Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Japanese from scratch TAC 2015 東亜

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
1702 messages over 213 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 209 ... 212 213 Next >>
kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 1665 of 1702
09 August 2015 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
I finished my accounting class and it's such a relief to be have that distraction out of the way. I passed in
the last assignment on Monday. Of course now I'm focusing on Japanese and my trip this September. It's
funny how my boss asked me if I would be coming back and based on my reaction he's all thinking it's
possible I won't although I probably will. I will come back but as I've posted here I'm looking to move there
and teach English so I think that came across when I answered him hehe.

So I thought I would never look at Core 6k/10k again but I am. What happened is that I got this offer from
Brainscape to download their new Spanish deck at a discount since I bought the old one already. I didn't
buy it but I'm kind of wishing I did but then again I probably won't study it anyway so I shouldn't feel bad.
However, one of the selling points of the new deck is that they got a bunch of linguists to help them develop
a deck that gave great context for the prompt on side one of the flashcard. Brainscape is a big believer in
learning material so that you can produce it rather than passively recognize it. I don't have the example
offhand but you an probably find it online via Google. It looked pretty good actually. Of course, when you
thinking about it, you hardly need a linguist to develop a deck like that for you. Just put a sentence on side
one and there's your context. Closed delete decks do this etc. I never put English sentences on side one
however. So I adjusted my Core deck to do an English sentence on side one with the English
definition/translation of the target word below in slightly smaller font. I want to make myself look at the
sentence to create a context as I go through the deck instead of just seeing the English translation first and
not bothering with the sentence.

I've only been doing it a day but it's fun. The benefit over closed delete is that it's faster and easier. At
least so it seems right now. Of course side two I get the kanjified vocal and Japanese sentence and the
native sentence audio. As I mentioned in a previous post, the grammar is generally pretty low level. But the
benefit is a pretty good English translation prompt to work with and native audio and it's already made I
don't have to make it. I'm pretty happy with it at the moment. I don't know what I'm going to do with the
Kanji in Context material I was playing with. I would like to do that too - closed delete. Working off several
decks is generally hard for me - I just get into one deck and get through that and feel like I'm done for the
day.

However, I need to learn all the N2 grammar so my N2 grammar deck is a must. I'm adjusting it to closed
delete instead of making myself create a whole sentence however. I think it would work if the vocabulary
were all super simple but sometimes the examples from the book use vocabulary that I may know but isn't
really tip of the tongue and it makes doing the reps more difficult and I need it to be easy or I'll skip too
many days.

I let my membership with www.japonin.com or Japanese Online Institute run out. I've taken lessons with
them for a couple years now and they've been great. Their 50 minute lessons are designed around teaching
you a grammar point and it's small classes 2-5 people. If you're lucky even one on one if nobody else
signed up for the lesson. However, it's not like a class where you get tested and have a syllabus and they
drill you on stuff from previous lessons. Well some teachers don't do the latter so much but it's still on a
test, motivating you to review. So I don't think I learned the grammar so well unless it were something I
drilled myself too or just was common enough to come up again and again in my studies. But the lessons
are fantastic listening and speaking practice because they don't speak any English. They prepare lesson
notes in English for the slides and stuff but they don't speak any English at all. This was invaluable in
getting me to a level where I could have a conversation. I may sign up again with them later - they do offer
lessons up through N1 level so it's a good resource but I'm going to Japan anyway coming up and I'd rather
focus on doing some good self study. I lost a few credits for classes that I had purchased and hadn't
gotten a chance to use so that's a shame but can't be helped. I bought too many to begin with I think.

I recently got a Mac Book Pro 13''. I actually got one about 5 weeks ago but returned it then got the 15''
top of the line and then returned it and got the 13'' again. I'm really happy with it despite what you may
think. When I got it the first time I love it immediately but then got upset that I could barely play Warcraft
and figured if I were going to get a new machine I should get one that could at least play an older game on
high settings. The 15'' can do that pretty much but it's big. If you look at the measurements it's only 1 lb
heavier but carrying it around my apartment felt like I was moving my desktop computer from room to room
and going to bed with it etc.   Just seemed weird. The 13'' on the other hand isn't too much different than
the iPad although it is bigger it feels like a portable device. In the end, having something that I wanted to
carry around with me was more important. It also has the benefit of better battery life too by a few hours
and is significantly cheaper - although I would be ok paying more for something if I wanted it more.

I successfully got kanjitomo going on OS X Yosemite last night which made me really happy. I can now
read manga in bed with a powerful OCR dictionary at my fingertips. Right now, the only program I can't use
on OS X that I want is subs2srs. I'm reading about VirtualBox and I am pretty sure it works fine with
subs2srs from what I've read. My MacMini 2014 can dual boot windows 7 but the new mac book pros
2015 can't - they don't support Windows 7 because it's too old apparently and Apple is on the Microsoft
bandwagon making people upgrade. I think VirtualBox could care less however and will let you use any
version of Windows you want.

I just remembered I signed up for an iTalki session with a new teacher today.. I think. I haven't gotten any
reminders. I hope I didn't miss it.
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4477 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 1666 of 1702
09 August 2015 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
However, I need to learn all the N2 grammar so my N2 grammar deck is a must. I'm adjusting it to closed
delete instead of making myself create a whole sentence however. I think it would work if the vocabulary
were all super simple but sometimes the examples from the book use vocabulary that I may know but isn't
really tip of the tongue and it makes doing the reps more difficult and I need it to be easy or I'll skip too
many days.

So are you typing in the example sentences or the exercises from 新完全マスター to create the cloze delete cards or something else?

So far I've not found a good way of using Anki to learn grammar and in fact the only thing I've found so far that seems to work is
to do the exercises, track what's obviously not sunk in yet, study and then try the same exercises again a few days later. That's
all quite time-consuming, as you might imagine!

kraemder
Joined 4996 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 1667 of 1702
10 August 2015 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
kraemder wrote:
However, I need to learn all the N2 grammar so my N2
grammar deck is a must. I'm adjusting it to closed
many days.

So are you typing in the example sentences or the exercises from 新完全マスター to create the cloze delete
cards or something else?

So far I've not found a good way of using Anki to learn grammar and in fact the only thing I've found so far
that seems to work is
to do the exercises, track what's obviously not sunk in yet, study and then try the same exercises again a
few days later. That's
all quite time-consuming, as you might imagine!

umm I've played around with a couple methods. I think closed delete is the best . There's an anki
grammar deck that's closed delete that seems pretty popular but I don't like it because it doesn't explain
the grammar very much. I have to say that the only thing that truly works for me is making myself use the
grammar in conversation. So the grammar that's hard to work into conversation I'm bad at..

I was thinking of doing closed deletes with the grammar explanation too on side one of the card. Yes I was
copying the grammar explanations into anki. I'm rather liking the English sentences on side 1 to go with
vocabulary that I'm doing right now however but it's only been a couple of days. But if I continue liking it
then I may make grammar cards with an English translation of the target sentence on side one and the
explanation and make myself think of the grammar point and its rules (what verb forms/nouns etc, 接続). I
need to get myself doing grammar on anki/flashcards deluxe or I won't do it often enough to make it stick I
fear. I'm bad at breaking open text books and doing that but using my computer/smart phone/tablet
seems to take less will power. I actually entered ALL the example sentences and exercises from the first 4
chapters of 新完全マスター into anki but then I didn't study it. I since determined that for each grammar
point I should just do one or maybe two sentences. The key is to make it easier so I'll actually DO it.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5937 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 1668 of 1702
10 August 2015 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
Yeah, yeah, yeah, our class we're doing 完全マスター and my textbook is completely thrashed going over these grammar points the last few years. I think by now though, I do seem to be doing a little better. Originally I was learning and forgetting right away, and now I'm learning and maybe forgetting by the next week or so. My new system is at home I read the chapter descriptions of the grammar, and then I do exercises but don't check answers. I go to class, and we do them aloud one by one, and if I screw up, I just screw up and read the wrong answer in front of everyone.   For us it's all about the silly "!" type warnings. We go over those, and I don't know -- they're so hard to keep track of really, but there you go.

kraemder
Joined 4996 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 1669 of 1702
10 August 2015 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
Just made myself do some of the reviews of the super 新完全マスター 文法 deck that I made and it's really
nice. I just have to make myself do it. I'm not taking accounting anymore so I have some more time. I don't
think I'll ever stop studying vocabulary - it's the most important thing right now for speaking and
understanding anime. The grammar is more for the N2. And because I kinda want to know it too just not as
much.

Studying vocabulary is like taking a college course unto itself. Likewise grammar. And writing kanji. Sure,
when you take a Japanese course they mix it all together but you can totally separate them out. When you
look at the course I took at the community college it was strong on grammar but weak on kanji and
vocabulary. Because one college course wasn't really enough for all of that. It makes all the sense in the
world to forget about writing kanji for a while except I'm going to Japan and they value it enough to include it
in their course =/. I dunno. I suspect I'm going to focus on vocabulary and grammar even though I'll get
embarrassed with my kanji writing later.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5937 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 1670 of 1702
10 August 2015 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, for me as long as I do anything at all, I figure that's good. Kanji, grammar, vocabulary, it's all good.

kraemder
Joined 4996 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 1671 of 1702
15 August 2015 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
It's not too often I find a good anime that's really different from the rest. I'm watching エリン on
Crunchyroll. I think it came out in 2011 about or so and it's 720p (nice step up from 480p so I'm thankful
for that). The artwork feels older however which is very much in line with the fantasy theme - it takes place
in a medieval setting with fantasy creatures although I don't think I've seen any 'magic' by people. Just a
few animals, well one, the オオジョウ (I might be spelling that wrong) seem a bit magical to me. What I
love about this anime is that it's fantasy - it doesn't take place in a real world and the characters ring
incredibly true. It's amazing. But it's also a bit of a weird anime. When you watch the first few shows it's
just like a kids anime. The main character is a 10 year old girl (maybe younger?). She and her friends.
And then this -terrible- tragedy occurs. It's unbelievable. I'm 30 episodes in and she's now a teenager or
young adult but it took a while for that to happen. Anyway - if you think you might like it I recommend it. I
personally didn't cry but it's sad and per the comments other people have. I'm very concerned right now
that I'll watch all 50 episodes or whatever it is and it'll be a big tragedy in the end. I was up until 4:30 am
last night watching it O.o.. I turned on the subs because I don't want to miss -any- of the plot but a lot of
the Japanese isn't too hard. Except when it is hard (probably because they're using older/non used
vocabulary some to go with the setting). I could totally just watch without subs and then rewind if I missed
something important. I guess that's on me.   
2 persons have voted this message useful

kraemder
Joined 4996 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 1672 of 1702
23 August 2015 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
I finished エリン. It was a great ending that didn't disappoint. I may rewatch it again especially if I can find
the subs somewhere but I'm not in a big hurry. My big goal for Japanese now is to read as much as I can.
I would go nuts on how to study flashcards to learn vocabulary, because, well, my goal has always been to
better understand anime and kanji are a pain and they don't really come into that. If you study to read - i.e.
recognition flashcards then you may not see such great progress in your ability to understand TV shows
and to speak. But if you study production, to remember the Japanese, then I think you'll see faster results
with anime. That was my experience but the production flashcards were hard and so it was a big dilemma.

I'm now pushing to read. I am going to neglect any flashcards that aren't oriented with that goal in mind.
I'm reading a light novel on a website right now. It takes place in the world of Elder Tale so it's a fantasy
story. That's pretty much my favorite genre so it's a bit of a pain but if I get through the hard parts and
used to the new genre specific vocabulary it'll open up some doors for me. I'm confident that heavy
reading is going to help the rest of my Japanese too. It's probably the only way to get to an advanced level
where you really understand spoken Japanese well.

My trip to Japan is coming up. I'm pretty excited but it's a bit surreal. I have Japanese money, my phone
will work in Japan, and I have no idea what else to do to get ready.

Edited by kraemder on 23 August 2015 at 9:25pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 1702 messages over 213 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version