Language Learning Forum : Multilingual Lounge Post Reply
50 messages over 7 pages: 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>
clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4937 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 17 of 50
03 November 2011 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
對 有人說泰語及粵語很相似

最近我學習了點壯語
他們的語言和泰語很類似
也有固有的漢字啊
很棒兒啊

1 person has voted this message useful

suitbar33
Diglot
China
Joined 4479 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC1

Message 18 of 50
24 December 2011 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I was wondering if anyone Francophones living in Sydney who may be interested in engaging
some sort of mandarin conversations with me....I really would love to improve my French
by talking with natives like u guys in order to familiarise myself with the incoming
study in 2012....If you have the same idea of communicating and hopefully obtaining
achieving some basic level of mandarin-speaking skills, please do not hesitate to contact
me! It's a win-win vantage for both of us presumably...My e-mail is
cyan6300@uni.sydney.edu.au.

Jamie

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6341 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 19 of 50
28 December 2011 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
tornus wrote:
i thought mandarin and cantonese have the same writing system, only the pronunciation changes, is this wrong?

lanni wrote:
You are right.

This is a bit late, but reading this I feel the need to correct this statement, to avoid misunderstandings. Mandarin and Cantonese are different in pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar. It's a common misconception that the languages are written the same way, because most books published in Hong Kong are written in a way clearly legible to Mandarin speakers. This is, however, because they are written in Mandarin, not Cantonese. Even though most Hong Kongers will pronounce the characters in Cantonese, this does not mean it's Cantonese, anymore than reading German with an English accent is English.

你有冇咁叻呀,識睇呢啲字?

lanni wrote:
1) like (Eng) - xi huan (Mandarin) - zhong yee (Canto)
中意(zhōngyì)

This is probably the same root, though it's usually written as "鍾意" in Cantonese.

Quote:
2) dislike - bu xi huan - mmm zhong yee
不中意(bùzhōngyì) ,in some local dialects, 不switches to 没 pronounced as "mu", eg. 没事(músì)

The Cantonese negative 唔 (pronounced "m4" or "ng4" in Juytping) is probably a derivative of 無 (pronounced "mou4" in Jyutping).

Quote:
3) eat - chi - sek
塞 (sāi)        In colloquial mandarin, 塞 can be a rude verb meaning "to eat", pronounced as "sēi"

Actually it's 食 (sik6). Cantonese preserves the old way of using 食 and 飲 as verbs, the way they work in Classical Chinese, whereas Mandarin has changed and constructed the new characters 吃 and 喝.

Quote:
4) drink - he - yum
饮 (yǐn)

Correct. See above.

Quote:
6) what - shen me - mat yeh
么邪(mayé),    邪 is an ancient way of showing questioning manner.

This is written in Cantonese as "乜嘢". I'm not sure about the etymology here, but the 乜 is actually the equivalent of Mandarin 什麼 (what), and the 嘢 means "thing" (東西). In Cantonese, you usually say "what thing" and not just "what". That's a difference in grammar between the two languages.

Quote:
11) dirty - an zhang - lat tat/la zha
邋遢 (lāta)
拉杂 (lāzá)
腌臜 (āza) , I read this word in 《水浒传》(written more than 600 years ago)

The Cantonese "lat tat" (laat6 taat3) is indeed 邋遢, and the "la zha" (laa5 zaa2) I've seen written as 嗱喳, but there are more variants, and I suspect it's a cognate of the "拉杂" you mention. The most common Cantonese word for "dirty", however, is in my experience 污糟 (wu1 zou1).

Quote:
13) potato - ma ling shu - shuet zai
I don't think it counts.    I never say potato in Chinese as 马铃薯(mǎlíngshǔ),it is the bookish name, I say 土豆(tǔdòu) as a northerner. So southerners must also have other nicknames for potato that I have no idea.

"Shuet zai" (syu4 zai2) is written as 薯仔. The "薯" is a character for "potato" used in Mandarin as well, and the "仔" is probably a cognate of the Mandarin "子".

Quote:
14) rain - xia yu - lok yu
落雨(luòyǔ)

Correct. Cantonese often uses 落 where Mandarin uses 下.

Quote:
16) night - wan shang - ye man
夜晚 (yèwǎn)

Correct. This is a difference in usage. 夜晚 is correct in Mandarin, but not as common.

Quote:
18) agree - da ying - yeng seng
应声(yīngshēng)

Actually 應承.

Quote:
19) otherwise - bu ran - wah zheh
反之(fǎnzhī),e.g. "反之亦然"(vice versa)
否则 (fǒuzé)     Can I say mandarin consonant "f" systemically corresponds to cantonese consonant "w" in this case?

Actually, this is simply 或者 (waak6 ze2), a common word in both Mandarin and Cantonese. 反之 is "faan2 zi1" and 否则 is "fau2 zak1", so 'f' corresponds to 'f'.

Quote:
20) shut up - bi zhui - sao sang
收声 (shōushēng)

Correct.

Quote:
Beat me with the following 8 words
5) why - wei shen me - dim gai

Usually written as 點解 (dim2 gaai2). The 點 is probably a borrowed character (just like the 花 in 花錢). Some theorize it's actually a cognate of 怎, but 'z' in Mandarin doesn't seem to correspond to 'd' in Cantonese anywhere else. It might be a borrowing from one of the non-Sintic languages in the region.

Quote:
7) how - zhen me - dim miong

I think this is just a pretty bad attempt at romanizing 點樣 (dim2 joeng2). See above for 點.

Quote:
8) where - na li - bin dou

Usually written as 邊度 (bin1 dou6), though sometimes the 度 gets a mouth radical to signify that it's not actually the same 度 as in for example 程度. This 度 is a Cantonese character meaning "place". The 邊 means "which" in Cantonese, and is most likely a borrowed character, just like 點.

Quote:
9) who - shui - bin gor

邊個 (bin1 go3). Literally "which one".

Quote:
10) here/there - zhe li/na li - yee dou/gor dou

呢度/嗰度. The 呢 is pronounced "ni1" in old-fashioned speech, "li1" in colloquial language and sometimes shortened to "ji1". It means "this". Jsun above links it to Thai-Kadai languages above, which seems plausible but not conclusive to me. The 嗰 (go2) probably evolved out of 個 (go3). It means "that".

Quote:
12) waste - lang fei - sai yang

嘥樣 (saai1 jaeng1). The 嘥 is a cantonese word meaning "to waste". It can be used independently, but here it's a part of a bisyllabic expression, which is a borrowing from Malay "sayang". I haven't heard this one in Hong Kong, and CantoDict marks it as a Singaporean and Malaysian usage. The 嘥, however, is very common in Hong Kong. Not sure if its occurrence here is a happy coincidence or if the morpheme has its origin in this expression.

Quote:
15) tired - lei - gui

I'm at work and can't get this character (gui6) to display properly, but here's an image:

It's an old character used in classical times but has fallen out of use in Mandarin. It has been preserved in Cantonese.

Quote:
17) see - kan dao - tai dou

睇到 (tai2 dou2). Don't know about the etymology here. 睇 is the common Cantonese word for "to see".
2 persons have voted this message useful

lindseylbb
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4691 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 20 of 50
28 December 2011 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
要是有中文论坛该多好玩,不过这里会写汉字 的人多吗?ps,作为广东人,我只能听说读广 ��话,不懂写……我想粤普文字的关系大概 像� ��欧语言一样共用一套罗马字母吧?粤语保 留� ��许多古汉语文言文的用法,这也是我们广 东� ��引以为豪的一点~还有,管理员大概看不 懂� ��文……也许我自言自语中……

Edited by lindseylbb on 28 December 2011 at 1:41pm

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5614 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 21 of 50
24 January 2012 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
祝各位在这个龙年,新年快乐,学业进步, 心想事成!

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 4937 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese

Message 22 of 50
03 February 2012 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
俺也祝您们水龙年愉快!
水龙也有别的意思啊。
在中国及东亚洲的各国里春节很重要。

wuyou
Triglot
Groupie
Fiji
Joined 6564 days ago

90 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Japanese, English
Studies: French

Message 23 of 50
12 April 2012 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:
俺也祝您们水龙年愉快!
水龙也有别的意思啊。
在中国及东亚洲的各国里春节很重要。

你知道为什么是水龙吗?

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 4937 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 

Message 24 of 50
14 April 2012 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
wuyou wrote:
clumsy wrote:
俺也祝您们水龙年愉快!
水龙也有别的意思啊。
在中国及东亚洲的各国里春节很重要。

你知道为什么是水龙吗?

当然不是消防水龙啊。
我妈妈喜欢那种的事。