Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

In praxis "law-of-7"/2 for polyliteracy?

Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery Post Reply
49 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>
Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 41 of 49
27 August 2011 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
Zwlth wrote:

I don't mean re-reading as opposed to initial reading, and in fact everything I said about the way these books are read and discussed in institutions where such programs are established was only by way of illustration that there is nothing unimaginable about reading several at a time - and again, as this is about polyliteracy, I maintain that it is necessary to do that in several different languages in order to qualify as a practitioner. Good habits that you form while in school stay with you throughout life. I loved such books already as a teenager, so I chose to go to a Great Books college, and I've subsequently as a graduate student taught Great Books seminars to undergraduates. Years ago I couldn't have read as many works in parallel as I do now, and I certainly couldn't have done so in multiple languages. Now I can, and that's what I started this thread for, to find out if there were others and, if so, how they balanced them all. But, now you've hijacked it definitively into this general brawl in which you all tag-team against me solo, so....

As for Iversen, I have to maintain that his blunder is not a minor one. There can be no contesting that the Guide to Great Books Education ought to be our definitive point of reference here. So, let's look at it right now. It is organized in sections - definitions, background, Great Books in his own education and in polyliteracy, and then a list, the standard canon (which is in no way "prominently featured" on the page - it is just there in context with everything else), then a discussion of principles for expanding the canon, then a vastly expanded Western canon (Arguelles' list), then links to the 20th century waiting list and to three other canons for other major civilizations, which unfortunately no longer seem to work, presumably because he is updating them. To wade into all of that without getting an overview, latch onto A list under the assumption that it is THE list, miss what is written about principles for expansion and offer impulsive suggestions for expansion that have actually already been implemented in a systematic fashion, and to overhear evidence from others that you are using the wrong list... I'm sorry, that is evidence of careless reading, and no one doing this in a real seminar would be allowed to continue on sidetracking the discussion, so what's uncivil about requesting that he read the point of reference more carefully before commenting further?

Exactly how is that uncontestable? For the purposes of showing what Iversen has read, the lists are about equally good, especially given that Professor Argüelles' list is essentially an expansion. That he suggested expansions to the standard cannon which accord with those offered by Professor Argüelles can hardly be held against him; rather, it speaks to the merits of the books they both think ought to be on the list. Much as I respect the work done by Professor Argüelles, a single web page is not a Great Book and rarely deserves to be read as one. Iversen is not basing his studies off of Professor Argüelles list; he was summarizing what he has already done. A blunder of this sort in such a context is truly minor.

I've never seen Iversen as annoyed as in this thread, and I've rarely seen Sprachprofi this annoyed either. None of us are prone to "tag-teaming". And, at the cost of being far more personal than I like to be, and with great reluctance, I shall say what is on my mind: if your conduct in this thread is typical for graduate students at your college, Great Books education is in far worse shape than I had feared. You, of all people, should have some handle on how to productively deal with rhetoric and public discussion; have you not learned anything at all from the Greeks, or the political commentators of more recent centuries? It may well be better to be feared than loved in some positions, but sloshing around hostility and barbs directed at everyone you are interacting with is a counterproductive tactic for almost any aim, and purely suicidal if you want to engage in civil discussion. Think we're idiots, if you want - but let us be, or try to elicit something of value if you think there is any potential. Otherwise, one is lead to conclude that either your education has utterly failed you, or that you prefer this type of interaction for reasons my education has not let me fathom.

Edited by Volte on 27 August 2011 at 3:38am

10 persons have voted this message useful

Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 5012 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 42 of 49
27 August 2011 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
"Exactly how is that uncontestable [sic]?" It is incontestable because we are discussing Professor Arguelles' concept in his own room. Of course the web page is not a great text in itself, but as it contains an original and an expanded list, the latter being the professor's, to take the former and call it "his" is incorrect, and to then imply that there are lacunae in it is quite unfair.

Great Books have been my life's blood, as have languages, which, under the Professor's inspiration, combined into polyliteracy. I came here hoping to find others who combine the two practices as I would love nothing more than to discuss them in a productive fashion. I've never had any problem doing this with others who were interested in them before, and it saddens me that this is the case here. I assure you, I have derived no pleasure or satisfaction from this thread, but only frustration and irritation as never in all my life have I had such an unpleasant and hyper-critical reception.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 43 of 49
27 August 2011 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Zwlth wrote:
"Exactly how is that uncontestable [sic]?" It is incontestable because we are discussing Professor Arguelles' concept in his own room. Of course the web page is not a great text in itself, but as it contains an original and an expanded list, the latter being the professor's, to take the former and call it "his" is incorrect, and to then imply that there are lacunae in it is quite unfair.

Granted.

Zwlth wrote:

Great Books have been my life's blood, as have languages, which, under the Professor's inspiration, combined into polyliteracy. I came here hoping to find others who combine the two practices as I would love nothing more than to discuss them in a productive fashion. I've never had any problem doing this with others who were interested in them before, and it saddens me that this is the case here. I assure you, I have derived no pleasure or satisfaction from this thread, but only frustration and irritation as never in all my life have I had such an unpleasant and hyper-critical reception.

Understandably. I've attempted to kick off a new thread for a fresh start, as I think the tone of this thread has been rather problematic. If you find the questions posed a poor basis for discussion, I'd also be entirely welcoming of you posing a better set.

People like you and Iversen have quite a bit of experience in reading Great Books in a number of languages, and it would truly be a pity if a good discussion doesn't end up growing out of that shared interest.

sipes23
Diglot
United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4656 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 44 of 49
28 August 2011 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
From Arguelles' list I read, in the original language:

Sir Thomas More's Utopia

Sprachprofi, not to get down on you… More's Utopia was actually written in Latin and has a fascinating history of
its own. More's Latin style is clear and crisp and sadly too few read Utopia in Latin. Particularly Latin students.
It's utterly fascinating. I read some selections with a couple students a few years ago. I had to make my materials.

I wish there were better editions of great works made for those of us who are less skilled, but want the original
language anyway. Geoffrey Steadman is doing some very good work with Ancient Greek.
See what he's up to here. More of this sort of thing needs
to be done. While scholarly vetting has its time and place, down and dirty readers may not be it. I cannot tell you
how much I am enjoying his Herodotus's Histories Book 1. Dude can tell a story.

Now, to address the main point of the topic. I myself, though by no means an advanced polyglot, find I cannot
read books in more than two languages at a time. English and a +1. I tried reading Herodotus and one of
Plautus's plays earlier this summer. Forget it. I had to pick one. Herodotus it is. Maybe it is because I was still
putting Greek syntax together in my head. Maybe I can pull off Greek and Latin together at some point: I don't
know. But for now, it feels like English and a +1 for serious works—if I want to maintain any sort of continuity in
my head. Of course, I can't say I'm tackling multiple complex works in English simultaneously either. I think my
limit is about four books: only one of which can be Serious Literature.

Now as it turns out, with Latin and English, I've got a nice variety of stuff to read. And do. (I'm a fan of Gesta
Romanorum in Latin.) I've read some Neruda in Spanish, which is beautiful. Ancient Greek is opening doors, but…
(having read this thread) I have two questions.

1. Why is polyliteracy the domain of Great Works of Literature? Am I less polyliterate because I read the news in
Spanish instead of Cervantes? Why? Again, polyliteracy looks like it should be defined as "able to read many
languages." That said, I understand what Arguelles is driving at when he uses the term. I respect what he's up to,
but my hackles raise when he uses the term that way. I know: he invented the word.

2. What is a Great Work of Literature? But that's opening another can of worms, so consider that the question is
rhetorical or for discussion in another place.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 45 of 49
28 August 2011 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Sipes: new thread started for question 2.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6256 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 46 of 49
28 August 2011 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
sipes23 wrote:
Sprachprofi, not to get down on you… More's Utopia was actually written
in Latin and has a fascinating history of its own. More's Latin style is clear and crisp
and sadly too few read Utopia in Latin. Particularly Latin students.
It's utterly fascinating. I read some selections with a couple students a few years ago.
I had to make my materials.

Thanks, I shall look for it in Latin. I wonder why our class read it in English then;
might as well have read a German translation.

sipes23
Diglot
United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4656 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 47 of 49
28 August 2011 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Sipes: TID=29224&PN=1&TPN=1">new thread started for question 2.

Which I then jumped over to.

Sprachprofi wrote:
sipes23 wrote:
Sprachprofi, not to get down on you… More's Utopia was actually
written
in Latin and has a fascinating history of its own. More's Latin style is clear and crisp
and sadly too few read Utopia in Latin. Particularly Latin students.
It's utterly fascinating. I read some selections with a couple students a few years ago.
I had to make my materials.

Thanks, I shall look for it in Latin. I wonder why our class read it in English then;
might as well have read a German translation.

The good folks over at Wiki have provided the original text:

http://la.wikisource.org/wiki/Utopia

This is about as good as it gets. As I said, getting a hold of the Latin text in printed form is no easy task. I had to
make my own materials for the class.
You can see how far I went.
Anyway, it's origin in Latin is significant to its history. More couldn't publish it in English or England because it
was a bit of an attack on Henry VIII, who was still on the throne. Utopia didn't make it into English until it had
been published for about 35 years. More and Henry VIII were dead at this time.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6489 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 48 of 49
29 August 2011 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
I got the expected scornful answer, which contained the following passage:

Zwlth wrote:
   Well, quite frankly I do have to wonder just how carefully you can have done your reading. I say this because what you repeatedly refer to in your plethora of posts as "Professor Arguelles' list" is not HIS list at all, but rather "the combined standard canon."

Apparently Zwlth can't read either: just above the 'combined standard canon' you find the following quote:

The great books of the Western world as they form the curricula at colleges around the United States, and as they are comprised in the encyclopedic publication of the same title, in effect form a canon of some 100 primary works or authors. As they are not quite the same at all institutions, I have combined the reading lists of a good number of programs (Columbia, Malaspina, St. John's, the Great Books Foundation, etc.) to find a general canon of closer to 150 works, 154 to be exact.

So Professor Arguelles has based his "combined standard canon" on preexisting lists, but it is his compilation and his annotations, and therefore I'm perfectly entitled to refer to it as his list. If mr Zwlth chooses to define things otherwise it's OK with me - it will not be the first time that has happened.

I do recognize that I should have used the extended list further down (plus the additional lists), but I only needed the list to illustrate that I have been through a fair number of great books, which became necessary when Zwlth conveniently overlooked my short remark about having read a fair number of those books. In that perspective it doesn't matter that professor Arguelles' extended list contains most of the works I missed in the shorter one, but of course I should have used that list instead. And of course I should have checked and rechecked whether Verne was on the list before mentioning his name. But in praxis it doesn't mean anything for my choice of things to read - I don't read things because they are on a list somewhere.

Let's return to the first message in this thread.

Zwlth wrote:
..although I could read books in 8 languages at a time ("law-of-7"), in praxis, over any given period of 3-4 months, I only read books in 4 languages at a time ("law-of-7"/2).

Since that first post we know that Zwlth ONLY considers reading great works as part of polyliteracy - in accordance with professor Arguelles, but based on the etymology of the word it means "the ability to read in many languages", and that's how I intend to use it (and I have made abundantly clear that this is a deliberate deviation from the terminology of professor Arguelles). In contrast, 'polyglottery' means the ability to speak in many tongues, which is something quite different (although we often lump any kind of language skills together under that name).

In the later part of the thread the 'praxis' of polyliteracy has been clarified: it is not as much reading the works as living with them for a long time. Now that really adds to the time expenditure - especially if you assume that even Zwlth also use background materials (although he hasn't mentioned them). This narrows his praxis down to something that is totally unpalatable for all but a microscopic fraction of the population (barely enough to fill the topmost chamber in one single ivory tower) - no wonder that he finds little resonance here!

In contrast, if you are interested in history and/or literature and you can read in several languages, then it is clearly a relevant occupation to read the main original sources from past times and other places, but not necessarily for the main part of your time. As I have written before I prefer finishing one thick book before I take on the next, but alongside those I read modern articles and books about the same things AND modern books and articles about scientific themes that for obvious reasons can't be studied through old books. And I can of course read those smaller items in more languages than those which I can speak, which makes the whole question about a restriction on the number of great books in different languages you can read concurrently patently absurd. Why should I choose to read four or seven great books at the same time, when I can read one such book assidously and from A to Z alongside with shorter texts or parts of texts in a plethora of languages? It is not only better for my language learning/conservation, but I simply learn more about the world in general.

There may indeed be a limit on how many works from the canonical lists you can read (or maybe even study) concurrently, just as there may be a limit on how many balls a juggler can keep in the air, but why try if the attempt takes all your time and leaves you with a narrow hyperacademical horizon?

Edited by Iversen on 29 August 2011 at 11:49pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version