Desertbandit
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4909 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Iraqi)*

Message 1 of 9
07 May 2011 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Im currently studying Japanese and I just can't get around it to get fluent fast Ill have to learn Kanji (and I know how )

BUT but but there is one but to this.

If I invest allot of time into Kanji it would automaticly mean that all my other skills that I have developed in Japanse would fall behind or get weaker .

My time a day for language learning is limited so I need to make up a balance but simply said how do I do that ?

1 person has voted this message useful

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5614 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 9
08 May 2011 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Not necessarily. If you study kanji while practicing reading it will build vocabulary at
the same time.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 3 of 9
08 May 2011 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure I understand your question exactly, but I see no reason to separate kanji from regular learning.
Whenever a new word comes up, learn the kanji. Whenever you read a kanji you don't know, look it up. But
when you are speaking, never mind the fact that you don't know the kanji; it doesn't matter.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5575 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 9
08 May 2011 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Are you by any chance taking university classes? If not, don't worry. It'll come together in due time. I don't think learning all the jouyou kanji up front is a good idea for most learners (for some it may be, yes), because basically it means filling them with artificial meaning and sound.

Learning kanji in context tends to make you find your balance - when you have to use furigana, read a word incorrectly or have to look up kanji or words even though they seem very familiar, it's time for some reading drills. When you can read the words in a sentence just fine, but struggle to make sense of it, it's time for more grammar practice. (It could also mean that the material uses too few kanji to be taken seriously in that regard.) When you write by hand and the sheet has only a few scattered kanji on it, you know you need to spend more time on writing from memory.

szastprast, of course one can be illiterate and perfectly fluent in the spoken language. It's just that if the language is written, it usually is easier to learn the written form and from it.

Edited by Bao on 08 May 2011 at 4:48pm

Desertbandit
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4909 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Iraqi)*

Message 6 of 9
08 May 2011 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
You guys, I can hold up basic conversations and understand Dramas and Anime quite well without subtiltes in Japanese, and I know hiragana so I can read a bit .

I just don't really know any Kanji and to catch up im planning one hardcore period to just do Kanji non stop , so that I can try to read japanese texts and sentences eventually .

My Theory is

You learn by reading , but to read you need to know the alphabet .

Because my daily time is limited I wanted to learn the Kanji as fast as I can even if I have to sacrefice some of my other developed skills for that, my problem is Im not sure wether thats so smart....

I hope this cleared up my kind of vague first post.

Also I do not follow a college class its all selfstudy baby .

Edited by Desertbandit on 08 May 2011 at 7:39pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 8 of 9
09 May 2011 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
If you already understand dramas "quite well without subtitles", then you are already an advanced student. I suppose reading whatever interests you would expose you to most of the common kanji -- kanji for words you probably already know.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version