Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 15
21 March 2011 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Form the Esperantist who wants to travel with me to the Universala Kongreso this summer, I received a text in Danish about the famous Danish polyglot Rasmus Rask.

Here are some links:

Rasmus Rask in English (Wikipedia)

Rasmus Rask in Dutch by University of Groningen

He was a university librarian, a professor of litarary history and a later a professor of oriental languages.

Quote from Wikipedia:

"In 1822, he was master of no fewer than twenty-five languages and dialects, and he is stated to have studied twice as many".

Fasulye

PS: EDIT with correct hyperlinks!

Edited by Fasulye on 22 March 2011 at 4:43pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 15
21 March 2011 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
Hi fasulye

I havne't much time because I have to do soemthings but I want to tell you that it's muhc better if you put the links like this, because the people can click on that and go directly to the page (without to must copy, paste, new tab etc):

English: Rask

Dutch: Rask

It's especially easier like that on this forum because it's a nasty bug which put in a space in the links.

groetjes
Kuikentje

Unfortunately, I have never learned how to create such links. Could somebody please explain this to me? Thanks in advance!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 22 March 2011 at 7:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5057 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 4 of 15
21 March 2011 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:

Unfortunately I have never learned how to create such links. Could somebody please explain this to me? Thanks in advance!

Hello Fasulye,
when you are writing a post there are several buttons : Bold, Italic, Underlined and the forth one is it: A globe or something like that, its named AddCode, when you click it, there is a two step procedure:
At first you enter the text you want to be seen in your message, click o.k. and now you enter the actual hyperlink, the address http://xxx (I use to copy it from the linked page itself instead of typing it, bad typer, good copycat ...). When you click o.k. for the second time, the html code of the link is inserted into your text, at the end, I think. (It is a little bit annoying that you may have to extract it from there and insert it again where you want it, but if you play around with it for a while, by using the preview and before sending the message, you can learn how and if it works.)
Just give it a try!

Edited by lingoleng on 21 March 2011 at 9:00pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 15
22 March 2011 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
I use another method: I write [URL=   followed without any spaces by the link address, which I copy from the address field of the homepage (one more copycat!), and right after this a ]. Then I write the visible text and [/URL].

So a link to the article about Rasmus Rask in the Big Danish Encyclopedia would look something like this in the edit box:

[URL=http://www.denstoredanske.dk/Samfund,_jura_og_politik/Sprog/ Sprogforskeres_biografier/Rasmus_Kristian_Rask]Store Danske ordbog[/URL]

The visible part would be Store Danske ordbog

And yes, Rasmus Rask was a very interesting and extremely gifted person. When he was born he was extremely small, so that he could fit into his fathers wooden shoe. When he grew up he visited Iceland, and it is told that he adopted Icelandic clothes and became so proficient in Icelandic that even the locals couldn't hear that he wasn't a native speaker. And later on he went of course on to describe some of the systematic sound shifts that define different languages, which made him one of the fathers of historical linguistics. He died when he was just 45 years old.

You can read parts of his description of Ancient Persian here ... in Danish, of course    

There is a short article about Rask and the 'pasigraph' here - a pasipgraph is something like a 'thought writing'. In this article there is one quote that tells about his study methods - you get it with a hyperliteral translation because that's more fun to write:

Rasks kærlighed til sprog viste sig allerede i latinskolen i Odense.
Rask's love to language showed itself already in LatinschoolThe in Odense.

En af hans lærere tilbød ekstraundervisning i engelsk i sit hjem – det var ikke skolefag dengang –
One of his teachers offered extra-teaching in English in his home - it was not school-subject thattime -

og hos ham bemærkede Rask et eksemplar af den islandske saga Heimskringla.
and by him noticed Rask a specimen of the Icelandic saga Heimskringla ('tale of home')

Den fik han lov at låne, og uden lærebog eller grammatik lærte han sig islandsk af den.
That got he permission to borrow, and without textbook or grammar taught he himself Icelandic of it.

Han var næsten hele livet overbevist om at islandsk var identisk med oldnordisk;
He was almost all lifeThe convinced about that Icelandic was identical with OldNorse

det er ikke helt rigtigt, men troen ansporede ham til at kortlægge hele den indoeuropæiske sprogfamilie.
It is not quite correct, but beliefThe to-spurred him to to map-lay all the Indoeuropean languagefamily.

Edited by Iversen on 22 March 2011 at 2:08am

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6011 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 7 of 15
22 March 2011 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
He certainly was prolific wasn't he? The wikipedia article shows him publishing works in at least three languages. His Anglo-Saxon grammar must have been something if the English found it useful to translate it into English. It's almost shameful that a Dane would be more interested in Anglo-Saxon than an Englishman.

A remarkable polyglot. Thanks Fasulye.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 15
22 March 2011 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
   Lingoleng has explained, but I want to add the pictrues, personally I find the things easier if you can see the pictures.

When you write your post, you will see:

You must chose and click on the little icon:

Then you will see a pop-up. You must write the text which you want will be in your post. Click for continue

Then you will see a second pop-up. You must write the URL, that's the link, website's address. Click for continue.

Then the link will be in your post!! If you can't do this or it doesn't fucntion, I'd be happy to explain more.

Kuikentje

Thanks for this excellent explanation, Kuikentje! I will try it out to create such a hyperlink here.

Books written by Rasmus Rask

WOW, this is so simple and it works!!!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 22 March 2011 at 4:36pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version