SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 25
03 May 2011 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
It seems to be a common thought that Swedish is a quick language. We do tend to reduce many sounds (but French has to be worse in that aspect, I think). Consonants disappear, verb endings change... "Lazy" pronunciation is one of the keys to sounding Swedish.

In all dialects north of the r-border (where the throat-r isn't in use anymore), there are 'supradental' (or 'retroflex') sounds. Dentals consonants are d, n, t, l s ("DeNTaLS"!) and thus rd, rn, rt, rl and rs are prpnounced roughly as in American English (e.g. hard, burn, heart, curl och harsh). More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroflex_consonant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroflex_consonant
1 person has voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6125 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 10 of 25
03 May 2011 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
One of the biggest problems I have with Swedish is the tonal words. Is there any way of knowing which words are differentiated by tone? Is there a list somewhere I can consult?

Akao
aka FailArtist
United States
Joined 5145 days ago

315 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Toki Pona

Message 11 of 25
03 May 2011 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:
One of the biggest problems I have with Swedish is the tonal words.
Is there any way of knowing which words are differentiated by tone? Is there a list
somewhere I can consult?

Linguistically there actually aren't many tone-changing words (to my limited
knowledge of swedish). There are still hundreds (or thousands) I imagine but I haven't
come across many yet and I hear natives saying there aren't many.

Edited by Akao on 03 May 2011 at 4:16am

Akao
aka FailArtist
United States
Joined 5145 days ago

315 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Toki Pona

Message 12 of 25
03 May 2011 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
Sorry double post.

Edited by Akao on 03 May 2011 at 4:15am

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6391 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 13 of 25
03 May 2011 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
thus rd, rn, rt, rl and rs are prpnounced roughly as in American English (e.g. hard, burn, heart, curl och harsh).

While this is roughly true, the Swedish 'rd', 'rn' and so on are all single sounds, whilst the American 'rd', 'rn' and so on are combination of two sounds. So do listen to and mimic the pronunciation yourselves!

Akao wrote:
Linguistically there actually aren't many tone-changing words (to my limited knowledge of swedish). There are still hundreds (or thousands) I imagine but I haven't come across many yet and I hear natives saying there aren't many.

While it's true that there aren't many word pairs that are distinguished solely by tone, if you get the tone wrong on any word you'll sound weird. So pronouncing "lasso" as "las4 so4"*) will sound weird (it should be "las3 so4"), but so will pronouncing "lycka" (happiness) as "lyc3 ka4" (it should be "lyc4 ka4"). So you'll still need to pay attention to the tones of regular words, and this is not indicated in the spelling, just like word stress isn't.

And it gets even worse when you get to family names. For some reason, Astrid Lindgren's last name is pronounced "Lind3 gren4", but Fredrik Lindström's (Swedish linguist and comedian) is "Lind4 ström4".

However, take solace in the fact that there only seems to be two variants: those beginning with third tone and those beginning with 4th. There are no words, I believe, beginning with any other tones, and once you get the first tone right, the others are predictable (though they depend on the number of other factors).

* Using Mandarin tone markings. 1st: high level, 2nd: rising, 3rd: falling-rising, 4th: falling.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 25
03 May 2011 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
Don't worry. We have the same thing in Norwegian, and even if I agree with Ari that it is nice to get it right, I would not fret over it. If you get the rest right,this is ust the icing on the cake :-)

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5369 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 15 of 25
03 May 2011 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
The Assimil Swedish course begins with a quite substantial audio introduction to the pronounciation, which is pretty unusual (AFAIK), so presumably it is considered more difficult than average.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6468 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 16 of 25
03 May 2011 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:
One of the biggest problems I have with Swedish is the tonal words. Is there any way of
knowing which words are differentiated by tone? Is there a list somewhere I can consult?

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_över_svenska_ordaccentss kilda_minimala_par list of minimal pairs differented
only by tone.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version