10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7016 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 1 of 10
26 March 2005 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
In their book, "The Art and Science of Learning Languages," the authors Gethin and Gunnemark mention the names of several people who supposedly know 60, 70, or 80 languages. However, they do not give any biographical information. They do say, however, that all of them (the mentioners and the mentionees) belong to an association named Amici Linguarum. My efforts to find information about this have all been in vain. Does anybody know anything?
1 person has voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7136 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 10
27 March 2005 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Ardaschir, I have read this book and recall this mention.

Why would you not try to contact M. Gethin? His address is on his website registration:

A. Gethin
        60 Scotland Road
        Cambridge
        Cambridgeshire
        CB4 1QG
        GB
        editor@english-learning.co.uk

I found in
this article that "The Association Amici Linguarum was founded in 1964 as a Scandinavian association of people interested in languages and culture."

Edited by administrator on 27 March 2005 at 6:26am

Lugubert
Heptaglot
Sweden
Joined 6627 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 3 of 10
10 February 2010 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Not having found rules against thread necromancy, some excerpts from yesterday's mail:

After E. Gunnemark's death in 2007, the Association fell apart, but now a spearhead of several people are enthusiastic about resuming it.

So far, the activities of the revived Association extend to editing a Journal and organising linguistic meetings as well as free linguocultural courses.

Contact addresses: magnus.jo.larsson@gmail.com, amicilinguarum@rambler.ru
2 persons have voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5182 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 10
11 February 2010 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
That's interesting...I would like to join...
I only have to learn at least 59 more languages...

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 10
11 February 2010 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
I spent some time yesterday googling for Gethin and Gunnemark and for the Amici Linguarum. I found next to nothing about the Amici, and what I found was devoid of real information. There is a list of names in the book of Gunnemark, cfr. below. The majority of the links to Gunnemark were only concerned with his book "The Art and Science of Learning Languages", and in particular to the Russian translation of it. Even his own homepage http://www.kebi.se/erikgunnemark/ has very little information about himself.

His coauthor Amorey Gethin has got a homepage called www.lingua.org.uk (which is where the information given by Administrator is found), and Gethin has also written a number of books and articles which are seen as quite controversial in the language teaching business. I have only read a few things I could find on the internet, but nowhere else in these the Amici were mentioned. In principle Gunnemark may have been able to collect an international group of towering language learning giants who each spoke more than sixty languages, but it doesn't seem that they have been too keen about divulgating details about their activities to the public.

For those who would like to continue the search this is the namelist of 'Amici' given in Gunnemark and Gethin's book, p. 5:
Hans Alberg (Sweden), Leonard R.N. Ashley (USA), ROland J-L. Breton (France), Eugene Czerniawski (Russia), Johannes Hedberg (Sweden), Ola J. Holten (Norway/Sweden), Arvo Juutilainen (Finland), DOnald Kenrick (UK), Mary Ritchie Key (USA), Gustav Korlén (Sweden), Mari-Anne Lindblom (Sweden), Pent Nurmekund (Estonia), Pierre L.Sales (USA), Hans Joachim Störig (Germany) and Robert J. Trockmorton (USA).

Edited by Iversen on 11 February 2010 at 3:25pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6363 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 10
11 February 2010 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Juutilainen (Finland), DOnald Kenrick (UK), Mary Ritchie Key (USA),

Key was a linguist at one of the University of California campuses and died several years ago. One can read a brief bio here.

Aurelio
Sweden
fritenkaren.se
Joined 5154 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English

Message 7 of 10
17 February 2010 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Amorey Gethin has not been able to access this forum himself but has asked me to publish his reply:

"I spent some time yesterday googling for Gethin and Gunnemark and for the Amici Linguarum. I found next to
nothing about the Amici, and what I found was devoid of real information. There is a list of names in the book of
Gunnemark, cfr. below. The majority of the links to Gunnemark were only concerned with his book "The Art and
Science of Learning Languages", and in particular to the Russian translation of it. Even his own homepage
http://www.kebi.se/erikgunnemark/ has very little information about himself."

What is described above as Gunnemark's book ("his book"), "The Art and Science of Learning Languages", is the
one we wrote together (I in fact wrote four-fifths of it). Gunnemark's book that has been translated into Russian
is a quite separate book, and was originally written and published in Swedish: "Konsten att lära sig språk" [the
art of leaning languages]. Despite Gunnemark's generous statement that it was written in collaboration with me,
I in fact contributed nothing except the offer of a little advice. If I remember rightly, it was translated into
Russian by Dimitri L. Spivak. "The Art and Science of Learning Languages" has not been translated into any
language.

Best wishes,
Amorey Gethin"

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 10
13 April 2010 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
I saw this answer somewhat belatedly, but thanks to Aurelio (and Gethin) for sorting out some misunderstandings about the books. So there are two different books, but with very similar titles.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version