Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Advices regarding traditional chinese ch.

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
Luk
Triglot
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 5144 days ago

91 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian, German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 1 of 5
17 May 2011 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone. I am at the beginning of my studies of Chinese (it's going to be a long road!) and I have a very specific problem: the book I like the most to learn how to write Chinese characters only teaches simplified characters.

Since I would like to learn the traditionals too, I thought about something like http://www.chinese-tools.com/ that gives you the chance not only to see them, but that shows you how to write them.

Does such tool exist?

For those who have already learnt the traditional ones, how did you do it?

Edited by Luk on 17 May 2011 at 3:12am

1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6188 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 5
17 May 2011 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
I use DeFrancis's readers. They use traditional characters and audio is available. You can combine that with Reading & Writing Chinese: Traditional Character Edition, which provides stroke order.

There must be some websites that provide stroke order for traditional characters, but I don't use online tools much. Maybe someone else can suggest some.

Edited by newyorkeric on 17 May 2011 at 5:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6391 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 3 of 5
17 May 2011 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
If you have a smartphone or a pad, there are plenty of apps that show stroke order. I'm sure there are websites, too, but I mostly use apps. May favorite is Pleco.

As to how I learned traditional characters, I learned them after getting comfortable with the simplified, so I just grabbed a book with trads and an electronic dictionary and started reading. And then I started learning Cantonese and writing Canto text messages to my girlfriend in Cantonese, which forced me to learn how to write them (since writing Cantonese with pinyin doesn't work very well), using the handwriting input on my smartphone.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hierbabuena
Spain
Joined 4837 days ago

19 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: Spanish*
Studies: EnglishB2, Mandarin

Message 4 of 5
17 May 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php

This dictionary shows you the stroke order for traditional and simplified characters. I'm
a beginner learner too and this is the best dictionary I have found online (and free).

Edited by Hierbabuena on 17 May 2011 at 3:26pm

Luk
Triglot
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 5144 days ago

91 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian, German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 5 of 5
17 May 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Wow, excellent recommendations! Thanks a lot!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version