Joined 5769 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 9 of 11
17 May 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
xiongshi7 wrote:

How long did it take you to be able to read a Japanese newspaper? TY

I made my first feeble attempts about a year after I had begun studying Japanese, and it
took about another two years or so before I was able to read newspapers comfortably. So
about 3 years in total. I studied rather intensively (two or three hours almost every day
for two years) so it might take longer if you don't spend as much time on it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Li Fei
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4932 days ago

147 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 11
18 May 2011 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
Outcast, I can speak to the "should I take classes" question. Having just finished two semesters of college
Mandarin, I can say that it was a very worthwhile experience. During my first semester, we had a fairly big class
(maybe twelve people) and some were not motivated, so it moved at a very slow pace. But it was enough to
introduce me to a lot of resources, help me learn some basics of character writing and pronunciation, and go
through the first half of a textbook (Integrated Chinese). With such a different and difficult language, I needed
that slow start, and it was a confidence builder that I could do fine in the class.

The second semester was much more intense, as the slackers had dropped out. Four students and a teacher who
focused intensely on tones and speaking and pronunciation. This is something I couldn't have gotten through
self-study and it was very helpful and very challenging.

At the same time, classes never do move at quite the right pace, and it's crucial to do self-study too, so I'm glad
you are planning on that. I did, and am still doing, Pimsleur, plus some other side studies. I've elected to focus
first on speaking, reading, and listening, and to forgo really learning to write characters. My first goal is polite
speaking and listening with native speakers, and that's a challenging enough goal that I don't feel I can learn to
write at the same time. But reading and recognizing characters is a thrill, and so I'm working on that as much as
possible.

Good luck with your five-year project. That time frame seems about right to me, though you may go faster with
all your language-learning experience and skills.

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4758 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 11 of 11
18 May 2011 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
I appreciate all the tips. I think I will start with some self-study in the summer, mostly pronounciation and the very basic phrases. Then in the fall, I'll attend a class and continue my self study. Basically my goal would be to ''review'' stuff by taking the class, and hopefully get a native person's pronounciation.

As I go through and finish the class, depending on my progress, I will take the next level class if I liked the experience, or review if I feel I am not reading to move on.

Once I am I will just get the next level book and so forth.

Finally, I have been thinking about the writing part: I eventually someday would like to have that ability, but I agree with most of you that listenting and speaking is first, then reading, then writing. So writing would come last, but that said, I might be useful if I simply ''practice'' writing Chinese characters even if I have not a clue of what they mean, just for the actual writing ability. My thought process is, when I have gotten the basics of or Mandarin vocabulary, pronounciation, tones and grammar, I can begin learing the characters and writing them.

And when that happens, to have at least the skill to write characters would be a major advantage.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version