Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4776 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 217 of 355
29 September 2011 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
dongsen wrote

To put it simply, splitting up the chinese characters is about as useful as splitting up English characters.

-------------------------------

I disagree.

Splitting English or any european languages by characer is non sense but this have sense for chinese where one character is often a word and where there is not always a space between words.

In LWT it is possible to record translations for group of words up to 9 - so if you split the language by character - up to 9 characters together. With thousands of unique characters I doubt any chinese word to be longer than 9 characters. This means you are able to record any chinese word translation. Probably it is less easy in LWT to record sentence translation in chinese than it is to record up to 9 words sentence in european languages.

LWT is open source and you are welcome to modify it to fit your needs. The author of LWT already said he wanted to stop working on his software at least for now.

Probably the best way to learn chinese with lwt is to get a way to segmentate your chinese texts and import the results without spliting character. A bit like for thai as I explaned in a previous message in this thread.

I get the following site where you could segmentate online or download a php code to install in your own website. I don't know enough chinese to test it myself

http://www.chine-informations.com/chinois/outils/segmenter/

Edited by Michel1020 on 29 September 2011 at 9:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

dongsen
Taiwan
Joined 4568 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English

Message 218 of 355
29 September 2011 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
dongsen wrote

To put it simply, splitting up the chinese characters is about as useful as splitting up English characters.

-------------------------------

LWT is open source and you are welcome to modify it to fit your needs. The author of LWT already said he
wanted to stop working on his software at least for now.

I am not suggesting the developer should do anything, I was just providing what I hope would be some useful
feedback. I also tried to help by find a useful resource that would help improve the product. Take it how you will.

Droenix
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4568 days ago

8 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 219 of 355
30 September 2011 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
I feel like Japanese doesn't work very well with LWT, because it doesn't seem like it wants to cooperate with the Hiragana. I can't name a new term in hiragana, because it says something about lower-case and upper-case.

I'm also inexperienced at this program and I'm rather evasive of trying to use it...

Edit: Here's what it says exactly: "New/Edit Term: むかし

*** Error: Term in lowercase must be exactly = "むかし", please go back and correct this! ***"

Edited by Droenix on 30 September 2011 at 1:25am

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4651 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 220 of 355
30 September 2011 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
Droenix wrote:
I feel like Japanese doesn't work very well with LWT, because it doesn't seem like it wants to
cooperate with the Hiragana. I can't name a new term in hiragana, because it says something about lower-case
and upper-case.

I'm also inexperienced at this program and I'm rather evasive of trying to use it...

*** Error: Term in lowercase must be exactly = "むかし", please go back and correct this! ***"

Hi,
the error message is a bit misleading in case of Asiatic etc. languages.

It seems that you CHANGED the TERM while EDITING it. This is not allowed. The only changes that are allowed are
to change characters within the term from uppercase to lowercase and vice versa.

For Asiatic languages it does not make sense to change a term.

You have the following possibilities:

(1) delete the term (popup menu) and
(2) create a new term (yellow icon in the top left frame)

Normally it is not needed to change a term (besides uppercase/lowercase).

I am happy to answer your further questions in the LWT Help forum.

Edited by lwtproject on 30 September 2011 at 9:13am

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4651 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 221 of 355
30 September 2011 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:

I disagree.

Splitting English or any european languages by characer is non sense but this have sense for chinese where one
character is often a word and where there is not always a space between words.

In LWT it is possible to record translations for group of words up to 9 - so if you split the language by character -
up to 9 characters together. With thousands of unique characters I doubt any chinese word to be longer than 9
characters. This means you are able to record any chinese word translation. Probably it is less easy in LWT to
record sentence translation in chinese than it is to record up to 9 words sentence in european languages.

LWT is open source and you are welcome to modify it to fit your needs. The author of LWT already said he
wanted to stop working on his software at least for now.

Probably the best way to learn chinese with lwt is to get a way to segmentate your chinese texts and import the
results without spliting character. A bit like for thai as I explaned in a previous message in this thread.

I get the following site where you could segmentate online or download a php code to install in your own
website. I don't know enough chinese to test it myself

http://www.chine-informations.com/chinois/outils/segmenter/

I fully agree.

Segmentation is possible via a lot of webtools or via the Hanzi Split function within the Wenlin software.
If you don't want to segment, use the 1-character=1-word option and load a dictionary e.g. CCDICT or similar into LWT. Then
this dictionary will do the segmentation automatically for you. That is also the preferred approach for Japanese, etc.

Please do not forget: LWT is not a tool for Chinese or Japanese, the aim is to support nearly all writable languages of the world.

Edited by lwtproject on 30 September 2011 at 9:19am

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4651 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 222 of 355
30 September 2011 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
Splog wrote:
After using LWT for about a month, I have been impressed. As a result, I
have made a small video on my youtube channel recommending it.

As many tutorials in youtube - I am not able to read what is displayed on the screen because it is too small. It is a
little frustrating to see the texts so small on 1 left third of the page when 2 other thirds are empty.

However I hope people with bigger screen and deeper resolution screen will see this movie in better quality. Thank
you for publishing it.

Switch to the HD version of the video and display in full screen. You are then able to read everything.

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4776 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 223 of 355
30 September 2011 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
Report troubles at the official help forum

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lwt/forums/forum/1813497

Droenix
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4568 days ago

8 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 224 of 355
30 September 2011 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:
Droenix wrote:
I feel like Japanese doesn't work very well with LWT, because it doesn't seem like it wants to
cooperate with the Hiragana. I can't name a new term in hiragana, because it says something about lower-case
and upper-case.

Hi,
the error message is a bit misleading in case of Asiatic etc. languages.

It seems that you CHANGED the TERM while EDITING it. This is not allowed. The only changes that are allowed are
to change characters within the term from uppercase to lowercase and vice versa.

For Asiatic languages it does not make sense to change a term.

You have the following possibilities:

(1) delete the term (popup menu) and
(2) create a new term (yellow icon in the top left frame)

Normally it is not needed to change a term (besides uppercase/lowercase).

I am happy to answer your further questions in the LWT Help forum.

Alright, I solved my issue. I uninstalled EasyPHP, then reinstalled it and downloaded the latest version of LWT, replaced the old files and redownloaded the demo database. It seems to be working well now! Before it was displaying this weird code and now it's not!

This discussion contains 355 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version