Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 425 of 479
21 December 2014 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2014년 12월 14일 - 2014년 12월 20일):

Extensive Reading:
- Twitter (a few visits each week)

GOAL STATUS: Week 52
Grammar 1 (Extract grammar from SRS): DONE (65 cards)
Grammar 2 (Complete Let's Speak Korean 2부): 28/130
Grammar 3 (Complete Talk To Me In Korean): DONE
Grammar 4 (Complete Survival Korean): Not Started
Grammar 5 (Complete SK: Basic Grammar): Not Started
Grammar 6 (Review Lonely Planet Phrasebook): Not Started
Grammar 7 (Review Using Korean): Not Started
Vocab 1 (SE read 24 songs): 15/24
Vocab 2 (INT read 1 TTMIK 이야기/month): 6/12
Production 1 (Memorize 1 song/month): 8/12
Production 2 (Write 2 posts/week): 29/52
Team Gumiho Challenges: 2/3

---

日本語 (2014年 12月 14日 - 2014年 12月 20日):

Current RTK Lite Status:
Lessons Done = 40 -> 42 (56)
Kanji Covered = 1586 -> 1647 (2042)
Active SRS Cards = 921 -> 950 (1116)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the
totals for completing RTK1 / RTK Lite.)

Pimsleur: 79-87 (semi-active)

Extensive Reading:

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 426 of 479
21 December 2014 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
TAC recap and 2015 plans:

My TAC this year was a bit of a disappointment overall. I wish I had achieved more of the
goals that I planned for myself, but at least I did induce language progress and learned
some useful information to help me better plan my TAC 2015 goals.

My interest in Spanish dropped sharply mid-year and simply never recovered. Not long
after, though, I started to have a renewed interest in Japanese. This time, however, I
actually seem to have gotten some Japanese "hooks" embedded which never really
happened the first time I tried to learn Japanese. Due to this I've already shot way past
the very early phase where I sidelined Japanese last time and see no signs of slowing
down yet. As such, that made me realize that trying to reintroduce Spanish again
without this kind of "hook" effect is just going to be a waste of my time. Spanish will stay
sidelined for now until something hooks me enough to keep my interest going.

One of the biggest lessons I learned this year is that year-long goals do not seem to work
for me. Even goals that I thought would be easy to meet in my Korean TAC goal list are
goals that I simply couldn't maintain for a full year. As such, I'm going to try a new
method this year and set goals with more intensity but over a shorter interval. I am not
completely decided on the duration yet, but at most they will be quarterly goals and at
the minimum monthly goals. Currently, I'm leaning toward quarterly goals (since monthly
goals may already be covered by any TAC challenges that appear). I think I can maintain
enough momentum for that kind of time window to allow for slightly more challenging
goals since I have a closer finish line each time. In addition the number of goals will be
reduced and I will attempt to focus more heavily on one language at a time. In TAC 2014
I had too many goals for each language while also trying to balance both languages. I
was hoping that keeping the goal lines so low would compensate for this, but it did not.
I'd rather have a more difficult task to accomplish, but have the time to focus on that
task rather than alternating tasks among a large list.

In other words, the goals for this year are going to be less "low intensity, long duration"
(like a marathon) and more "high intensity, short duration" (like a series of sprints). The
think the latter is going to prove to be far more effective. Regarding the comment above
about switching focus on each language, if I go with quarterly the plan would be
something along the lines of focusing on Japanese more in Q1, on Korean more in Q2,
then back to Japanese for Q3, then back to Korean for Q4. I may still have goals for both
languages in each quarter, but the goals for the "resting" language will be simple and few
in number. For example, in Q1 I may have 3 fairly intensive goals for Japanese and 1
minor goal for Korean. The minor goal may be something along the lines of a super
challenge goal where I'm simply tracking how many shows I watch (with the goal set fairly
low), whereas the intensive goals will involve more focused active work in the language
(textbooks, translation of material, song memorization, intensive reading, etc.) with much
higher benchmarks. If the minor goal in any way affects my ability to reach my intensive
goals, then I've set it too high.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 427 of 479
28 December 2014 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2014년 12월 21일 - 2014년 12월 27일):

Unsuspended Korean Cards: 6
- 홍진영 - 사랑의 배터리 (3 cards; 0 remaining)
- No Brain - 넌 내게 반했어 (1 cards; 2 remaining)
- Girls Day - 기대해 (2 cards; 7 remaining)

Extensive Reading:

---

日本語 (2014年 12月 21日 - 2014年 12月 27日):

Current RTK Lite Status:
Lessons Done = 42 -> 44 (56)
Kanji Covered = 1647 -> 1709 (2042)
Active SRS Cards = 950 -> 981 (1116)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the

Pimsleur: 88-90

Extensive Reading:

Comments:
Finally finished Pimsleur so it's time to delve into other resources (and to repurpose my
morning commute to some other task).

---

I was hoping to have my TAC 2015 goals ready to post by this morning, but I'm still
working out the details of them, so I'll post those as a separate entry.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 428 of 479
29 December 2014 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
TAC 2015 Q1 Goals:

While I am doing the TAC for two languages again this year, I am not going to focus on
both languages at the same time. I will have goals for both languages each time, but one
language will be heavily biased over the other for each quarter. In addition, I'm also
planning to focus on fewer goals at a time with higher goal posts rather than making fairly
minimal progress on a high number of goals.

Also, since I am primarily tracking this on a weekly basis (except for any monthly team
challenges that may appear), I'm considering today the start of my 2015 TAC.

Korean:

Korean is going to be the background language for Q1, not my primary focus. As such I
have only one established goal for this language and the difficulty of this goal is
intentionally minimal.

Goal K1: Watch Unsubbed Video (91 videos)

First I want to clarify that by "unsubbed" I'm only referring to English subtitles (via fan
subs, KBS World subbing, etc.). This distinction is important as Korean music shows and
Korean variety shows have lots of text onscreen, but still count as "unsubbed" for this
goal as long as they are not English subtitled videos. In fact, I would even be fine with
counting videos that are subbed into other language as long as the subtitled language
isn't my native one (ie. English). I also have no issues with counting videos I've watched
previously, including those I've watched with English subtitles.

There are two ulterior side motives behind this goal which makes it a very good goal
choice for me. The first motive is that it will help induce me to start watching music
shows more heavily again since I am far behind on them currently and need to catch back
up. That said, I've also determined that the only way to catch back up anytime soon is to
skip episodes, so I'll likely do that as well (i.e., watching one music show for a given
weekend rather than all three music shows for each given weekend). The second motive
is that it should induce me to start watching Running Man again. I was watching this
show quite heavily back when English subs were available from iSubs, but once their site
all but disappeared, I stopped watching them waiting for the site to return which it never
really did. I continued collecting the unsubbed versions, but that was more for future
rewatching use (as I always try to go unsubbed whenever possible when I rewatch a
show). This goal will make it worthwhile to start watching the unsubbed versions of these
shows instead as a first pass rather than just saving them for later rewatching.

The reason I picked "91" as the goal post is because weekly tracking will be more
convenient than monthly and 13 weeks x 7 days = 91 days for Q1. Thus this will be an
average of 1 unsubbed video per day. At this time I see no reason to dictate video
length (or switch the goal to hours) as this merely makes it more difficult to track the
goal and the only one I hurt by "cheating" at a goal like this is myself anyway.

Japanese:

Japanese is going to be my primary focus language for Q1. While this means I will have
more intensive goals for this language, I am still keeping the goal count low so I can keep
the goal posts for each goal higher than I would be able to otherwise.

Goal J1: Continue RTK (26 chapters)

Finishing RTK1 completely in Q1 is theoretically possible, but would require a much
faster pace than I have been doing them (thus greatly bumping my review counts) and
would reduce the time I can spend on other goals, so I will not attempt that as a single-
quarter goal. Instead my goal will simply be to ensure that I continue progressing at my
current rate. As my current rate is 2 chapters per week (1 on Saturday and 1 on
Sunday), I have set the goal accordingly. As a reminder, I'm doing an RTK Lite pass
followed by a clean up pass, thus my chapter total is effectively doubled over the 56 in
the book.

Goal J2: Textbooks (39 lessons)

I have finished Pimsleur Japanese 1-3 and am nearly done with the RTK Lite pass of
RTK1, so it is time to start on textbooks. My original idea for a goal was to do 1 lesson
per week in each of the 3 textbooks I'm most likely to use (Japanese for Busy People:
Kana Edition, Japanese for Everyone, and 일본어 무작정 따라하기). This would bring me
through lesson 13 of each book for a total of 39 lessons. However, the more I thought
about it setting it to 1 lesson per week per book seemed like a setup for failure since it
doesn't allow me any flexibility should I find myself preferring one textbook source over
another or growing tired of a textbook and stopping use of it. I had a similar issue with
TAC2014 by specifying sources and do not want to repeat that mistake. Thus the goal is
still 39 lessons, but does not specify where those lessons must originate. They can
come from any of those three textbooks, from other textbooks, from online learning
resources, etc. This goal, however, does not include language learning podcasts as
3/week is too easy of a goal for audio-based courses (since I can do those on my
commute unlike textbook or online study).

I expect this goal to be the trickiest of the three as finding time for textbook study has
always been a challenge, but I need to make time for it so I'm stating it as a goal to help
induce that.

Goal J3: Watch Videos (273 videos)

Unlike Korean, I'm still early enough in my Japanese studies that I feel that I still get
plenty of benefit from English subbed media (mostly in the form of vocabulary
acquisition). As such, my goal for Japanese media is merely to watch videos without
requiring them to be unsubbed. However since my language focus is Japanese for Q1 and
because I'm allowing subtitled media, I'm tripling the goal post compared to that of
Korean.

Edited by Warp3 on 29 December 2014 at 12:19am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 429 of 479
04 January 2015 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2014년 12월 28일 - 2015년 1월 3일):

Extensive Reading:

TAC Progress:
Unsubbed Videos = 0 -> 8 (91)
Team Challenges = 0 -> 0 (1)
final goals for Q1, except for the Team Challenge where it denotes the total number of
issued challenges.)

---

日本語 (2014年 12月 28日 - 2015年 1月 3日):

Current RTK Lite Status:
Lessons Done = 44 -> 46 (56)
Kanji Covered = 1709 -> 1775 (2042)
Active SRS Cards = 981 -> 1010 (1116)

Extensive Reading:

Comments:
One of my "lessons" for this week was actually the "Introduction" section from Japanese
for Everyone. The reason I counted it as a lesson is because it is rather lengthy and they
fit a lot of useful information in there. The introduction covers pronunciation rules
(including timing and stress pitch), the topic particle, word order, and verb/adjective
conjugation (complete with conjugation tables). Since I learned a lot from reading that
section and it is similar in length to the actual lessons themselves, I'm counting it as
"Lesson 0" of that book. The other 2 lessons I did this week were lessons 1 and 2 from
Japanese for Busy People (Kana Edition).

TAC Progress:
Rembering The Kanji = 0 -> 2 (26)
Textbook Lessons = 0 -> 3 (39)
Videos = 0 -> 22 (273)
Team Challenges = 0 -> 0 (1)
final goals for Q1, except for the Team Challenge where it denotes the total number of
issued challenges.)

---

Since I like the posting method I've been using for RTK better than the one I used for
TAC2014, I'm using that new posting method for TAC2015. I particularly like the fact that
it has both the current and previous values as that shows each week's progress rather
than just the running totals.

When posting my TAC goals, I noted that I felt no need to specify video length or measure
running times. However, a few videos I watched (Gaki no Tsukai clips, in particular) turned
out to be much shorter than I expected (many were 10 minutes or less) and counting
them didn't seem appropriate, but neither did it seem appropriate to simply not count
them at all. As such, I've instituted a bit of a self-imposed minimum of 23 minutes (which
is roughly the running time of a 30 minute TV show without ads) for a video to count. I
can count videos that are shorter but only if I combine them with other videos to make a
long enough running time. In other words three 10-minute videos equals one video
toward my goal. For a while I was also watching videos with very long running times (some
of the Gaki no Tsukai batsu game specials are 5 hrs long!), so I may institute a similar
rule to give multiple video credit to videos over a certain length. What I don't want to get
in the habit of is actively counting minutes or hours, though, so I want to keep these limit
rules fairly simple and keep the "1 video" running time range fairly wide so these are
rare exceptions, not common place occurrences. Most of the videos I watch are in the 23
- 90 minute range, so that is likely the "1 video" range that I'll opt to utilize.

I'm noticing something a bit unexpected about having video watching goals. Normally I
have a tendency to feel a bit guilty about watching videos rather than working on my TAC
goals like I should be, even though I know that video watching is an important part of
language learning as well. Now that they are actually part of those goals, though, that is
much less of an issue. The only real source of video watching guilt now is watching
subbed videos for Korean and I'm perfectly fine with that being the case.

Edited by Warp3 on 04 January 2015 at 2:54pm

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4419 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 430 of 479
07 January 2015 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
I find your idea of separating goals per quarter a very good idea. I'll be following how
that works out for you and will probably copy you next year if that goes well ;) (not
that following you will change anything since I was already doing so ^^)

Anyway, good luck! 頑張って!화이팅!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 431 of 479
08 January 2015 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
I think having short term goals will work very well for me since I tend to burn out trying to
maintain the same set of goals for a full year.

Thanks, best of luck to you in 2015 as well.

Am I correct in assuming that '頑張って' is the ’がんばって' that I hear so frequently on
Japanese TV (assuming I even spelled it right in Kana)?

EDIT: I just played with the Windows IME and apparently I had the spelling wrong for the first
Kana, but guessed the word correctly since fixing the spelling made it auto-generate those
Kanji.

Edited by Warp3 on 08 January 2015 at 12:37am

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4419 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 432 of 479
08 January 2015 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Yes indeed, You're right. I figured it'd be a good way to introduce those 2 characters in
Japanese if you didn't know them :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version