Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 297 of 479
03 December 2013 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Then again, judging by how few words you've added this year, maybe
there's no need to hang onto Anki after all.

Yeah, I definitely considered that point as well.

Quote:
I haven't figured out how to organize the cards yet though. I'm thinking the
character itself on the front side and the reading and the English meaning on the back
side. Maybe put some example words as well? I don't know.

Below is the post I made in this log back in April which describes the layout of my
Hanja cards and what I require of myself to pass them when reviewing. Maybe this can
give you a starting point for your own Hanja deck layout.

Warp3 wrote:
My primary reference for the data used to create the cards (readings,
meanings, and examples) is "A Guide to Korean Characters" by Bruce K. Grant. If I see
a character I want to learn (on TV, on a website, as part of the Hanja listing for a Sino-
Korean word I lookup on Naver or Daum, etc.) I'll add it to a "Hanja Queue" text file (which
I keep in my Dropbox for easy access) for later addition to my SRS.

When I add characters to my SRS, I either pull characters from the queue file (if there are
any waiting) or I'll just continue through the book wherever I left off previously (the book
is sorted by stroke count in ascending order and contains the roughly 1800 school-
taught Hanja characters).

The fields I have on my "Hanja" card type are:
Character: This field contains the Chinese character itself. This is the only field
that appears on the question side of the card.
Reading: This field contains the Korean pronunciation for this character. For the
few characters that have multiple readings listed in AGTKC, all the readings are listed.
For characters I learned while working on Japanese, a Japanese reading may also be
listed, but I don't require myself to recall these to pass the card.
Meaning: This field contains the Korean meaning given in AGTKC, the Korean
meaning given by the Windows IME (if different) and any English meanings given in AGTKC.
Examples: This field contains any example words listed in AGTKC plus any other
examples that I know use this character which I feel are relevant. If this character is a
simplified character (from Japanese studying) then it will usually contain Japanese
example words instead.
Variants: This field was created when I started linking my Hanja studies to my
Japanese studies. Characters that have both traditional and simplified forms will have
the opposing character listed in this field.
Keyword: This field was also created while adding Japanese to the mix and
contains either the keyword from either Heisig or Kanji Damage. Most cards do not have
this field populated.
If a character is in my queue but not in the AGTKC book, I'll often still add it anyway (if I
really want that character) but obviously have to get my readings, definitions and
examples from elsewhere (usually from
http://hanjadic.bravender.us/).

All my cards are passive only (Hanja character on question side) at the moment. To pass
a card I must give all Korean readings (most characters have only one) and understand
what the character means (producing the Korean meaning from the meaning field is a
plus, but not required). In the past I had a stroke order field (and required getting the
stroke order correct to pass) but I later dropped that requirement. My reason for
dropping stroke order was both due to that starting to feel unnecessary (as stroke order
starts to become obvious after a while) and because it took much longer to make cards
that way (since I had to find and insert images of the stroke order for each character).

Here is an example that contains all but one field (keyword) and has some Japanese
mixed in:
Character:
Reading: 진; ま
Meaning: 참 (true, real; likeness)
Examples: 진심(眞心; one's true heart, sincerity); 사진(寫眞; photograph); 진정(眞
正; genuineness); 真っ直ぐ「まっすぐ」
Variants:

Edited by Warp3 on 03 December 2013 at 3:17am

3 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4627 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 298 of 479
03 December 2013 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
I was surprised to see that 사진 uses the same characters as 진정 and 진심!

Would you consider sharing your Hanja deck? I think the information you've put on them is very useful and I'd like to learn more of the syllable meanings (although I don't think I'll be able to remember the characters themselves).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 299 of 479
04 December 2013 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Would you consider sharing your Hanja deck? I think the information
you've put on them is very useful and I'd like to learn more of the syllable meanings
(although I don't think I'll be able to remember the characters themselves).

Here is a link to my current 800-card Hanja deck (exported to apkg format without
scheduling
data).
https://dl.dropboxu
sercontent.com/u/24851454/hanja.apkg

NOTE: Some of the first cards I added were done before I got AGTKC so those contain
less
content in general, including fewer examples. Those are also some of the most common
Hanja, though, which is why I started with them.

Edited by Warp3 on 08 December 2013 at 4:31pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 300 of 479
08 December 2013 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 12월 1일 - 2013년 12월 7일):

New Hanja Cards: 5
(Total = 800)

Extensive Reading:
- 와라!편의점 (read daily)
- Twitter (a few visits each week)

I did test my reading speed using 와라!편의점 as a reference point for how long I'm
spending with Anki. The times varied a good bit per day, but the shortest was 3.5 min
and the longest nearly 6 min. The average (of 6 days) was just under 4.5 minutes,
though.

---

español (1/12/2013 - 7/12/2013):

Michel Thomas Total Spanish:
- Foundation Course: Tracks 43-83 (out of 83 tracks total)
- Vocabulary Builder: Tracks 1-28 (out of 28 tracks total)

Bilingual reading:
- Foxtrot en español (read daily)
- Dilbert en español (read daily)
- Calvin and Hobbes en español (read daily)
(NOTE: I stopped listing "XKCD en español" here as it hasn't updated even once since I
first listed it. I may go back and read the older comics there at some point, though.)

I finished the Michel Thomas Total Spanish course this week and I'm rather confused by
one aspect of the included vocabulary builder lessons. The teacher keeps referencing
back to things that you should "remember from Michel Thomas's course" yet she states
this about things like the simple past tense that were not taught in the included 7-disc
course. Was the vocab builder perhaps designed to follow the old Advanced course
instead, not the old Foundation course, or did they perhaps revamp the Foundation
course and remove the simple past in the "Total Spanish" version? He teaches the past
perfect (i.e., have done) and the past progressive (i.e., was doing), but never the simple
past (i.e., did).

Edited by Warp3 on 08 December 2013 at 4:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 301 of 479
09 December 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
Two updates:
Yesterday evening, I went into my normal routine of adding 5 new cards to the Hanja
deck. I know I said I would plan to slack off for a bit after hitting 800 cards, but it almost
seems like a ritual now and it seems to stay tolerable as long as I stay at about 5 or so
cards per week maximum. However, I actually added 6 cards instead. Why? Because
that was the number required to complete the remaining characters from the "8 stroke"
section of the book!

This morning, I decided to suspend all cards in the "Korean" deck that were over 1-year-
old (created Dec 9, 2012 or earlier) to see how my review counts would change.
Afterward, the review count for today went from 68 to 4! As such, I've decided to leave
them suspended for now. My current "active" deck is now 220 cards (out of 4506) with
the oldest cards created on 12/12/2012.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4627 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 302 of 479
09 December 2013 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Sounds like you made a very good decision! I can't imagine reviewing the same cards for years and years... Either you know them at some point or you won't learn them by simple repetition, I guess. And if they're very old I can't imagine they'll slip your memory so easily anyway.

I just saw that I totally forgot to give you some feedback on the deck! Thanks for considering to share it! Unfortunately I couldn't open it... might be a mac problem...

EDIT: Are you considering TAC 2014? Looks like there will be a Korean team this time!

Edited by druckfehler on 09 December 2013 at 2:42pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 303 of 479
09 December 2013 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Sounds like you made a very good decision! I can't imagine
reviewing the same cards for years and years... Either you know them at some point or
you won't learn them by simple repetition, I guess. And if they're very old I can't
imagine they'll slip your memory so easily anyway.

That's kind of how I looked at it when I finally decided to try it. Any fact I haven't
learned after a year of reviewing is perhaps I fact I don't really need all that much
after all (otherwise I'd have seen it elsewhere enough to remember it more easily).

Quote:
I just saw that I totally forgot to give you some feedback on the deck! Thanks
for considering to share it! Unfortunately I couldn't open it... might be a mac
problem...

Odd. Just in case your browser is choking on the unexpected file extension (APKG) try
this link (the same file as before but inside a ZIP file this time):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24851454/hanja.zip

Quote:
EDIT: Are you considering TAC 2014? Looks like there will be a Korean team this
time!

I've thought about it. TAC 2012 did seem to be pretty effective at inducing consistent
progress (based on my Anki numbers, at least).

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 304 of 479
14 December 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
General TAC 2014 Goals

More specific goals (in the form of quantifiable targets, where possible) are forthcoming,
but here are my overall general goals for TAC 2014.

Korean:
1) Spend more time actively studying Korean grammar forms, idioms, etc. rather than
focusing so much on vocabulary.
2) Continue to increase Korean vocabulary, but not via direct studying (mostly likely via a
return to intensively reading and memorizing song lyrics)
3) Work more on Korean production (both writing and speaking)

Spanish:
1) Find my first real "hook" for Spanish. Korean originally hooked me with music then
later hooked me via other routes (like variety TV) as well. As such, even when I'm not
learning Korean actively, I'm still getting constantly exposed to it. I need to find my first
deeply imbedded "hook" for Spanish to keep the language ever-present, even when I'm
too busy or uninterested to actively study it. I've tried to make music a hook for Spanish
as well, but I'm not sure how well that is working yet.
2) Complete my review pass of Pimsleur Spanish 1-3 and continue on through Pimsleur
Spanish 4.
3) Restart and finally complete Assimil Spanish with Ease (even if I have to drop the SRS
part to make sure I keep going this time).
4) Start active use of Spanish fairly early in the challenge period.

Edited by Warp3 on 15 December 2013 at 12:14am

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version