Joined 6464 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 41 of 70
28 May 2011 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
steveboi wrote:
Can someone recommend good MANDARIN listening resources?

I know podcasts abound, but the beginner ones are full of English interruptions. I'm searching for conversations or
interviews that just go on and on.

thanks!

stevie campbell

Look at this:

http://tv.sohu.com/

1 person has voted this message useful

steveboi
Canada
oneyearmandarin
Joined 4724 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 42 of 70
28 May 2011 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much, I hadnt seen SOHU before. I'll definitely keep checking that out.

But what I'm really looking for is DOWNLOADS, 20+minute long talk, news, interviews, that I can play while I
drive, exercise, or work. To get a feel for the rhythm and intonation of the language.

The ideal would be a SLOWLY SPOKEN MANDARIN conversation podcast or something like that. But non-learner
oriented material would be good as well.

I can google more, but if anyone has specific recommendations, please post.

cheers,

stevie campbell,
canada

leosmith
United States
Joined 6339 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 43 of 70
28 May 2011 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
You might be better off with intermediate Mandarin learner type podcasts than news podcasts. The pure
Mandarin ones that I like are
imandarinpod
CSL
pod

My favorite overall has some English at the lower levels
Chinese learn online

If you don't mind a US twist on the news,
VOA Mandarin

I personally hate Chinespod, for reasons I won't bore you with, except for the fact that they use way too
much English. For the complete beginner
though, they are quite useful. It's worth it to go through their beginner series to suck up all the vocab, but I
wouldn't count that as "normal" listening.

And I know your looking for stuff you can use on the run, but you might occasionally settle down and watch a
drama with subtitles.
D Addicts

FamusBluRaincot
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5350 days ago

50 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 44 of 70
28 May 2011 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
http://learning.chinese.cn/en/

kmart
Australia
Joined 5913 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 45 of 70
28 May 2011 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
kmart wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
kmart wrote:
I don't think that's a given for everybody. For some people, seeing the written word, where the pronunciation rules are different to their native language, impairs their pronunciation abilities. They "see" the word in their head and keep trying to pronounce it with their native language rules.

This is the danger, yes. But...
Quote:
If they had only heard the language, but had not seen it written down, they wouldn't have a written picture, and would have to go on the sound alone, and thus their pronunciation would be better.

Not necessarily.

That's why I said "some people" - I just think there can be some advantages, especially for first-time language learners, in not having too much reliance on the written word for pronunciation.

Yes, but that's mere speculation.

Fact 1) Some people read things off paper and pronounce them like their first language.
Fact 2) Some people listen to things on tapes and pronounce them like their first language.

Now we have no proof that these are two distinct groups. The theory of learner styles would say that they are, but the theory of learner styles isn't supported by any good science.

Phonemics and phonemic awareness are established, recognised and well-studied with the field of linguistics and psycho-linguistics.

It therefore seems far more rational to me to assume that the biggest contribution to these learners' problems is a lack of phonemic awareness, regardless of "channels".

I agree we are both making assumptions here, but how about this example...

A learner studying Italian in written form, may easily make the error of pronouncing the present tense conjugation of "avere" with an "h" sound at the beginning, as they read "ho, hai, ha" etc (in fact I know a woman who does just this, several years after she commenced studying - she does usually correct herself, but she can't seem to shake her instinctive initial error).

But a learner listening to audio, without any written reference, would never pronounce the incorrect "h" because they don't know it's there. They may, in fact, spell it incorrectly, because the initial impression they had of the word did NOT contain an "h" (again, I know someone who intially learned by audio only, and she does have this spelling problem (but I don't do it very often)). ;-)

Now we can't say definitively whether or not Learner 2 would mispronounce "ho" if she had been exposed to it initially in written form. But I think I can confidently say that Learner 1 wouldn't have put an "h" at the beginning if she had learned only by audio.

And another person I know recently commenced using Pimsleur - every week she has coffee with me and demonstrates what she's learned. Her pronunciation isn't very good, but she's comprehensible. Then she insists I write down the phrases for her, because she has "a visual learning style". I have argued with her about this, but she insists she cannot learn by listening, she needs to see the words written down. When she comes back the next week, the words she could somewhat pronounce the week before have become rubbish.

Not scientific evidence, I realise. Just some observations I have made.
4 persons have voted this message useful

steveboi
Canada
oneyearmandarin
Joined 4724 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 46 of 70
30 May 2011 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
You might be better off with intermediate Mandarin learner type podcasts than news
podcasts. The pure
Mandarin ones that I like are
imandarinpod
CSL
pod

My favorite overall has some English at the lower levels
Chinese learn online

If you don't mind a US twist on the news,
VOA Mandarin

I personally hate Chinespod, for reasons I won't bore you with, except for the fact that they use way too
much English. For the complete beginner
though, they are quite useful. It's worth it to go through their beginner series to suck up all the vocab, but I
wouldn't count that as "normal" listening.

And I know your looking for stuff you can use on the run, but you might occasionally settle down and watch a
drama with subtitles.
D Addicts

thank you Leo, that is a lot to get me started.

but please, Im curious, why dont you like chinese pod? Ive been listening to a few of them and, as far as I can say,
they are great. for entertainment purposes that is. Im a chinese rookie but they are clearly not useful for actually
learning and retaining new info. at least not at the beginner levels. that said, they are entertaining....

whats your take?

leosmith
United States
Joined 6339 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 47 of 70
30 May 2011 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
See post 75 of
this
thread. I was severely criticized and made to pay for my comments later in the thread and elsewhere on that forum. The elders do not favor me because of
this, and that's why I don't spend much time over there any more. So I'm giving you a link, rather than reposting. If anyone wants to comment, please do it
over there.

steveboi
Canada
oneyearmandarin
Joined 4724 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 48 of 70
30 May 2011 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
See post 75 of
work/">this
thread. I was severely criticized and made to pay for my comments later in the thread and elsewhere on that
forum. The elders do not favor me because of
this, and that's why I don't spend much time over there any more. So I'm giving you a link, rather than reposting.
If anyone wants to comment, please do it
over there.

I dont know leo, I read to the end and I didnt see much critique aimed at yours points. they seemed more
concerned with the John host debate.

my two cents: everything you said was perfectly sensible and clearly based on having fairly tried them out.
forums can get weird. nothing new about that.

Im going to listen to the occaisonal cpod just to give it a fair shake, see what all the hype is about. but right
now--im 20 days into mandarin study--im mostly sticking to michel thomas and pimsleur. I find they
complement eachother nicely. the MT host is easy to listen too, calming. its slower paced than pimsleur, less
robotic, less intense, and full of detailed explanations of the basic grammar. pimsleur is more packed with info
and harder to listen to for more than one lesson a day. they are a good mix.

but they both require active engagement. sometimes, after an hour of one or the other, i just want to hear some
mandarin without the lesson aspect, thus my search for talk.

I'm going to try the podcast you mentioned, and also the other responses. but IM still searching for some non-
student oriented talk.

the equivaelnt of a CBC or NPR social programs, news show, interview show, but in standard mandarin. i know
thats probably out there in many forms, but its likely posted in mandarin and thus hard to find searching in
english.

-stevie

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version