mandarin to English. Personally,
I'm like you. I read and write Japanese fairly well already, so I strip out everything except the Mandarin to English
sentences.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4255 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 13 of 15
17 October 2012 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
I rely on online dictionaries a lot. If you know how to pronounce single characters and
words and know their meaning, you can enter it easily. In 1 click you can select between
Traditional & Simplified fonts. Once you know the basic rules of writing from L to R &
top to bottom the rest is just looking it up. When I'm typing online I don't have to be
writing in every stroke like I do on paper. Just go by the Pinyin or word meaning and out
comes the word.

The characters are hard to learn and even harder to remember. So every once in a while
when I have to write or type something I'd look up a character online to make sure I'm
using the correct one instead of something that sounds the same or similar.

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6661 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 14 of 15
24 October 2012 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
However if that same character had 3 radicals, then that means you only have to remember 3 steps.

You mean three 'components'. A character can only have one radical. The radical (部首, literally "section heading") is the component under which it is listed in the dictionary.

john33
Australia
Joined 4236 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes

Message 15 of 15
29 October 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
I need to learn the characters, both reading and writing, to make the spoken language stick.

I use Matthews [M] "Learning Chinese Characters" and find it very good. It has mnemonics for both the character
and the sound + tone, for the 800 most common characters. For characters not in [M] I make up my own
mnemonics in a similar manner. I use Anki with Pinyin toolkit to help enter each character and word, including
mnemonic, as I work through NPCR and Pimsleur, and am quite exhaustive in entering all vocabulary I come
across.

I also have a spreadsheet, with one line for each character and word, and columns corresponding to the Hanzi,
English, Pinyin, Radical number (if it is one), phonetic component (if useful), mnemonic coding as in [M], and
various bookeeping. It is then easy to sort so all characters with the same sound, or same radical, or same
phonetic component, etc. are together. I first populate the spreadsheet and then transfer to Anki.

Wenlin is well worth the expense, keeping it open all the time gives interesting info about the characters as they
come up. It is also very good for reading any electronic material.

In summary, [M] + Anki + spreadsheet + Wenlin. Not everyone's approach --- and it needs to be combined with
Pimsleur and shadowing, for example.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version