zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5153 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 4
29 April 2011 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm having a little difficult with this sound. I think I can do the sound (I'll post a
sound sample later and see what you guys think of it). But the major problem is when I
try to actually use it in words like hello or sister. I just can't seem to make at all
unlike when I do it by itself. Is there something I'm doing wrong to cause this?
1 person has voted this message useful

Mauritz
Octoglot
Sweden
Joined 4877 days ago

223 posts - 325 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Old English, Yiddish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean, Portuguese, Welsh, Icelandic, Afrikaans

Message 2 of 4
29 April 2011 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
I have this problem as well, because the sound is not present in my dialect of Swedish.
This has caused me problems in Russian, Spanish, Italian etc and even Standard Swedish!
My best tip is to just continue practicing it until you get it. It's harder to use it in
a word (especially in Russian words!) than by itself, but you will succeed eventually.

tbone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4800 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 3 of 4
29 April 2011 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Now I get it. When you wrote 'P', you were writing in Cyrillic, right?

In this article
http://www.fluentin3months.com/getting-rid-of-your-english-a ccent/

Benny pointed to an article with a slew of techniques for getting the (in my case, Spanish) 'r' down:

http://www.wikihow.com/Roll-Your-%22R%22s

clang
Groupie
United States
Joined 5148 days ago

54 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 4 of 4
29 April 2011 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
The p-d-d-d-ince of pe-d-d-d-rsia. The p-d-d-d-ince of pe-d-d-d-rsia. The p-d-d-d-ince of pe-d-d-d-rsia.

I walked to Russian class repeating this over and over and over again. Thinking of the "р" as multiple fast d's
was the way I learned to stick the rolled r into words!

Edited by clang on 29 April 2011 at 7:23pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version