United States
Joined 4825 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 3 of 57
13 March 2011 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:

In this thread / game you must write your nick, and then translate it in some other languages.
If it's impossible to translate it, and anyway, then you must tell why you chose it. This must be in one language and with a translation in English or German or Japanese or Russian.

Kartof (Bulgarian)

Potato- English
Papa- Spanish
Kartoffel- German

Edited by Iversen on 31 October 2011 at 1:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4793 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 4 of 57
13 March 2011 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
My nickname is my name (first two initials and surname). It's going to be the same in any language. Basically. Except...

It could be this in Russian:ЮДМонкада

The D in Moncada in authentic Spanish (it's a Mexican name in my case) is pronounced as a voiced TH. I don't know that Russian or Japanese has that. I also figured out how ti write my name in Hiragana last week.

Edited by jdmoncada on 13 March 2011 at 7:40pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 57
13 March 2011 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
I have a fairly boring nick, as it consists of my two given names, Solfrid and Cristina (there was no room for the last "a" in Cristina so I ended up with Solfrid Cristin).

Solfrid is an old Norse name, and means "beautiful as the sun". It is considered a very pretty name in Norwegian, and is relatively rare, but unfortunately foreigners usually think it as a man's name. (Sigfried)

Cristina is the name of an early martyr, shortened from Latin Christiana "a Christian (woman)". This is a name I actually chose myself at age of 20, because I needed an international name before going to Spain for my studies.

I took Cristina in memory of Princess Kristina of Tunsberg (my home town) who was daughter of the Norwegian king Håkon the 4th and sister of King Magnus Lagabøte. To strengthen the diplomatic relations with Spain she was given in marriage to Don Felipe, the brother of King Alfonso the 10th in 1284. Her end was rather sad. She died at the age of 28, according to the legend out of longing for the snow of her native Norway. Still according to the legend, her husband planted masses of almond trees, in the hope that the blossoms of the trees would take away some of her longing.

As a child I visited her grave, and layed down wild flowers in the colours of red, white and blue, of the Norwegian flag on it. It felt natural to take that name, since at that time my big dream was to move to Spain and marry a Spaniard.
4 persons have voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5094 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 6 of 57
13 March 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
My nick also consists of my given names, though Mona is not officially my middle name.

Renée is the female version of René which is derived from the late Roman name Renatus, meaning reborn. Mona has a whole host of meanings but my favourite is "moon" in Old English. So I'm RebornMoon. ;) As for translations, it's Herboren Maan in Dutch and I guess Lune Renée in French.

Christina, I feel your pain about having "a man's name". The male form René is more common than Renée in the Netherlands so wherever I go I am greeted with a "Oh, we thought you would be a boy". And don't even get me started on the ways people find to misspell it...

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 57
13 March 2011 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:

Christina, I feel your pain about having "a man's name". The male form René is more common than Renée in the Netherlands so wherever I go I am greeted with a "Oh, we thought you would be a boy". And don't even get me started on the ways people find to misspell it...

Thanks! Oh, and try walking around Europe as Solfrid Truber Hammersmark for a while, and you will see misspelling taken to an art form...
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sanghee
Groupie
United States
Joined 4827 days ago

60 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 8 of 57
13 March 2011 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
My nick is my Koren name 상희. I haven't yet chosen a Chinese name so as far as I know it has no meaning and can't really be translated to another language.

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version