Iran
shahramenglish.com
Joined 4713 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Persian*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 11
29 May 2011 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Try "Teach yourself Beginner's Russian" book. This is what I am following and is quiet easy and interesting.
1 person has voted this message useful

unityandoutside
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5799 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin, Mandarin

Message 10 of 11
06 June 2011 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
I strongly second the recommendation of the penguin course. With some kind of
additional material for listening practice of course (I got started with this book,
supplemented by listening to Russian radio from the BBC world service). But the penguin
course gives clear, no-nonsense grammatical explanations that are extremely helpful
with a language like Russian and decidedly out of vogue in conversationally-structured
courses that dominate todays language learning market. And despite its compact size, it
is very thorough. Having worked through that book, you'll have an understanding of all
the essential parts of Russian grammar. In my more than two years of daily Russian
reading since I finished that book, I can only think of two grammatical constructions
that weren't covered by that book.

If you really want a full course that integrates audio and text, I've
been impressed with what I've seen of the Living Language Ultimate Russian course. This
is a bit more colloquial, and looks pretty thorough as well, a very strong course, but
it is not quite as elegantly structured as the penguin course.

Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck in learning this fascinating language!

Edited by unityandoutside on 06 June 2011 at 5:45am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4841 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 11 of 11
13 June 2011 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
New Penguin Russian course is a good book, but the chapter about Russian pronunciation is
totally wrong.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version