Diglot
Germany
Joined 5369 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 1 of 4
02 May 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
All this rcent talk of dancing monkeys gave me the urge to upload an mp3 of me reading a bit of french.

Le voila

Ok, it's something I've been meaning to do for a while, and I was just reading a book and thought I might as well record a bit. I know it's pretty bad, I actually had to snip a few bits out with Audacity, that I literally couldn't understand myself, plus a bit of other tidying up.

I realise the main thing I need to work on is "everything", but any more specific criticism is welcome. (I am travelling in a couple of days, and won't have any internet for a while, so I apologise if I can't reply to anything immediately).

In my defence, I just did this of the spur of the moment and I haven't spoken or used (much) French for years. From reading this forum, I know I need do some chorussing to work on improving my accent, but I've not got round to it so far. Anyway, I think it's good to have a "before" version recorded, so I will be able to see how much better I am in a couple of years time.

I apologise to those francophones who are sensitive to hearing their language mangled.

Merci d'avance.
1 person has voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5369 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 

Message 2 of 4
03 May 2011 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
I listened again last night, and there were a couple more bits that even I couldn't understand. I realise now I should have used something more straightforward, (and with audio) like some Assimil phrases. Next time.

If you want to say anything that you feel isn't fit to be published on a family forum, feel free to PM me. Here's the text. As I said, it just sort of grabbed me, and I felt like reading it:

Je te déteste.

Ta voix ne tremble pas.

Tout le monde répond "Amen" comme si on était à la messe. Les gens se signent, certains ploient même les genoux. Et puis tout le monde esquive.

Le soir même, à la fin de notre prières tu diras "Avant de fermer les yeux, et de vous endormir, ayez une pensée pour votre frère Fabien, qui Le Seigneur dans sa grande bonté à rappellé à lui. Pour M. Carrère, qui va bientôt nous quitter, ainsi que nos frères et soeurs de souffrances. Que votre rire se change en deuil, et votre joix en tristesse."

Maman est blanche à faire peur. Ma soeur lui propose de monter dans sa chambre. Maman secoue la tête, elle répond d'une voix détimbrée: "Je dormirai en bas."
Tu fronces les sourcils: "Allons, c'est ridicule, dormir en bas. Il n'est plus là."
Tu fais un signe à Anne-Marie. Tu ordonnes: "Accompagne ta mère."
Maman te regarde et répète: "Je dormirai en bas."

Et j'assiste, nous assistons, à ta première défaite. Ton visage s'enferme. Ton regard se durcit. Mais maman te tient tête, sans haine, sans colère. La douleur a fait d'elle un marbre, lisse et froid. Plus rien ne peut l'atteindre, la toucher. Elle n'est plus qu'une ombre sans objet.

J'apprendrerai dans les jours, les mois, qui suivront, que rien ne vient combler certaines failles. Le deuil est une lente érosion, une succession de fractures, comme un éboulement à l'intérieure de soi, qui dure.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 03 May 2011 at 4:28pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 3 of 4
04 May 2011 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
It's generally quite good, but it's hard to actually make comments or recommendations because you are almost whispering for most of the recording. If you decide to do it again, please speak clearly and outloud; then I will try to comment.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5369 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 

Message 4 of 4
05 May 2011 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Arekkusu. I always forget not to whisper. It's funny how you can not notice things like that yourself.

Part of my current therapy (self prescribed) is to accept and acknowledge that my French accent (in particular) is actually pretty bad, and to not let it worry me. It is important to try to improve it though.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version