Diglot
Austria
Joined 4617 days ago

11 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Mandarin, Lithuanian

Message 9 of 14
26 October 2011 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
In school I learned this Austrian version of cursive and continued to use it for a long time. There are a few differences to some German ones, especially S and z were terrible for me as a child when deciphering letters of my German friend… Now my handwriting has some elements of the older version of Austrian cursive and of print forms in it.
(And it looks like this…)
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6453 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 10 of 14
26 October 2011 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
I always write cursive when I write by hand. I use the one I was taught in school with some minor adjustments. I do
the capital letters ad hoc, because I never remember how they were suppose to look so I just make some swirly
looking letter when I need one. I tend to be inconsistent regarding the letter t, half of the time I use the one taught
in school made by a single line, half the time I write an L, and then go back to add the horizontal stroke to make it a
t. The letter Z is so rare in Swedish that few remember how it’s suppose to be written. In school we’re taught the 3-
looking one. I sometimes use that, sometimes use the z-looking variant. Sometimes I do not bind s, b, j, y and g,
sometimes I do. In Sweden we’re taught to bind them. X always confuse me. In my signature I use the long-s.

I can also write Sütterlin and Kurrentschrift, because I like to know how to. Occasionally I do.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5487 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 11 of 14
26 October 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Here's a link to the "k" referenced by the OP.

Hampie wrote:

I can also write Sütterlin and Kurrentschrift, because I like to know how to. Occasionally I do.

Hampie, I'm so jealous, I would love to be able to write Sütterlin! It's still on my "to-do" list of random things to learn. :)

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5622 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 12 of 14
27 October 2011 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
I learned cursive Z like this: http://www.janbrett.com/alphabet/cursive_alphabet_z_zebra.ht m
I always thought it was very strange looking, as it's so different from print z.
I think my cursive looks atrocious and childish but strangely, I always get complimented on it.
I always wanted to learn to do the extreme flourishes, perhaps one day I will.

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4282 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 13 of 14
01 September 2012 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
I love writing in cursive. I would consider my handwriting as good, as I sometimes receive compliments on
it. But I wish I could show some samples of my father's perfect, elegant handwriting in cursive.
Unfortunately, he now suffers from Parkinson's disease, so he has little control over his voluntary muscular
movements, but still his cursive is impressive, provided he has had enough medication to calm his
trembling.

In one of the exams I took as part of my admission to my country's foreign service (where one has to have
to pass a series of five exams given over the period of a year or two), we were instructed to write only in
cursive. We had to write for three consecutive days. The examination periods would last from around eight
in the morning until five in the afternoon. After three day of non-stop writing our hands felt quite cramped.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 14
01 September 2012 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
My handwriting is terrible but I almost always write in cursive unless block letters are
specifically requested (and I write even more cursive in Cyrillic)

Edited by tarvos on 01 September 2012 at 6:15pm

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version