Tetraglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5691 days ago

89 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 5
17 May 2011 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
I just got word that my telephone interview in two days will be in French. Apparently,
because I'm applying for a job in a government run service centre, they really need
more bilingual people.

At the end of my time spent in Switzerland, I had quite advanced fluency; I haven't,
however, had the chance to use my French much since returning to Canada (about 1.5
years ago), though I do write in French to my friends in Switzerland fairly often and
I've had some conversations in French with Quebecers here and there.

I'm writing here because I am looking for advice on all I can do (in the short time I
have) to prepare myself for the (telephone) interview. I thought of skyping some Swiss
friends, but due to the time difference and little time I have, that might not be
possible. I've thought of listening to Swiss radio intensively (although Canadian
French might be more useful to hear) and speaking to myself out loud to practice
possible answers.

Any other thoughts? I'd really appreciate the input :)

Edited by arbigelow on 17 May 2011 at 3:35am

1 person has voted this message useful

exscribere
Diglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5088 days ago

104 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Danish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Korean, Hindi

Message 2 of 5
17 May 2011 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
I'd get ahold of a Michel Thomas course one way or another -- they can be very useful to refresh some of the similarities. Definitely listen to the radio, watch any Quebecois TV you can, and try to re-energize that bit of your brain that remembers things, and reawaken the pathways for similarities with English & French. Poke at an Assimil course too, if you can find one... otherwise I definitely suggest TV, radio, podcasts, etc.!

And GOOD LUCK!

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6125 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 3 of 5
17 May 2011 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Actually, I'd suggest avoiding courses like Michel Thomas and Assimil: it seems you're much too advanced for that. What you could do is find a conversation tutor, pay him/her, get two if possible, and speak regularly for an hour or two a day. That should get you back in the zone.

exscribere
Diglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5088 days ago

104 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Danish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Korean, Hindi

Message 4 of 5
17 May 2011 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:
Actually, I'd suggest avoiding courses like Michel Thomas and Assimil: it seems you're much too advanced for that. What you could do is find a conversation tutor, pay him/her, get two if possible, and speak regularly for an hour or two a day. That should get you back in the zone.

I suggest those because the timing is so short a turn-around (2 days from the OP's post). THe OP does seem advanced, but if you're pinched on time but have a library with access to them, the more advanced lessons may help kickstart some things back in gear.

arbigelow
Tetraglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5691 days ago

89 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1, German, Spanish

Message 5 of 5
17 May 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the help and good wishes guys!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version