Sionis
United States
Joined 4681 days ago

33 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Romanian

Message 17 of 21
09 July 2011 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
I am a new language learner, but one day (with hard work and time obviously) I would like to know a few languages. The reasons behind that has a lot to do with travel, but also culture understanding. Over the past couple of years, I've gained a large interest in Central and Eastern Europe, as well as the former USSR states, so naturally with that interest also comes an interest in the various languages being spoken in that region of the world. Though I have toyed with the idea of learning German (good language for Eastern European travel, and one of the more dominant languages in central Europe) or Romanian (official language of Romania and Moldova, and apparently wildly understood in certain areas of Ukraine and Hungary), the Slavic languages (West and South Slavic) is much more interesting for my personality.

Everyone I can only assume has a little bit of a different answer on why they would want to learn a foreign language, or become a Polyglot, but that's mainly my reasons. Some personal and future career reasons as well.

Edited by Sionis on 09 July 2011 at 1:04am

1 person has voted this message useful

Zarmutek
United States
twitter.com/manueljoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4506 days ago

28 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 21
08 August 2013 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
There are some truly beautiful replies in this thread.

While I am not a polyglot yet, I have already chosen to become one. Why? For a number of reasons. For
one, I've always been fascinated by the thought of being able to speak in foreign tongues. I also want to be
able to communicate with an wide range of people, not just English-speaking ones. I'm currently studying
International Business, and knowing other languages for work will be necessary.

And - just perhaps - I may be interested in using my languages to find love.

So, a number of reasons.

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4115 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 19 of 21
08 August 2013 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Because:

- Language learning keeps my brain on its toes (now that's an interesting mental image...).
- It enables me to talk with a wider range of people than I would with only my mother tongue, and learn a multitude of new standpoints.
- It pushes me to learn things I never knew about other countries' histories, cultures and literature.
- All of the above, and a few other reasons that I can't bring to mind right now.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Universum
Diglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3924 days ago

9 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: English*, GermanB2
Studies: French

Message 20 of 21
08 August 2013 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
Sometimes for fun, but mostly it's just pride and vanity.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version