Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4797 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 193 of 355
03 September 2011 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Very interesting.

One way to avoid the problems of Safari with the frames is to make the frames from the css.

Everything displayed on the screen should be between <p> and </p> forming a paragraph. Each paragraph could be named and this way distinguished from other paragraphs.

Then in the css it is possible to create the frameset effect with data like the starting point of the paragraph on the screen, the number of lines, the lenght of lines and so on, for each paragraph.

Edited by Michel1020 on 03 September 2011 at 12:05am

1 person has voted this message useful

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4672 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 194 of 355
03 September 2011 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
LWT 1.3.0 has been released:

Tagging of texts and archived texts introduced. With this feature, it will be easier to categorize and organize your
texts. After having tagged your texts, you are able to filter texts according to one or two tags.
Rudimentary right-to-left (rtl) script support: new db field in languages to set a language to right-to-left script, all
relevant parts with respect to rtl support changed. A simple Hebrew example added to demonstrate rtl support.
Documentation, screenshots, Anki example file updated.

After Installation, please clear your browser cache.
Please report bugs/problems: http://bit.ly/nTWW7N

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4672 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 195 of 355
09 September 2011 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
LWT 1.4.0 has been released today:

Mobile Version (experimental, via mobile.php): Selection of Language, Text, and Sentence, Playing the audio (if
exists), Reading the text either sentence-by-sentence or term-by-term (saved words shown with translation,
romanization, and status (via color). This mobile interface does not yet allow data manipulations.

Texts, archived texts and terms can now also be filtered by "untagged".

A "Repeat Audio / Single Play" toggle button for media player was added.

In 1.3.1:

New multi actions for marked/all terms:
Set Terms to Lowercase, Capitalize Terms, Delete Sentences of Terms.

Edited by lwtproject on 09 September 2011 at 7:05pm

juman
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4998 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French

Message 196 of 355
16 September 2011 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
I have this installed and just love what i can do. However I am curious how it is used. So how much time do you
spend on translating, working with SRS (do you use the internal, Anki or?) and just listening/reading? Give some
examples of your "workout" schedule?

Regards,

Fredrik

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5413 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 197 of 355
19 September 2011 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Hey all! I really really liked the idea of this LWT project, and how much it can help people learn a language, so I wanted to help spread it myself.

While the steps to install it are indeed very easy, we can't doubt that they are intimidating for those unfamiliar with those interfaces, so I am hosting the system on my website as an alternative for those interested. As well as skipping the set-up procedure, by it being available online you can access it from anywhere, and I'll worry about updating it myself so individual users don't have to.

The set-up procedure is very very easy:

1. Create a log-in here: http://www.fluentin3months.com/wp-login.php?action=register& view=forum (a password will be emailed to you, and you can change it immediately. This is part of spam prevention for the Fi3M forum).
2. When logged in, simply type fi3m.com/lwt [a short link that's easy to type quickly on a mobile device], which will redirect you to http://www.fluentin3months.com/lwt.

That's it!

If any of you have already signed up for the forum on Fi3M, then you can actually skip step one :) I have merged the one login for the forum and lwt on my Wordpress database.

I had to hire someone to help me with the complex coding to make this work, but despite the personal expense, I will make this system entirely free. The only planned change I have is to put a fluentin3months banner on the welcome screen, as it is in the forums. But this will not be on the reading interface itself.

If you have any feedback related to problems with the interface on my site (not LWT in general), rather than replying here, please let me know on the Fi3M forum (same login used for LWT) here

Once enough people have tried it out from both this forum and my own, and I know it's working well, I'll announce it on the blog and hopefully many people will use it as a cool language learning interface. I will certainly be using it myself to improve my reading abilities!
7 persons have voted this message useful

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4672 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 198 of 355
19 September 2011 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
Well done, Benny, and thank you for all the work!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4797 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 199 of 355
21 September 2011 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Since there are some problems with Benny version (see his forum)- I give you my lwt online

http://lwt-online.tk

I put a demo of version 1.0.0 and 1.3.0 but you will get the 1.4.3 or any other I have downloaded [edited if you prefer so]

Edited by Michel1020 on 22 September 2011 at 12:09am

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5413 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 200 of 355
21 September 2011 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Michel, as I said in reply to you on my forum, there are no real problems - there are final debugging of things we missed, before I announce the completed version on my blog.

Your site doesn't necessarily solve these problems, and it uses older versions of the software and you aren't clear about if it has the same issues I'm having or others.

As this is open source it's great that people have choices of how to use it, but please promote the advantages of using your system rather than vaguely saying mine has problems that yours solves, as it doesn't. And you don't host 1.4.3, you just link to it!

The only "problem" we can find on my current version is exporting vocabulary for study, but it looks very easy to solve, and will likely be solved very quickly.

This discussion contains 355 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version