United States
Joined 4784 days ago

32 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 9
05 May 2011 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone!

I love reading poetry in English, and am starting to get curious about reading poetry in Spanish as part of my Spanish language study. Are there any can't miss Spanish language poets?

Also, are there any poets that might be better for a beginner to start out with?

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

Ygangerg
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5078 days ago

100 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French
Studies: German

Message 3 of 9
01 July 2011 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Jorge Luis Borges is great. He's most famous for his short stories, but his poetry is good. He was from Argentina
and has been one of the most influential Latin American writers. He's really into labyrinths.

If you'd like something from European Spanish as well, Federico Garcia Lorca was a very entertaining and deep poet
and playwright from Andalucía. He is in good company as one of the most celebrated cultural figures of Spain.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 4 of 9
02 July 2011 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
Gabriel García Márquez called Pablo Neruda "the greatest poet of the 20th century in any language". His poetry still speaks to today's generation. His poetry varies from love, to odes, to social commentary. I challenge anyone to read "Explico algunas cosas" and not be moved. From the Spanish Civil War to "The Heights of Machu Pichu", his voice resonates. His command of the language is so adroit.

I read his book of memoirs "Confieso que he vivido" in Spanish and have never been so moved whilst reading prose before. His prose reads like poetry. This is my favorite book in Spanish. I couldn't put it down. He led a most extraordinary life. "El cartero de Neruda" by Antonio Skármeta of Chile is a wonderful portrait of the poet. This was the inspiration for the film "Il Postino".

Yeah, Don Pablo was more than a little gaga over communism, but what intellectual (besides Borges) in his heyday wasn't? Who could blame him, he saw so much injustice in the world, in his native Chile, in Burma, the Spanish Civil War and ultimately the CIA supported coup d'etat against Salvador Allende that led to over 20 years of the Pinochet dictatorship.

Neruda is my favorite Spanish poet and, I agree with Gabo- he is my favorite poet.

As Ygangerg concurs, I also am quite fond of Federico García Lorca's poetry. His poetry captures the soul of Spain.

If you take the opportunity to read these two great poets you will not regret it. Explico algunas cosas

Edited by iguanamon on 02 July 2011 at 1:48am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Hexaglot
Luxembourg
christineschmit.com
Joined 5429 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, ItalianC1
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Indonesian

Message 5 of 9
02 July 2011 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
Totally agree with the comment about Pablo Neruda above. He's my favorite poet too, in any language.
Others I like a lot are Mario Benedetti and Gabriela Mistral.

Mork the Fiddle
United States
Joined 3729 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 
Studies: Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 6 of 9
22 May 2015 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Two other favorites of mine are Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer and Rubén Darío. Both lived in the 19th century. The best known poetry of Bécquer is called Rimas. Darío is well known in Spanish literature for several works. Gutenberg has some of their work in the Spanish original.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5135 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 7 of 9
22 May 2015 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
I agree with what has already been written and must add that the bilingual Borges book of poems is a wonderful language learning tool if you like this sort of stuff.
2 persons have voted this message useful

obsculta
United States
Joined 5580 days ago

36 posts - 83 votes 

Message 8 of 9
22 May 2015 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
The great cantautor Joan Manuel Serrat has recorded musical versions of many famous
Spanish poems by Miguel Hernandez, Antonio Machado, Luis Garcia Montero and many others.
His songs might not be a bad place for a beginner to start.

Here he is singing Hernandez's Hijo de
la luz y de la sombra.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version