37 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4816 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 1 of 37
08 June 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
What do you think of Russian spelling? Is it too complex? What would you like to change in it? What are positive features of Russian spelling if there are some?
1 person has voted this message useful

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4806 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 2 of 37
08 June 2011 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Would be interesting indeed to see some learners' opinions on the subject...

Radu-1987
Diglot
Groupie
RomaniaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4749 days ago

42 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Japanese*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 37
08 June 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
I do find it complex, however I appreciate its complexity for it grants me sense of satisfaction when, everytime after studies, I can tell that the knowledge is being accumulated in my brain.

One positive nature of Russian spelling would be that it is quite systematic, if one follows strictly its rules, I would say, in my novice opinion, that 70% or so could be mastered thus.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4816 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 4 of 37
08 June 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Radu-1987 wrote:
I do find it complex, however I appreciate its complexity for it
grants me sense of satisfaction when, everytime after studies, I can tell that the
knowledge is being accumulated in my brain.

One positive nature of Russian spelling would be that it is quite systematic, if one
follows strictly its rules, I would say, in my novice opinion, that 70% or so could be
mastered thus.

It is complex in comparison with Japanese :)
What is complex in it and what rules have you understood?

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5359 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 5 of 37
08 June 2011 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
I think the Russian orthography is quite straightforward. I never encountered major problems with it; compared with English, Irish or Danish spelling it is a piece of cake.
Of course you write the occasional а or и for an unstressed о or е. Also the soft sign is sometimes hard to remember. Why do you write семь but семнадцать with the first ь missing? And what function has the ь in семья, the м is soft anyway by the я. So I would write instead of почтальон *почталён.

If I were able to impose any change, I would reintroduce the ё as the obligatory spelling.

And for fun I would revive the ѳ for words of Greek origin like ариѳметика, because I like ancient Greek so much ;-)

Problems like жареный or жаренный are only for advanced learners who do not care any more of learning some additional intricacies.

So don't worry, all is right in the realm of orthography in Russia, and I think it was a foolish thought, wenn Lenin projected the latinisation of Russian as a великая революция на Востоке.

Edited by Cabaire on 08 June 2011 at 8:21pm

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4806 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 

Message 6 of 37
08 June 2011 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:
Also the soft sign is sometimes hard to remember.

True for native speakers too - between all the prefixes, adjective suffixes, verb endings, etc there are plenty of opportunities to forget it :)

Cabaire wrote:
Why do you write семь but семнадцать with the first ь missing? And what function has the ь in семья, the м is soft anyway by the я. So I would write instead of почтальон *почталён.

Compare sounds of всем, совсем, семнадцать vs семь.
The function of ь in семья is the pause introduced by ь, listen and compare семя vs семья. Observe the same divisive effect in почтальон (почтальён same sound but incorrect spelling) vs почталён.

Cabaire wrote:
If I were able to impose any change, I would reintroduce the ё as the obligatory spelling. And for fun I would revive the ѳ for words of Greek origin like ариѳметика, because I like ancient Greek so much ;-)

I've read theories by linguists that venture that the ё letter might vanish in a few hundred years, if not decades. I guess not in the least part because it's placed all the way in the corner on the keyboard.
That is unless we just replace everything by Greek letters first :)

3 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4816 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 7 of 37
08 June 2011 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Вы чего, совсем с приветом, оба предыдущих?
Какая ещё пауза? Между "м" и "а" в слове "семья" есть звук "j" /с'им'ja/.
Извините за грубость: не стерпел. Модераторы, простите меня.

Edited by Марк on 08 June 2011 at 9:59pm

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4806 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 

Message 8 of 37
08 June 2011 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Марк: Your terminology is confusing to me.
0) Are you trying to break я into йа? If so what's the spelling of я?
1) What exactly is j sound in Russian: й, ж, я, or something else?
2) What exactly is ' in your notation, is it the pause that I was describing, or is it ь, or is it some kind of sound, or are you trying to use it to describe syllables?
3) In your understanding and using your spelling terminology, what then is the difference between мя and мья; мая and майя; cэ, съе, се and сье, as far as it pertains to Russian.

P.S. Мне ещё в детстве мартышка передала привет, с тех пор так и хожу - с приветом, и ни на кого не обижаюсь. Так-что, милости просим выражайтесь смело.
I feel like I might be hijacking the thread, but then again, maybe not.

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version