United States
dannylsmall.com/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4752 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 7
14 May 2011 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
Hey everyone, I'm a new member taking up German for the second (and hopefully) the last time. So far,
I've got a pretty decent grasp on pronunciation, but that's about the extent of my knowledge now. Most
of the vocabulary and grammar I learned years ago has been lost due to neglect.

I've got the FSI material and I own a workbook (Learn German The Fast and Fun Way, by Paul Graves)
that I plan on moving through at the same time. But, what I really want to know is if it's wise to
download public domain eBooks and audio books of authors like Goethe and Schiller. Is out-dated
material from the 19th century just going to throw me off and confuse me? Or is it worth checking out?

And if I'm on the wrong track entirely, what's a good approach for a beginner German student?
1 person has voted this message useful

Lehrling
United States
Joined 4752 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 3 of 7
14 May 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Very cool. That gives me a good place to start. I'd gather that'd be much easier to follow too than attempt to pick
apart 19th century German literature, lol.

Big help, much appreciated.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5129 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 4 of 7
14 May 2011 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
There are tons of free German audiobooks available. See the following threads:

German podcasts with manuscripts
Decent German Podcasts

Lehrling
United States
Joined 4752 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 5 of 7
14 May 2011 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
I actually downloaded a German podcast last night, but it didn't include the transcript so I was out of luck. So, that's
perfect. Thanks, I'll check those out right away.

jerzy.rohan
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5187 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English

Message 6 of 7
15 May 2011 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
I tried freely available audiobooks and I did not like them. Then I bought Siddhartha read by Ulrich Matthes http://www.amazon.de/Siddhartha-indische-Dichtung-Hermann-He sse/dp/3867172978/ref=sr_1_5 and I love it. The book is great and the voice of a professional actor contributes a lot to the pleasure of listening to it. Interestingly, I found understanding the audiobook easier than reading the text.

Here are some other things that may be useful for you:
- Podcasts: Schlaflos in Muenchen (for native speakers, but spoken very clearly), Slow German (for beginners, with transcript), Tonspur Forschung (about research at the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet), all by the same author: http://www.schlaflosinmuenchen.com/
- I have not used FSI much, but I believe it is a very good resource. Check the Programmed Introduction as well, I like their approach a lot.
- German TV is really good. ZDF and ARD (German public TV channels) have so called Mediatheken on their websites. They let you watch German TV programs online, but I do not know if they are available outside Germany. Two other good channels are Arte (available both in German and French) and Phoenix.

Lehrling
United States
Joined 4752 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 7 of 7
15 May 2011 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Thanks, jerzy. Those are all really good suggestions. I will check into finding those German television stations.
Having a continuous stream of new media - especially if there's news and current events on them - would be
really beneficial.

Cheers!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version