CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5625 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 281 of 355
21 August 2012 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:
Some weeks ago, I found an LWT alternative, programmed in Java, that looks very promising: "Foreign Language Text Reader" (FLTR).

Thanks for that very useful information. I was an "early adopter" of LWT. I now have both LWT and FLTR running in Ubuntu. I exported the LWT terms to FLTR. Excellent. Both have their advantages.

However, if LWT and/or FLTR want to move from "excellent" to "absolutely outstanding", then I have a suggestion.

I know it would not be easy. But it would revolutionise language learning.

MAKE IT WORK DIRECTLY IN A BROWSER!!!!!

As a browser selectable add-on that would add all (or most) of the features of LWT to a browser, most-importantly colouring the words, it would immediately become the most productive language learning tool in the world.

Again, I know it would not be easy. But it would be "absolutely outstanding".

1 person has voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4776 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 282 of 355
21 August 2012 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
   want to move from "excellent" to "absolutely outstanding", then I have a suggestion.

I know it would not be easy. But it would revolutionise language learning.

MAKE IT WORK DIRECTLY IN A BROWSER!!!!!

As a browser selectable add-on that would add all (or most) of the features of LWT to a browser, most-importantly colouring the words, it would immediately become the most productive language learning tool in the world.

Again, I know it would not be easy. But it would be "absolutely outstanding".

Why ?

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5625 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 283 of 355
21 August 2012 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
Why ?

Because it could then become a normal part of your target language browsing. Now you have to copy the text from the browser (often hard to get multiple parts of it), start the LWT application, open a New Text, paste it in and then open it for reading. All those extra steps means that the vast majority of my TL browsing is not done in the very productive LWT mode.

Edited by tommus on 21 August 2012 at 5:04pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4460 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 284 of 355
21 August 2012 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:
Both LWT and FLTR have example data with a Japanese example.

For Japanese the FLTR language settings must be adjusted as follows:
WordCharRegExp = 一-龥ぁ-ヾ
MakeCharacterWord = 1(yes) or 0(no)
RemoveSpaces = 1(yes) or 0(no)

If you select MakeCharacterWord = 0, you must insert spaces to indicate word boundaries.

Or use Mecab: http://mecab.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/mecab/doc/index.html

Or this Japanese Space Inserter: http://nihongo.dpwright.com/spaces/index.php

The blog "Mikoto's Adventures in Japanese" has many articles about using LWT with Japanese; they apply mostly also to FLTR. --> http://mikotoneko.wordpress.com/

That space inserter page actually makes LWT useful again. Thanks for the link.

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4651 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 285 of 355
21 August 2012 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
That space inserter page actually makes LWT useful again. Thanks for the link.

Glad to read this!

tommus wrote:
MAKE IT (FLTR) WORK DIRECTLY IN A BROWSER!!!!!

It's not possible due to certain restrictions in browsers (e.g. no read/write access to local files). I would have programmed LWT that way if it were feasible....

As an add-on you were bound to Firefox or Chrome, or one has to program different add-ons for different browsers. Too much work!

Edited by lwtproject on 21 August 2012 at 7:36pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4889 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 286 of 355
21 August 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:

As a browser selectable add-on that would add all (or most) of the features of LWT to a
browser, most-importantly colouring the words, it would immediately become the most
productive language learning tool in the world.

Not sure it would be practical, considering that you're relying on your text being
available online (if I'm understanding you correctly). The text has to be stored
somewhere, and online text has a tendency to be changed over time by its author(s).

Even FLTR stores its text in a file on your computer, just not in a database.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 21 August 2012 at 7:35pm

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5452 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 287 of 355
21 August 2012 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
I just started using LWT and really like it, but for some reason my preferred German dictionary (dict.cc) always comes up as a pop-up, rather than opening in the bottom right frame (which I would prefer). Is there a way to fix this, or is it just a quirk of the dict.cc website? There doesn't seem to be anything about pop-ups vs. frames in the "settings" section.

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4651 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 288 of 355
22 August 2012 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
I just started using LWT and really like it, but for some reason my preferred German dictionary (dict.cc) always comes up as a pop-up, rather than opening in the bottom right frame (which I would prefer). Is there a way to fix this, or is it just a quirk of the dict.cc website? There doesn't seem to be anything about pop-ups vs. frames in the "settings" section.

Some web dictionaries (like dict.cc) do not allow to be opened within a frame set. They "break out" of the frame set and use the whole browser window. To overcome this, an asterisk can be put in front of the dictionary URL in the language settings: *http://de-en.dict.cc/?s=### (look into the language settings!). With an asterisk in front, the web dictionary opens in a separate window, and you are able to study the text without problems. If you don't like this, you have to find a different web dictionary that does not have this frame set breakout behavior...

Edited by lwtproject on 22 August 2012 at 9:21am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 355 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version