United States
amoondisaster.w
Joined 4770 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, Turkmen

Message 1 of 5
26 April 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
OK, so I've recently decided I want to start learning French again, because my
girlfriend is French and it's a language I've always wanted to learn. I took two or
three semesters of introductory French at university (about 8 or 9 years ago) and did
some self-study, but I never really picked up the spoken part -- I can still decipher a
newspaper article or TV program with some difficulty, but basic conversation eludes me.

My question is, can anyone recommend a good book or system for learning French with the
help of my native speaker girlfriend? Like most native speakers she really has no
experience teaching her own language or explaining grammatical concepts. I think I'd
really like to start over from the beginning, just for review purposes, because there
are huge gaps in my memory.

In terms of learning style, I prefer a more systematic explanation of grammar and
annotated real-world examples; one of the self-study books I used was designed for
academics to be able to understand journal articles in French, and it stepped through
grammar concepts with a self-quiz you did using an index card to cover the answers. I
forget the name, but I found this approach really worked for me, though it might not be
as useful for conversation as it was for reading.

I have experience learning foreign languages -- I learned Turkmen in the Peace Corps
and studied Russian at university for several years; I also taught conversational
English in a few dodgy unlicensed schools around Central Asia, so I have at least some
conception of what works and what doesn't for language teaching.

I'm basically looking for advice on the fastest and best way to learn conversational
French with the help of a native speaker who has no teaching experience. If anyone can
recommend a particular book or system, that would be great (note that I am the type of
learner who MUST see a word written down to really learn it). I'd also be interested to
hear suggestions for what my girlfriend can do to best help me learn. We're both busy
people so want to make my language learning time as efficient as possible!

Thanks, and apologies if this forum is the wrong place for this post.
1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5675 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 2 of 5
26 April 2011 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
stuffisthings wrote:
My question is, can anyone recommend a good book or system for learning French with the help of my native speaker girlfriend?

I have no experience with such a situation, but if I had a spouse or girlfriend who was fluent in my target language, and was eager to help me, I would ask her to do the following:

1. If you are just starting the second language: Ask her to repeat everything she says in the target language. "What time is it? Quelle heure est-il?" All the time, for everything. Answer in French if you can, but in English when you can't. Encourage her to translate your English responses into French.

2. When you become more fluent: French only for everything. Hard work, but the method is very easy, and sure to work if you stick with the plan.

To me, this would be a language learner's dream come true.

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5280 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Studies: French

Message 3 of 5
27 April 2011 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Polyglot Stuart Jay Raj wrote a blog entry on this very topic called:
Walking Dictionaries

He describes how this can quickly become relationship threatening as well as some tips for doing it safely and
effectively.
2 persons have voted this message useful

stuffisthings
Diglot
United States
amoondisaster.w
Joined 4770 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, Turkmen

Message 4 of 5
27 April 2011 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, these are good tips. (Un)fortunately, since we both live in England, I don't have
much opportunity to use her as a 'human dictionary' nor do we spend much time around
other French speakers. Anyway, since we are soon returning to our respective countries
for a few months, my plan is to make time each week on Skype to discuss French news
articles in French, since we are both news junkies and love to argue (she will probably
enjoy having my linguistic advantage neutralized in these arguments as well =)

But I am still trying to find the ideal book or program that I can use to get to a level
where I can engage in any sort of sensible conversation at all. Can anyone recommend
something that might be suited to someone in my situation, or perhaps link me to a thread
outlining some of the advantages/disadvantages of different programs?

boisjolie
United States
Joined 5102 days ago

26 posts - 40 votes
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 5 of 5
27 April 2011 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Bonjour stuffisthings,

If you want a good method to learn conversational French, I'd check out the Assimil series.

It tends to be the favorite of a lot of members around here. Currently I'm working through Spanish With Ease, and it's an entertaining method that teaches efficiently.

Here's a link to UK Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Ease-Assimil-Method-Books/dp/ 2700520130/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303933966&sr=8-1

This includes both the course book and the accompanying recordings.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version