Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4811 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 1 of 7
09 February 2011 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
This article reviews the latest translation of Flaubert's masterpiece, comparing it with previous attempts to "English" it. It might be of interest to anyone who ever wondered what a good translation should be like, and what are the limitations that result in something that always falls short of the original.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v32/n22/julian-barnes/writers-writer-an d-writers-writers-writer

[Linking doesn't work for new members...]

Edited by espejismo on 09 February 2011 at 11:43am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 7
14 February 2011 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
This just goes to prove that one man's meat is another man's poison. I am happy for you that you love the book, personally I have tried to read it several times and have never reached beyond page 50.

1 person has voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6076 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 4 of 7
05 March 2011 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
This just goes to prove that one man's meat is another man's poison. I am happy for you that you love the book, personally I have tried to read it several times and have never reached beyond page 50.

Have you tried the audiobook? I remember someone mentioning they had the same problem with Proust, but listened to in French as an audio book, it's like music!
2 persons have voted this message useful

tornus
Diglot
GroupieRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4903 days ago

82 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Swedish, Danish

Message 5 of 7
05 March 2011 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

funny, i did the same, i never managed to read this book in the original language eventhough french is my native language

Edited by tornus on 05 March 2011 at 2:56pm

Squalido
Triglot
Venezuela
Joined 4721 days ago

7 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 7
27 April 2011 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
I read that the importance of Flaubert was his compulsive use of imperfect past. That made his style incredibly descriptive. In Madame Bovary he still didn't completely develop this style, so I wonder how difficult must be to translate to English his later works like "Sentimental Education". I know that the imperfect past does not exist in English, but perhaps it is possibly to accomplish in a translation an equivalent of the continuous description and even of the rhythm.

Mork the Fiddle
United States
Joined 3729 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 7 of 7
24 May 2015 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Have you tried the audiobook? I remember someone mentioning they had the same problem with Proust, but listened to in French as an audio book, it's like music!

Hearing the same thing about listening to Proust, I tried it, and it's true. A narrator with a good voice turns the written novel into quite a pleasant experience (though I don't know about the "music" part).

And because I myself have never got past page 10 of Madame Bovary, I will give listening to it a try.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version