Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6248 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 1 of 2
14 May 2011 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
In a few weeks, I'll be Animateur as a three-week German immersion course for Irish students. The course is entirely through German, and most of the staff (teachers and animateurs) will be German. I want to get the most out of this, and get my German for a basic proficiency (I'm probably a B1 bordering on B2, but I haven't really done anything with German for a year) to as good and as natural as possible. So in about a week, I'll be on holidays and I'll have about a month or more to devote to getting myself ready. I'm looking for suggestions as to how I could spend this time efficiently, to get the most out of this opportunity.

Actually doing the course isn't a problem for me, I have attended it as a student, and I know that I can live my basic life in German, so what I really want to focus on is broadening my vocabulary, idioms and such, so that I'll be able to take advantage of all the native speakers. What I have in mind at the moment is pretty simple, firstly, I watch Notruf Hafenkante as is it, so I'll continue to watch some of that. I watch that for enjoyment, so I don't spend much time learning new words except what I pick up passivly. I'm a great fan of Don Camillo, so I'm going to watch those movies in German, which I'm looking forward to, and again, that will probably be passive. For more active pursuits, I have a few books (Das Parfüm's top of the list, because I've the audio book too) which I intend to go through in detail, probably doing as I've done before, reading about a chapter, going back over it picking out words and expressions I don't recognise, and then possibly reading it again. And since I have the audio, I'll probably listen to it a few times too.

So my question pretty much is, is this an effective use of my time, or does anyone have other possible suggestions for getting as much exposure to German as possible over a few weeks?
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5035 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 2 of 2
19 May 2011 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
The answer should be pretty simple: what's there in an immersion environment that makes it different for you? The omnipresence of real, live native speakers. So you ought to interact with them as much as possible, and leave everything you can do on your own for the pre- and post- periods, or the moments when you're actually alone while there.

Edited by mrwarper on 19 May 2011 at 10:01pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version