Diglot
Spain
Joined 4769 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: French

Message 1 of 4
11 May 2011 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
This is my first post so i thought about introducing myself. But honestly, i don't really see the point unless
someone is truly interested about it.

I want to ask you whether is it normal to be afraid of losing a second language, in my case, it's English. Now i'm
studying in an Spanish university doing English philology (i'm a native spaniard so i suppose it's natural to study
in Spain).
However, i've been recently feeling many doubts about my English and i'm afraid to make small yet important
errors in grammar and orthography matters, and let's not go into vocabulary because i dread when i find a
formerly-unknown word that's considered to be of common use and i didn't knew about it until then.

So....is it normal to have these doubts? Can you truly lose fluency on a language when you don't use it as much?
any advice would be appreciated over how to avoid losing fluency, i already play games in English, read books in
english, watch movies and i talk with friends coming from Erasmus (science bless them ;)   

Thank you for any replies.
(Feel free to point out any mistakes you see in this text)
Here are two examples= Be Free or Feel Free?
                                                             =An or A Spanish university?
Or am i just being paranoid? Now that i think about it perhaps i'm overanalyzing things but i rather get to know
your opinion.

Edited by miguel-12345 on 11 May 2011 at 11:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4790 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 3 of 4
12 May 2011 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
'Feel free' is correct and it is 'a Spanish university'.

Of course we can lose fluency in a language if we do not take active steps to maintain
it. It does not mean that we lose it completely, but we do start to forget those words
that turn basic fluency into advanced fluency. It's normal to have these doubts, yes, I'm
sure most of the board shares your concerns! But if you're studying English and using
English often then you have no problem whatsoever, ok? You write well, avoiding the
normal mistakes Spaniards make; my Spanish is far worse =)

miguel-12345
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4769 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: French

Message 4 of 4
13 May 2011 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your support, maybe i just had a panic attack (probably caused by a french teacher who just won't
give me a passing grade, regardless of being a A1 class and having passed a standard level IB french exam, kind of
scary the thought of losing a language). Thanks a lot Alex :D

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version