https://learning-wit
Joined 4674 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 65 of 355
21 July 2011 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:

I marked all terms and exported to anki and I got some French (not all my french terms)

The Anki export exports only those terms that have a sentence with the term in {....}. (The reason: it needs this for
creation of cloze tests).
2 persons have voted this message useful

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4674 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 66 of 355
21 July 2011 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:

When exporting terms tsv I get the following message at the first line -

<b>Notice</b>: Undefined variable: cnt in <b>C:\.....\utilities.inc.php</b> on line <b>788</b><br />

This has been fixed in 0.9.3 re-released today @ 13:25 CEST.

Michel1020 wrote:

but there is a big problem with the first one. I got the word une that I hinted in Spanish as a form ot the
Spanish verb unir. I got une for the word - the translation is the one I included in my Spanish hint and the
example sentence is a french sentence where the french word une (one) is used.

I also noticed that the translations of my Spanish terms are shorted to the first line when I saw them with
the French filter - they are completed when using the Spanish filter.

Maybe you should start again from scratch with 0.9.3. There were so many changes and bug fixes in the
meantime.

Sorry for any inconvenience. The actual version should be already nearly stable (but of course still beta).
I hope to release a stable version 1.0 end of July.

Edited by lwtproject on 21 July 2011 at 1:31pm

1 person has voted this message useful

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4674 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 67 of 355
21 July 2011 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
Arthaey wrote:

Any suggestions on where to get texts that are more interesting than all the "old stuff" on Project Gutenberg?

Read the section "How to learn" ...
http://lwt.sourceforge.net/info.htm#learn
In that section are two links....

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4799 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 68 of 355
21 July 2011 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:

Maybe you should start again from scratch with 0.9.3. There were so many changes and bug fixes in the
meantime.

Sorry for any inconvenience. The actual version should be already nearly stable (but of course still beta).
I hope to release a stable version 1.0 end of July.

No problem - I tested the 0.92 and wrote all my remarks in the hope to help the project.

Here are some comments about the 0.93

The "zero word text" is now corrected - when you will have time I am very curious to know what was the problem there. Thank you for your job correcting that. And for all your job.

I had to clean my database for the strange mixing between 2 languages - after the cleaning I add one word in Spanish and another in french - it looks ok. However I am not sure how and why this mixing problem occured the first time - so I am not sure if it will not occur again - I will keep testing for a few days - just in case. Thank you for your explanation about installing the software more than ones - each of them using its own database.

2 little problems.

When creating a new text. I check before inserting. When clicking the back from the checking page it comes back to the text creation page but on an empty form in stead of coming back to the form containing the text - its title etc.

The last text is the last text - this means if you change language you could be in Spanish and have the link to a french text if the last text you work on was a french one. The language of the last text is well displaied but i think it would be better to link to the last french text when you are working on french or to the Spanish when working on Spanish etc

I did not test a lot and there are many options I did not use like the listening part - and the vocabulary exercises.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5200 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 69 of 355
22 July 2011 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Many thanks for creating this program and sharing it with us. I've been waiting for a
program of this sort for a good while now and so far it works perfectly for me.

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4674 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 70 of 355
22 July 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Michel1020, for your valuable comments and suggestions.

Today 0.9.4 was released.

"Import of terms" now only needs a translation if the status is set to 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. Furthermore it will not only
imports terms as TAB (ASCII 9) separated values (TSV) or "#" separated values, but also as comma separated
values (CSV, strings in quotes ("...", if needed), a quote within a string as double quotes (""); this is the format
that LingQ uses for exporting terms).

New settings "Testing: Number of sentences displayed from text, if available" and "Terms: Number of sentences
generated from text, if available". Default is "Just ONE". The options "TWO (+ previous)" and "THREE (+ previous,
+ next)" now allow you to do MCD (Massive-Context Cloze Deletion) testing, as proposed by Khatzumoto @
AJATT.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5200 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 71 of 355
23 July 2011 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
I've been using the programme for a few hours now and would like to make one little
suggestion though I may have overlooked something.

When testing you are essentially forced to see the sentence that the term was taken from
and it might be useful to be able to be able see the term out of context so that the
context does not act as a possible crutch.

It isn't really a big problem since if you see the term across different contexts you
will learn it but it might be useful to occasionally be able to test some terms without a
contextual sentence to guide you.

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4674 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 72 of 355
23 July 2011 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
... it might be useful to be able to be able see the term out of context so that the
context does not act as a possible crutch.

It isn't really a big problem since if you see the term across different contexts you
will learn it but it might be useful to occasionally be able to test some terms without a
contextual sentence to guide you.

Version 0.9.5, released today, has this feature. You can now also test without sentence, just the term.

Hope you enjoy it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 355 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version