Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4413 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 49 of 57
02 November 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
My nickname in Asia (mostly Japan and Korea) is Mathi (マティ, 마티), the reason being
that weirdly it seems they had difficulty with Mathias when I first went to Korea. I
don't really understand why (since they can write it マティアス and 마티아스) but well, I
got used to it.

The nickname I use here (and for everything related to language only), yuhakko, comes
from a small creation from my part. the "yu" comes from the chinese 语 (Language), then
the "hak" comes from the korean 학 (study) and finally the "ko" comes from the japanese 子
(child). So all together it'd be something like 语학子. I like to think it means something
like "the child learning languages"
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 50 of 57
02 November 2013 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
My nickname comes from a song called Serpent Ride. If I write it with pen and paper I like to draw a snake instead of the letter S.

I'm sometimes told: aw, your nickname means snake in French! ummm in English too :D
I'm also occasionally called Serp and I like this form too - interestingly, it kinda makes sense etymologically, look at Romanian and Spanish too.

In Russian I write/pronounce it as Сёрпент, my friend also came up with the version пёнтик (pøntik, kinda - there's also the Finnish brand Pentik haha)

utu
Diglot
Finland
Joined 4585 days ago

9 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French

Message 51 of 57
13 December 2013 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
For my nickname, I picked the letters from the beginning of my real name and mixed them
(sounds really random when I explain it like this - and I guess it is), but 'utu' also
means haze or mist in Finnish. I checked how it would be translated in French, and I have
to say I'm a little dissapointed: la brume légère. It sounds like food. But then again,
what's wrong with food!
1 person has voted this message useful

schmoo
United States
Joined 3332 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 52 of 57
14 April 2015 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
I don't have a nick name. but as a kid my family nicked name me the "weasel".

English: the weasel
German: das Wiesel
Czech: lasička
Indonsian: musang

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 53 of 57
14 April 2015 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
but what about schmoo? :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 54 of 57
14 April 2015 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Tarvos is a three-horned bull in Celtic mythology, cognate with Latin "tauros", but spelt
in the Celtic way. It comes from a song of the same name by a Swiss folk metal band
called Eluveitie ("I am the Helvetian") who sing about the Celtic heritage and history of
their country. You can add the epithet "Trigaranus" (three-horned).

All you need to do is thus translate the word for "bull" to your own language and you are
set.

Edited by tarvos on 14 April 2015 at 4:59pm

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4449 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 55 of 57
14 April 2015 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Medulin (in Croatian) = Medolino (in Italian) = my city

In Croatian, Medolino is a sort of honey-flavored baby food. ;)
MED = honey
MEDO LINO = Lino the bear

Edited by Medulin on 14 April 2015 at 8:38pm

schmoo
United States
Joined 3332 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 56 of 57
16 April 2015 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
Serpent,

Shmoo was my grandmothers dogs name. my grandmother got the name from an old comic character named shmoo. The meaning of schmoo originated from the Yiddish word "schmo" "schmooze" or "shmue" meaning uterus:)

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version